Poll

Should the 2020 Census include a question about citizenship?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Should the 2020 US Census ask about citizenship?  (Read 5848 times)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: Should the 2020 US Census ask about citizenship?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 10:00:27 PM »
Perhaps not all non-residents want to become citizens, but it would be worthwhile to have government programs in place to help those who do.  This would include English courses, civics courses, and perhaps job training programs. 

free, free and possibly free at laguardia cc, if one has a green card.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 10:35:36 PM »
Looks like the population in Queens is exploding. It seems we all better make room for more towers like being built on 72nd Street.

http://m.qchron.com/mobile/editions/queenswide/s-see-big-rise-in-qns-population-feds/article_cdce220f-3dfe-51f4-9617-7406c1db58a7.html

Offline Gordan

• Activist
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 11:38:28 PM »
The federal government could allocate dollars to areas with few citizens to teach them English and help them pass the test to become a citizen. This is one example. Critics will claim that it could be used to direct ICE agents.

This assumes everyone wants to become a citizen. This assumes non-citizens don't speak English or want to learn. I wonder why you have these assumptions and what the implication is. Plenty of permanent residents live here without ever becoming citizens - that is also 100% legal. Plenty of other people live here on legal statuses other than citizenship. There are also many people here without legal status for whom there is no path to citizenship even if they speak fluent English and know more civics than the average native born American because the federal government has made it crystal clear that they don't want to create a path - not even for DREAMERS, much less "illegal" immigrants who came here as adults. That possible proposal you posited is a reach at bestttttttt but more likely, just dishonest pretext. I encourage you to be less ignorant.

Perhaps not all non-residents want to become citizens, but it would be worthwhile to have government programs in place to help those who do.  This would include English courses, civics courses, and perhaps job training programs.  This seems reasonable to me.

The library offers English and citizenships classes. You would be glad to know many attend in an attempt to integrate and improve their life in America. Maybe making an attempt to volunteer your time and interact with "those" people would show that they are not all gun blasting, littering loiterers. The people I have met through this program were mineral engineers, physics teachers, and social workers in their countries of origin. They come here and clean buildings because of the language barriers they face. It's much easier to dehumanize and morph a person into some social ill rather than give up your own time and learn  from others and empathize. That's what constitutes neighborliness and community. But, I guess it's easier to stay home and let pundits on TV dictate our life experience.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 09:07:46 AM »
i think the new moves should forget about new luxury towers and just learn to adapt to our middle and working class, low rise way of life. they need to assimilate, not expect us to change Queens for their Brooklyn-ized needs. </sarcasm>

Looks like the population in Queens is exploding. It seems we all better make room for more towers like being built on 72nd Street.

http://m.qchron.com/mobile/editions/queenswide/s-see-big-rise-in-qns-population-feds/article_cdce220f-3dfe-51f4-9617-7406c1db58a7.html
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:20:40 AM by dssjh »

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »
but it would be worthwhile to have government programs in place to help those who do. 

I don't know how any one can suggest with a straight face this could even possibly be the motivation of the current administration.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
i think the new moves should forget about new luxury towers and just learn to adapt to our middle and working class, low rise way of life. they need to assimilate, not expect us to change Queens for their Brooklyn-ized needs. </sarcasm>

It’s too late just look at LIC and Astoria. Jackson Heights is already mostly built up with apartment buildings anyway. Those buildings will never be torn down. Only a few streets have houses outside of the Historic area. Maybe you should push to make sure those houses are added to the Historic district to prevent development. There are many houses in the lower 70’s that can be included.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
Jackson Heights is already mostly built up with apartment buildings anyway. Those buildings will never be torn down. Only a few streets have houses outside of the Historic area.

Note there is a difference between low-rise apartment buildings and towers. Also, if really you think only a few streets have houses outside of the Historic district, that suggests you don't spend any time outside of the historic district or have ever looked at the neighborhood via Google Maps satellite view.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »
What difference is there between a nine story apartment building that has 150 units and a fifteen one with the same amount? Does anyone really think a fifteen story building next to the BQE will change forever JH? I know there are few blocks of private homes in JH from living here 40+ years. I don’t need to google anything and certainly do not have to accept your erroneous conclusions made just to pick another fight. The other thread on Diversity Plaza had to be removed because of your constant insults calling me racist and a troll. Please stop harassing me with your silly illogical comments.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »
What difference is there between a nine story apartment building that has 150 units and a fifteen one with the same amount?

Six stories, height, and amount of light.

I don't know how anyone who has lived in the neighborhood for 40+ years could have failed to notice all the single and two family homes not only in the historic district, but outside of it as well (which was your original statement). Have you ever been north of Northern Blvd? There is at least a solid 30 square blocks of mostly private homes North of northern blvd from 75th to 85th St. If you don't trust me or care to walk outside of the historic district, Google will clear that up.  https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7580024,-73.8890798,567m/data=!3m1!1e3
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:15:03 PM by CaptainFlannel »

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »
That is in 11370 also known as East Elmhurst. That is not Jackson Heights!  Obviously you don’t know what you talking about. Good grief!

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2018, 09:24:48 PM »
we already have those things in place.

I'm sorry, I meant that they should be better promoted.  Many people seem to still be ignorant of such programs.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 07:24:48 AM »
That is in 11370 also known as East Elmhurst. That is not Jackson Heights!

Yes, and it's also known as Jackson Heights, and falls within the definition of your argument. That area is just outside of the historic district and in our neighborhood. If you're unclear how zip codes work in Queens, and that they are not the definition of what a neighborhood is and is not, you could try talking to your neighbors. (For example, at one point I lived about four blocks from the Sunnyside post office, but my zip code was for Woodside. You can try and tell me all you like I lived in Woodside, but my neighborhood was Sunnyside. Ditto for the years I lived in Astoria yet had a zip code for and Long Island City)

In any case, *your* argument was that there aren't many houses outside of the historic district in Jackson Heights, yet you conveniently seem to want to make the historic district the definition of Jackson Heights. Either way, your argument is false and a quick look at Google or walking would demonstrate to you your argument is false.

But if you like, why don't you define specifically which areas in Jackson Heights you think are within the neighborhood but outside of the historic district, and we can look at a Google map to see the validity of your poorly thought out argument that you are defending so vehemently here.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
^^another useful resource to see the housing stock in a particular zip code is MLSLI.com, because you can search by zip and when you zoom in close enough it shows you lot size. A quick scan of that or (Google maps) is all that is necessary to show that your statement is demonstrably incorrect by any measure.

Only a few streets have houses outside of the Historic area

In the 11372 zip code, the western end outside of the historic district (bordered by 69th St, 76th St., Northern Blvd & Roosevelt) is dominated by houses. The area bordered by 77th St, Junction, 37th Ave & Roosevelt and largely outside of the historic district is also largely dominated by houses. Big chunks of the eastern edge of the zip code that aren't within the historic are also dominated by houses (82nd - Junction, Northern-Roosevelt).

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
Yawn! Wow you obviously have a lot of time to type up that garbage. Who really cares?

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
MODERATOR NOTE:  It appears that various posts on the forum, including this one, are becoming disruptive, and are clearly in violation of JHL's Rules and Guidelines relating to personal attacks and trolling.  In order to avoid possible deletion of offensive posts, the Moderators ask that you please read the forum Rules and abide by them. Thank you.

Do not troll: Trolling is when you just provoke people to make them upset by making it personal, calling them names, or posting offensive images or text to upset them. Your ideas are welcome, your personally-directed insults are not.

Don't make it personal: If you have a problem with something someone has said, ask for clarification, or send them a private message. If you feel the need to respond publicly don't make it personal (like "hey you jerk, I'm offended"). Instead engage the person's idea and express your disagreement with it in a respectful way (I disagree with what you've said here and this is why...).

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »