Author Topic: A rare opportunity for housing, a school... (Stop the Nissan Koeppel Variance)  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Tom Lowenhaupt

• Citizen
Does anyone have any photos of cars parked on the 75th Street sidewalk by the Nissan Koeppel car dealership? Specifically, I’m interested in photos of cars parked next to the former Northern Lanes bowling alley at 32-45 75th Street. There’s an example of the type of violation I’m looking to better document on this Nissan Koeppel Variance page on JacksonHeights.nyc.

Why do I care?

Last month Community Board 3 had a hearing on a request from Nissan Koeppel for a 20 year extension to the variance that allows them to operate a car storage facility on property zoned for housing. Board 3 approved the request. The next step in the city’s review process will be a hearing by the Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) - nothing’s scheduled yet.

Note HOWEVER, Community Board 3 members were not provided by BSA with any information about the many complaints filed about the illegally parked cars - a common practice by Nissan Koeppel over the initial 20 years of the variance. So the many complaints I (and perhaps many of you) filed with the city, via 311 in particular, were not brought to the board’s attention. Nor were those complaints that might have been filed with council members, the community board, etc. As far as board members knew, this was a violation free renewal application.

So… did you ever take a picture of the illegally parked/stored cars? Or file a 311 complaint? If so, please send them my way - tomL@communisphere.com - or post them here: https://wiki.jacksonheights.nyc/wiki/Nissan_Koeppel_-_BSA_Variance.

So why do I care, what's the difference… If the variance is refused we might see housing, a school, a civic center, library… built there. It’s a rare opportunity.

There's lots of documentation about this issue here.

Thanks,

Tom Lowenhaupt

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
I would like many of these things more than a parking lot.

Offline Tom Lowenhaupt

• Citizen
Clarifying:

What  Nissan Koeppel has done over the years is park their cars next to the old Northern Lanes bowling alley (the grey building on the east side of 75th). While I've a few photos showing cars  'mis-parked," I can recall seeing the entire length of the building lined with cars for weeks on end. Regrettably I never adequately photo-documented this, hence my current outreach for old pictures with the bowling alley sidewalk fully lined with cars.

Many years ago when I was vice chair of Community Board 3, I represented the board at a District Cabinet meeting, a monthly event at the CB3 office where the 115th Precinct Commander, the district sanitation chief, parks chief, etc.) meet to discuss local issues. I raised the ongoing violations by Nissan Koeppel with the 115th Pct. commander. His response was something close to "I like my job." Why? See this article on Mayor Giuliani and "his roommate" Howard Koeppel, for a hint: http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/rnc/9728/.

I once did a calculation that went something like this: number of cars (12) x $150 per month (the going space rate) x 4 months a year (estimated annual abuse period) = $7,200 per year. They've done this for over 20 years. That city administrations' allowing this abuse infuriates me.

What might happen...

If you watch the recent CB3 meeting tape, you'll hear the Nissan Koeppel owner say none of this ever happened. My thinking is that if we can document they are not good neighbors, having routinely violated the variance terms, and fibbed to the CB, they may be denied the variance by BSA. At that point Nissan Koeppel may opt to move their entire operation to the car zone on Northern Boulevard, east of the BQE, that's emerged over the past decade. So we need those pictures, more = better.

And if all that space becoms available - perhaps some will be used for a school, library, etc.

Best,

Tom

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
I'm going to look, but I believe I've only documented cars on sidewalks further down Northern.

Thanks for following this site, and making an attempt to change it. We need to look into the future a bit and imagine development and housing along the Northern Corridor. It has already seen an upscale movement of restaurants and there are hotels and a conference center even further up.

For what it's worth, Koeppel has donated to campaigns of our locals, Danny and Jimmy. (also Scott Stringer, Gale Brewer) Campaign Finance Board has a tool, Follow the Money, where anyone can check.
$2,500 to Jimmy and $875 to Danny.

https://www.nyccfb.info/FTMSearch/Candidates/Contributions?ec=2017&rt=can&cand=1075&ir=Koeppel%2C%20Howard

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
This new legislation may help with this and other Northern Blvd sidewalk blockers.
Great news on blocking sidewalk legislation. City Councilmember Jimmy Van Bramer has introduced legislation (Intro No. 718-2018) amending the NYC Administrative Code to provide that any entity licensed by the NYC Dept. of Consumer Affairs (like a car wash) is prohibited from stopping, standing, or parking any automobile on a sidewalk or crosswalk, or from violating the rules promulgated pursuant to the State VTL which prohibit stopping, standing or parking a vehicle on a sidewalk or crosswalk. The Consumer Affairs Commissioner shall suspend or revoke the license of a business who violates these provisions twice or more within a one-year period.

Jackson Heights Life