Author Topic: Possible to divide a bedroom?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Ann

• Tourist
Possible to divide a bedroom?
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:42:04 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone has experience getting board approval to add an office by dividing a bedroom. The bedroom is very large and has windows on opposite sides, so both rooms would have a window and separate doors. The office would be about 100 square feet, and the bedroom about 120 square feet. We'd go through DOB to build the partition wall and to make a door from the living room to the office area.

Is this something a board would go for? Or impossible?

Thanks!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: Possible to divide a bedroom?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
I think a coop would be pretty strict about this and would probably require it to meet the legal parameters of an actual bedroom:

- At least 80 sf with no dimension measuring less than 8 feet
- Ceiling height of 8 or more feet unless it's a basement
- At least one window
- At least two means of egress (window is fine)
- Cannot serve as a passage into another room

But it sounds like you probably can meet these with no problem. I don't there there are any rules about offices.  Many buildings don't allow pressurized walls, so I'd try to find out if yours does.  Something like a sliding Japanese wall/door might work as an alternative.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »
Just in case "pressurized walls" was confusing...
http://mpwnyc.com/

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »
reading Lilybell's list of properties required of a bedroom took me back to my earliest apartments, all of which were tenement railroad places with windowless bedrooms in the middle -- and, in a couple of cases, tubs in the kitchen. ah, misty water color memories, lol.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 12:48:54 AM »