Author Topic: Elmjack Little League - what's the deal?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline lindsey

• Activist
Elmjack Little League - what's the deal?
« on: March 03, 2018, 11:00:19 AM »
Hi all, I'm interested to hear your opinions on Elmjack, which is a neighborhood institution but also, from my experience, has some problems.
As someone whose kid has been part of the league for about a year, the biggest thing that bothers me about Elmjack is the lack of transparency about how they choose managers and, above all, their budget. Last year Elmajck announced a grant of $1.8 million from Skanska for field improvements--Costa Constantinides, the councilman from Astoria, was closely involved. Yet Elmjack doesn't seem to be registered as a nonprofit 501c3 organization; their tax returns are nowhere to be found on guidestar.org, the clearinghouse for nonprofit 990 forms. I'm not even sure if they are a nonprofit, since their website is a .com and not a .org.
Even with these big grants coming in, the fields last year were a mess. They also continue to raise season fees for little league players; this spring it's $360, which is just an impossible expense for many families.
There are a lot of rumors about improper use of funds in the league. I won't repeat those here because I don't know the details. But if anyone has background to share on this, or ideas on how to make things more transparent, I'd love to hear.

Offline lindsey

• Activist
Re: Elmjack Little League - what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
Would like to add, when I say the fields were a mess that's not a slam at the maintenance crew, who did their best to keep the fields trim and the trash cleared. The problem was more related to lack of progress on construction: piles of stone with wires sticking out, mud-filled gulleys, crumbling wooden bleachers, etc.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »
 We have not been part of Elmjack for some time so this information might be dated. But the fields were horrendous. And
there was something shady about the concession area and how much money they collected. This was a gut feeling more
than anything that could be seen as evidence but we all noticed how things did not appear to be above board. Good of
you to pursue this on behalf of the community as the resource of this field is fantastic if only it were properly used.

Offline Tom Lowenhaupt

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:35:09 PM »
They also continue to raise season fees for little league players; this spring it's $360, which is just an impossible expense for many families.

In the '90s parents were able to work off this fee by doing cleanups. I hope they still have this policy.

Offline Tom Lowenhaupt

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 09:35:14 PM »
Last year Elmajck announced a grant of $1.8 million from Skanska for field improvements--Costa Constantinides, the councilman from Astoria, was closely involved.

I'm unfamiliar with this and would appreciate a link on this.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 09:09:27 AM »
I think it might be worth posting this on the JHFamilies site as well...(I'm not a member so I don't have a link, sorry).

Offline lindsey

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
Here's a news story (really a press release) about the $1.8 million Skanska pledged to Elmjack last April. I'm not sure whether to call it a 'grant' because if Elmjack isn't a nonprofit then it wouldn't qualify as such. Also I've heard that Elmjack is allowing Skanska to store equipment on the Elmjack grounds. 

Little leaguers in East Elmhurst get a $1.8 million boost from construction company
http://qns.com/story/2017/04/11/little-leaguers-east-elmhurst-get-1-8-million-boost-construction-company/

Offline antparty

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:53:44 PM »
I am super-interested. Was thinking of joining their little league this spring, but am curious about what the program is like.

Offline antparty

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »
Also, don't you kind of think Skanska-Little League negotiations were kind of amazing?

Offline antparty

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 11:06:55 PM »
Bumping this thread. We just played a season of ICYP little league on Steinway Blvd in the very northern tip of Astoria Ditmars. It cost $110 for the season, including uniforms, trophies, a BBQ and an all-star day. It was pretty disorganized, and kind of shady, but sort of amazing. How does that stack up to Elmjack? As near as I can tell, Elmjack has a Mount Everest of dirt right now.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 11:06:55 PM »