Author Topic: Subzi Mandi closing  (Read 2388 times)

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
Subzi Mandi closing
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:32:44 AM »
It seems after 28 years Subzi Mandi is closing. They are emptying the store. This is at the corner of 37th Ave and 73rd Street. Probably another grocery store will take over the space.

Offline francis

• Mayor
Re: Subzi Mandi closing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »
.....or pharmacy.

Offline Miss Chatelaine

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »
Wow, I hope it's another grocery store, or a pharmacy, or a cell phone or 99 cents store for that matter, rather than a tear down/new build.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:23:11 PM »
I know at one point they were considering expanding into the Bruson building - I wonder if they are going to do that elsewhere instead; they are one of the busier groceries in JH.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »
Or the owner might decide to take down the one-story building and put up six stories. If I recall there was a proposal for a much larger building there perhaps a couple of decades ago.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »
Just heard that Apna Bazaar has taken it over and will expand into the new space. Part of the new store will have a Muslim meat and fish section to do battle and eliminate the other groceries on the block. Expect other groceries to close in the coming mo this.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 11:02:14 PM »
Wow that's going to be huge

Offline QueensLand

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 06:31:58 AM »
I remember when there was a little dancing school there, just off the corner. Kids from PS69 took ballet and tap classes there! (This was around 1985)

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
Just heard that Apna Bazaar has taken it over and will expand into the new space. Part of the new store will have a Muslim meat and fish section to do battle and eliminate the other groceries on the block. Expect other groceries to close in the coming mo this.

And here I was thinking that the double-parking disaster down there might abate a little due to this. Sounds like it might get worse.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
I fear that the western edge of JH is on the cusp of rapid, tacky over-development. There is the 13 story behemoth rental building going up. There are plans to convert a house on 73rd Street into a multi-story hotel (description from owner made it sound like a flophouse or SRO; currently held up because the owner is a convicted fraudster).

The small houses around Broadway and 72nd that house businesses like Kababish and Tawa Foods are prime tear-down targets.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see the Apna Bazaar / Subzi Mandi space torn down and built up several stories.

I wouldn't even mind if it was high quality development, but it will be cheap, ugly crap like the building on 73rd St that houses Khaabar Baari.  The metal banisters on the terraces of that building are already rusted after just a few years  :(

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 09:44:19 PM »
That SRO will have a 24 grocery store on the 1st floor. Apna is planning on taking over the whole grocery scene. Based on the new outside vegetable market Apna has created with no permits I would say traffic will get worse. Sterling bank has to put up with all those food carts that trash their property and block the entrance. I would not be surprised if they decide to close and sell the property.

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
Absolutely, definitely happening. Everything from the BQE to the historic district will eventually be redeveloped.

I fear that the western edge of JH is on the cusp of rapid, tacky over-development. There is the 13 story behemoth rental building going up. There are plans to convert a house on 73rd Street into a multi-story hotel (description from owner made it sound like a flophouse or SRO; currently held up because the owner is a convicted fraudster).

The small houses around Broadway and 72nd that house businesses like Kababish and Tawa Foods are prime tear-down targets.  Also wouldn't be surprised to see the Apna Bazaar / Subzi Mandi space torn down and built up several stories.

I wouldn't even mind if it was high quality development, but it will be cheap, ugly crap like the building on 73rd St that houses Khaabar Baari.  The metal banisters on the terraces of that building are already rusted after just a few years  :(

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
unfortunately, this happens with most historic districts -- they get hemmed in on all sides with ugly, poor quality new construction. it's happening here on both the east and west boundaries (the target and the attached high rise to the east), many parts of brooklyn....

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 12:19:53 PM »
Too bad for that eye doctor next to the proposed SRO. Can't imagine trying to run a medical office with all that vibration and noise. The house next is already having the utilities cut because they going to demolish it. As for that comment that all the new construction is of poor quality, it seems that all is being built to the new building code that has sprinklers and fireproof. Most of the old structures are made of wood don't have modern fire prevention systems. I realize that the esthetics of these buildings leave much to desired but that is the fault of the architects that designed the structures.

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »
That SRO will have a 24 grocery store on the 1st floor. Apna is planning on taking over the whole grocery scene. Based on the new outside vegetable market Apna has created with no permits I would say traffic will get worse. Sterling bank has to put up with all those food carts that trash their property and block the entrance. I would not be surprised if they decide to close and sell the property.

Honestly, I can't believe that Sterling Bank is still in the neighborhood.  That piece of property where they are located now is in a sweet and lucrative location.  Those filthy food carts do little more than compete against other restaurants in the area that pay high rents.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »