Author Topic: Ricky's  (Read 1433 times)

Offline ljr

• Council Member
Ricky's
« on: January 13, 2018, 07:11:45 PM »
I've been pissing and moaning about the lack of good, basic, healthy, non-spicy, non-carb-heavy dining options in the neighborhood. Our forays to the local diners have been less than inspiring, and there just isn't a sit-down place where you can get, say, roast or grilled chicken or baked salmon with potato and vegetables, and eat in a pleasant, comfortable space and not off plastic trays. (Let me interject that we need non-spicy, non carb-heavy food for health reasons, not because we are somehow against the cuisines of other nations for xenophobic reasons.)

So we just tried ordering dinner from Ricky's after having done so just once a few years ago, with unsatisfactory results. We were very pleased! Ordering via Seamless, it was fast and accurate and the food was quite good. Salad and vegetables, in particular. We ordered full chicken and fish dinners--and the food was well prepared and tasty and generously portioned. I think the best alternative for this type of basic food in Jackson Heights. Recommended!

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Ricky's
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:38:36 PM »
they've upped the game the last couple of years -- and those entrees, while nothing fancy, are definitely worthwhile, and a little different than the standard diner fare at most such places. i mean, i love a hot open turkey smothered in unhealthy gravy as much as the next person, but the Ricky's specials are, as you said, fresh and tasty.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »
I walked by Ricky's earlier today and noticed that they're advertising beer and wine, in addition to traditional brunch mixed drinks.  Is this something new?

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
They started offering wine awhile ago, before they redecorated and added all the text on their windows. But the wine they served was pretty bad and also, the next time I ordered it they just said, "We're out of wine." Which was one reason that was the last time I ate dinner there. Till this recent makeover. I still have not eaten in there, but we've ordered from them via Seamless a few times and have been happy with the food.  We will eventually try eating in, and particularly weekend brunch I'm sure.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
Ricky's food is under-rated.  I am addicted to their eggplant parmesan and had a memorable spaghetti carbornara. For lunch they have very fresh chicken salad--one of the best diner chicken salads I have had.  The food has been good for some time, but I think it gets overlooked by many here because of the decor. 

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
Interesting - I gave up on them years ago - I probably haven't eaten there since 2010! The food used to be mediocre at best. I don't mind the decor at all - it's a normal-looking coffee shop. 

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
They started offering wine awhile ago, before they redecorated and added all the text on their windows. But the wine they served was pretty bad and also, the next time I ordered it they just said, "We're out of wine." Which was one reason that was the last time I ate dinner there. Till this recent makeover. I still have not eaten in there, but we've ordered from them via Seamless a few times and have been happy with the food.  We will eventually try eating in, and particularly weekend brunch I'm sure.

Thanks for the info, ljr.  It's been a while since I've been to Ricky's.  They had a grilled chicken salad that's pretty good, so it may be time for a revisit.  Hoping it's still on the menu.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »