Author Topic: Clear Curbs Initiative - Roosevelt Ave. (Broadway to 90th Street)  (Read 4534 times)

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
I emailed Dromm.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
Re: Elected Officials Call for End of Clear Curbs Project on Roosevelt Ave.
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 07:23:16 PM »
Clear Curbs on Roosevelt Ave. has been suspended.

Clear Curbs on Roosevelt Ave. “Paused,” Local Politicians Proclaim Victory

Meanwhile, local politicians said that they were pleased that the program had been, in Councilmember Francisco Moya’s words, “effectively terminate[d].” He described the suspension of the pilot as a “relief” for small business owners and residents in the area.

Offline am315

• Citizen
Re: Clear Curbs Initiative - Roosevelt Ave. (Broadway to 90th Street)
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
It's really a shame because at least in the morning this initiative really helped ease congestion on Roosevelt. There were no bottlenecks and the lack of cars parking allowed the sanitation dept to clean the streets.

I am convinced that very few businesses were impacted in the morning. I walk on that strip every single morning and there so few businesses even open that there's no way they could be losing business.

I can see businesses having an issue with the evenings and the harsh reality is that these businesses don't care if we live amid congestion, pollution and aggressive drivers.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2018, 01:32:21 PM »
Was on roosevelt yesterday. It's a congested, polluted mess again.

Good job local pols! (Spits)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »
I am convinced that very few businesses were impacted in the morning. I walk on that strip every single morning and there so few businesses even open that there's no way they could be losing business.

I can see businesses having an issue with the evenings and the harsh reality is that these businesses don't care if we live amid congestion, pollution and aggressive drivers.

I'd like to see your proof that businesses were not impacted. and as far as aggressive drivers? if we could get rid of them by eliminating parking or stopping, we should eliminate it 24-7 on every street in the city.

Offline am315

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
My "proof" is anecdotal and only for the mornings. I walk that street every morning at various hours between 7am and 10am and very few stores are open. The reality is that street is made up primarily of bars and restaurants, none of which are open in the morning. Yes, a few shops are open...like coffee places.

At night, it's a different story and I'm sure businesses are feeling it.

It does seem that all of this could have been solved with better enforcement of double and triple parking. Rather than have no cars just make sure the cars that are there are obeying the law. But I think businesses don't care about that as well because every double parker is a customer.

This is the same issue on 74th St. It's a terribly congested street. But there's zero enforcement.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »
Another poorly thought out idea hits the dust bin:

http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2018/08/dot-admits-they-made-mistake-with-clear.html

Now if they were reasonable and did one side of the street in the morning and another in the afternoon maybe that would of worked.

Offline 80JHer

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
But it did work!  It was night and day difference in the morning if you were on a bus or traveling in a car down Roosevelt.  It’s too bad, it was and is a great idea. 

Just like other very busy city streets, they keep it clear during rush hours.  Everybody else (business owners) seem to do just fine

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
It also made it impossible to run a business on that avenue. People who invest in a business should not be penalized. 

Offline 80JHer

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
Oh please, I’m sure it wasn’t impossible.   God forbid they schedule deliveries at a different time.   Besides most of the cars parked on Roosevelt are the owners or employees of the stores.  They stay parked all day.

1000’s of other business in targeted no loading zones do just fine in nyc

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 11:59:25 AM »
Good news,

Four new storefronts have just opened up on Roosevelt Ave.

Bad part, it took this no parking arbitrary regulations to put a long established business out of business AFTER 48 years. You can thank our local politicians for this one.

https://jacksonheightspost.com/jackson-heights-pet-store-closing-after-48-years

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
Good news,

Four new storefronts have just opened up on Roosevelt Ave.

Bad part, it took this no parking arbitrary regulations to put a long established business out of business AFTER 48 years. You can thank our local politicians for this one.

https://jacksonheightspost.com/jackson-heights-pet-store-closing-after-48-years

I believe when PETCO opened in that Jackson Heights shopping plaza where Cannelle is, a few years ago, it signaled the end for that Roosevelt Ave pet store.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
that Petco opened a REALLY long time ago. and i don't think anyone changed loyalties due to that, if only because the walk to Northern would be ridiculous to make for those who live near Roosevelt (and vice versa).

Offline Maple

• Citizen
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 12:53:12 AM »
Actually, PetCo only opened five years ago in the spot where Dante's Catering had been. And while someone living between the two pet stores might walk to one or the other, someone with a car wanting to buy a big bag of dog food might be drawn to the PetCo with the big parking lot, especially if parking was forbidden along Roosevelt.

In Jersey City, the pet shop near the Grove Street PATH stop closed and was replaced by a bar and performance space called Pet Shop.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Do you think the Petland on 82nd Street is facing similar pressures thanks to Petco? (I'm not sure if Petland is a national chain or franchises. Anyone know?)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »