Author Topic: The Gelato thread  (Read 870 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
The Gelato thread
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
Due to popular demand, here is the GELATO thread!

Where do you get your favorite gelato in any neighborhood of NYC? (Ice cream recommendations welcome, too.)

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: The Gelato thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »
Thank you Shelby! 

If anyone one knows of a place that has authentic gelato I'd be very grateful. I've been searching for years and have yet to find anything that comes close to what I had when I lived in Italy. Grom is pretty good but still not what I'd consider "real" gelato. 

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:52:29 PM »
I said this in the not-gelato thread, but the Manducati's Rustica gelato in LIC is REALLY good. I may not have the most refined palette when it comes to gelato, but I was with someone who spent a year in Italy and she agreed. The pistachio especially. Heavenly, authentic, delicious.

Less convenient but really outstanding is the gelato at Tino's Delicatessen on Arthur Avenue. The guy scooping the gelato when I was there said they picked it up from JFK every day after getting it shipped on dry ice from Italy. I'm not sure my brain buys that story but my tastebuds did.

And this is not exactly the most traditional Italian gelato, but I have always *loved* Cones in the West Village. Amazing flavors and quality.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »
I like Cones too!  I'd consider them closer to Argentinian gelato. They have one of my favorite flavors that I can rarely find - sweet corn.
Thanks for the rec for Manducati's - I completely forgot about that place and have been meaning to give it a try.

Offline hfm

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »

Offline NYC Peromyscus

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 04:42:10 PM »
SugarCube in LIC is awesome. The owner gets some of the ingredients (like pistachios) from a family farm in Greece, and really puts a lot into his business.

https://www.sugarcubenyc.com/

Someone mentioned Grom as not being like real gelato in Italy, which is strange because it is an Italian business that opened its first shops in Italy! First heard about it when it opened in NYC from an Italian ex-pat that raved about the original location.  In any case, Grom is excellent for gelato and granita. There is a Grom just south of Columbus circle, and a smaller stand in one of the tunnels coming off the new Calatrava in lower Manhattan.

Both of these places will also make affogato if that's your thing.

Offline wallaby

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
I second Sugar Cube in LIC- such a delightful little shop, and the gelato is definitely a highlight. They do a lot of creative flavor infusions with tea (matcha etc). So if you're looking for super traditional flavors this isn't that, but it's fun and their other desserts are great too. The shop is right off the vernon jackson stop on the 7.

For what I think is pretty legit in terms of authenticity, I like L'arte del gelato in the Chelsea Market.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
Someone mentioned Grom as not being like real gelato in Italy, which is strange because it is an Italian business that opened its first shops in Italy!

That was me. It's pretty good, but not as good as what I had when I lived in Italy. I just haven't found anything that has the same level of intensity of flavor (except for one place in Philadelphia but I can't remember the name).

Offline European

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 10:46:29 PM »
True about Italian ice cream. Many years ago, I was walking down the street in Lido di Jesolo, and ate ice cream in maybe 5-6 different places. It was that good. Never tried anything better.

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
Someone mentioned Grom as not being like real gelato in Italy, which is strange because it is an Italian business that opened its first shops in Italy!

That was me. It's pretty good, but not as good as what I had when I lived in Italy. I just haven't found anything that has the same level of intensity of flavor (except for one place in Philadelphia but I can't remember the name).

Was the place in Philly Capogiro? I used to live in Philly, and that place is worth including on your itinerary if you find yourself there! http://www.capogirogelato.com/

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »
the80s, I think it was Capogiro! I'm glad I just ate lunch or I'd be tempted to skip out of work and catch the next train to Philly. 

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »
the80s, I think it was Capogiro! I'm glad I just ate lunch or I'd be tempted to skip out of work and catch the next train to Philly.

:D anything for perfect gelato!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »