Author Topic: FRESH Spi'L't Milk  (Read 19264 times)

Offline Cassat

• Citizen
Re: FRESH Spi'L't Milk - eggplant sandwich
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
I went to Fresh Spilt Milk (sorry I refuse to do the weirdo caps and apostrophes, I really dislike the way they did the name) the other day and got the roasted eggplant sandwich. I'm not a vegetarian but I believe this is a vegetarian sandwich (not vegan though). The sandwich took far too long to make -- almost 25 minutes-- and the air inside of the store was full of grill oil haze that I wasn't too happy to breathe. But the sandwich truly was tasty and light. I'd definitely got back and get it again. Maybe call in and order in advance if I can.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: FRESH Spi'L't Milk
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:21 PM »
Well, it looks like this place closed.

That sure was fast.

It had potential...but as was mentioned in some previous post...the ambiance was terrible.

Light green, almost bare walls?

It always felt about as appetizing as the ER room in a hospital in there.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »

I think it had more to do with an indentity crises, remember, if you read the thread, this was a take-out oriented concept. For people who keep complaining about the ambience, I believe it was more that the seating area looked like more of an afterthought, perhaps a smaller place with very limited tables whould have been better. The space clearly had potential, with great hi ceilings, but I actaully think the space is more suited for a sit down restaurant.

It would be nice though, if people would withhold snarky commentary when a business closes.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2018, 08:34:13 PM »
Are you sure it's closed and not just temporarily closed--which seems to happen a lot to places around here for whatever reason. That really was a speedy death if it's really closed--it was only open maybe 3 months. It's hard to believe the owners wouldn't have planned for a ramp up that was longer than that. Too bad if it's true--the food was good and different from other JH options. I was noticing more people in there recently--never a crowd, but more than at the beginning.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »

I think it had more to do with an indentity crises, remember, if you read the thread, this was a take-out oriented concept. For people who keep complaining about the ambience, I believe it was more that the seating area looked like more of an afterthought, perhaps a smaller place with very limited tables whould have been better. The space clearly had potential, with great hi ceilings, but I actaully think the space is more suited for a sit down restaurant.

It would be nice though, if people would withhold snarky commentary when a business closes.

It is often via failure that folks can learn.

Next time these people open a restaurant, they will know to initially clarify whether it's take out.  Or not. Or both.

And if it's eat in, they will have learned that creating an environment that attracts and doesn't repel diners is important.

A business closing...is a lesson.

That's all.

And hopefully the owners will have learned their lessons...for their future enterprises.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »

It can also be a financial calamity for an individual or a family, which is one reason I wish people would be kinder to the small businesses in our neighborhood.

Offline wk067781

• Citizen
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »
Looking forward to another 99 cent store / pharmacy to open up now

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »

It can also be a financial calamity for an individual or a family, which is one reason I wish people would be kinder to the small businesses in our neighborhood.

The individual or family might be incredibly successful next time.  There might be a FRESH SPi'L'T MILK chain that rivals McDonald's for all we know.

Thanks to the lessons they learned this time.

You can never predict what's in your future! That's the exciting thing about life.

But they do need feedback on where they went wrong.  And #1 is AMBIANCE.
I imagine they won't make that mistake again.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
and it could be temporarily closed to improve the ambience. or make some other tweak.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »
The halal fast food place down the block is also closed "For Maintenance" with the paper on the windows. We know that means LOL! Maybe Fresh Spilt Milk got nailed by the health inspectors as well...

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2018, 04:29:47 PM »
The halal fast food place down the block is also closed "For Maintenance" with the paper on the windows. We know that means LOL! Maybe Fresh Spilt Milk got nailed by the health inspectors as well...

"LOL!"?

Always surprising when people take pleasure in the misfortune of others. If Fresh Spilt Milk had been "nailed" by DOH, there would be a notice.

I saw that there was a ladder in the space, and I am hoping that they are simply renovating/rebooting.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2018, 08:23:26 PM »
Stuck my face in the window. I think they’re renovating the dining space.

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »

"LOL!"?

Always surprising when people take pleasure in the misfortune of others. If Fresh Spilt Milk had been "nailed" by DOH, there would be a notice.

DOHMH only posts a notice in the window if they immediately closed the restaurant on an emergency basis. Restaurants will often close for a few days if they need to remediate issues that caused them low inspection scores.  I don't take pleasure in it...but these inspections prevent people from getting sick and many restaurants can be very sloppy until caught. Hopefully this place is just redecorating, and the halal fast food place actually just needs to do some "maintenance".

On the broader issue about the ultimate success of these places: Over 90% of small businesses fail, and most in their first year. Anybody who opens a shop knows they are taking a chance. The reason there are so many cell phone shops and dollar stores in JH is because they are relatively safe ways to make money if you don't have any particular skills that you can convert into $$ at your business (like a chef).

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2018, 09:11:42 AM »
The individual or family might be incredibly successful next time.

Assuming their finances haven't been so destroyed they are unable to mount a next time.

Please stop pretending you don't understand how a failed business can destroy an individual's finances, credit rating, put them under a mountain of debt, etc. Yes, entrepreneurship is a risk. But that doesn't mean we have to be insensitive about what a failed business venture can do to an individual's of family's finances.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »
The individual or family might be incredibly successful next time.

Assuming their finances haven't been so destroyed they are unable to mount a next time.

Please stop pretending you don't understand how a failed business can destroy an individual's finances, credit rating, put them under a mountain of debt, etc. Yes, entrepreneurship is a risk. But that doesn't mean we have to be insensitive about what a failed business venture can do to an individual's of family's finances.

Life is attitude.

And catastrophizing sure isn't helpful.  It's based in fear.

Failure can lead to greater successes in the future.

Perhaps speak to a life coach...they'll clarify for you how to face and deal with life's vacillations and the big picture.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:27:57 AM by abcdefghijk »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »