Author Topic: Beer run  (Read 2195 times)

Offline jackinjh

• Citizen
Beer run
« on: February 23, 2018, 03:00:13 PM »
Where do most people go to buy beer? Not the typical big brand. All the supermarkets and bodegas here all sell the similar stuff.

I usually go to Foodtown, but the selection is going down (at least those that I usually get is no longer available).

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Beer run
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
i think their selection is okay. the deli across the street has a reliable second tier stock, sixpoint and the like.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
Foodtown seems like the only place to go. I hope the deli in the Bruson will get a good selection when they get their license.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:51:54 PM »
If you want growler fills or growlers, UFC has them! Give them business!

click here for their latest tap list (updated once weekly ish)

https://www.beermenus.com/places/14740-ufc-unidentified-flying-chickens

Offline annie. murphy.1

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
We like TriBoro Beverage on Astoria Blvd btw 41st/42nd. It’s a quick drive and they have a small parking lot.

https://triborobeverage.com/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:48:54 PM by annie. murphy.1 »

Offline jackinjh

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 01:12:12 PM »
I tried UFC once, got a growler after I ate dinner there. Not sure what happen, never back since.

I work around time square area, been going to Beer Table in Grand Central to pick up a growler, which is a hassle to drag it back on 7 train.

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
I was going to UFC for a while, but one time they served me some chicken that was has hard as leather.  I complained and they acted like nothing happened.  I stopped going there.  That was over a year ago.  It is a real shame because I love beer and am disappointed by the limited options in this neighborhood.  Another thing that I did not like was that I felt vulnerable walking on Roosevelt late at night being cooked out of my mind.  It has been a while, I will give it another shot - this time I will eat somewhere else first. 

Offline JA

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 10:56:53 PM »
Good beer is probably the only food item that is exceedingly hard to find in Jackson Heights, both in bottle/can and on draft.

FoodTown is passable - they sell Allagash, Southern Tier, Sierra Nevada, and pretty much every Latin American lager.

The deli on 79th and 37th occasionally has harder to find stuff, including seasonals by Sixpoint and Brooklyn Brewery.

I occasionally go to UFC to drink beer on draft. They have, hands down, the best selection in the neighborhood, but the food is hit or miss, the staff don't really know that much about the beers, and the layout of the space does not really make it a conducive place to drink, either alone or with a group. They also closed early, and sometimes the lack of beer drinking clientele makes me suspicious about the freshness of the kegs. They had Stone Enjoy By 12.25.16 well through February of last year.

Espresso 77 also has beer on draft but again, it feels weird to go there to drink, and they charge more than they should for what they serve.

Legends consistently has a few European lagers on tap but I have no real desire to go in there except to watch Mets games.

At the end of the day, I don't mind that I have to leave the neighborhood to get good beer. Astoria Beer and Cheese on Broadway has a good selection and a comfortable interior. Fresh Value Marketplace in Rego Park has a ridiculous variety of hard to find local releases. And let us not forget that there are a half-dozen breweries in Long Island City, most of which have taprooms.

And I am also not begging for a beer bar to open anytime soon. One recently opened in Woodside around 52nd Street. The owners did a great job with crafting the interior and they curate an exciting, New york State exclusive, twenty tap roster. And yet, the joy of I get from drinking a Grimm or Transmitter there is nothing like the joy I get from pounding $3 Singhas at Playground or enjoying a Modelo at Terraza. The last thing I want is to live in a neighborhood like so many in North Brooklyn where great beer has become ubiquitous at the expense of everything else.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:06:10 PM »
And I am also not begging for a beer bar to open anytime soon. One recently opened in Woodside around 52nd Street.

Nice!

https://www.beermenus.com/places/47583-solid-state

Offline wallaby

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 09:42:02 AM »
I second Astoria Beer and Cheese– great selection, and you can buy bottles to bring home. Really not that far way.

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »
I find Foodtown's selection to be decent for the size of the section. I can always find something fitting my mood / season. Every once in a while something I've had in the past that I liked at a craft beer place I was at turns up and It's a nice surprise to grab it.

Offline the80s

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
This is not in the neighborhood, but only about 10 minutes away (in Astoria) by car or taxi:

Best Market
19-30 37th St, Astoria, NY

Just went there for the first time, and along with being a huge wide-aisled supermarket that's rare to see in NYC, they also have an excellent craft beer selection, including a make-your-own six pack option. The beer is not cheap ($10.99 for a make-your-own six pack from a nice selection of brews), but lots of great breweries are represented.

This market is also right across the street from Singlecut Beersmiths if you'd like to fill a growler there.

There's a big parking lot, and an (unremarkable) liquor store in the same shopping complex if you are looking to stock up.

Offline antparty

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
K and L Deli has some interesting beers in the fridge in the back. I went in for a egg and potato sandwich for breakfast and got side-tracked by the beer. They had a Barrier IPA that was less than a month old and some cans of Rockaway Brewing Company's Brown Ale in a six-pack.

Online Dudley

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 12:22:47 PM »
The Queensboro fills growlers!

But you'd need to bring your own, we're not supplying them (yet).

We currently have:

Singlecut Halfstack IPA
Finback Echelon Double IPA
Nite Shift Nite Lite
Big Alice Farmhouse Ale
Paradox Brewery Pils
Bronx Brewery Summer Ale
Rockaway Brewing Company Black Gold Stout
LIC Beer Project Ardent Core Saison

As a bonus while you wait for your growler to be filled you can have a beer and then you can have another one afterwards to celebrate your freshly-filled growler. I'd say that's a win win win!

Offline N00b

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »
Doesn't espresso 77 also have draft beers and fill growlers? My one question with growlers is how do you clean it?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »