Author Topic: Bagels & fresh bread  (Read 2683 times)

Offline annienny

• Tourist
Bagels & fresh bread
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
Where do you all go to get a good, fresh bagel? Other than the Farmers' Market, where do you go to get a fresh loaf of bread?

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
Re: Bagels & fresh bread
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:13 PM »
I assume you want something very local - in that case the bagel place on Northern and 87th is pretty decent...there's also Variety on Northern and 80th (?) and of course Cannelle fro bread and all things pastry.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »
One time I bought bread from the small Russian market near 79th and 37th. I believe they said their bread is delivered daily from Brooklyn. You could go in and inquire.

Sometimes I buy Bread Alone bread from the Downtown Natural Market but I don't know how often they get deliveries. If they get deliveries certain days of the week, perhaps you could time your bread buying to those delivery days.

Offline Dodger

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
I like the bagel place a little further out on Northern, between 89th and 90th: Bagel House.

Offline MrPlaza

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:38:42 PM »
One time I bought bread from the small Russian market near 79th and 37th. I believe they said their bread is delivered daily from Brooklyn. You could go in and inquire.

Sometimes I buy Bread Alone bread from the Downtown Natural Market but I don't know how often they get deliveries. If they get deliveries certain days of the week, perhaps you could time your bread buying to those delivery days.
We recently started buying Bread Alone (after a trip upstate). Anyone know if they sell at the Foodtown on 37th Ave.?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:49:24 PM »
Not sure, but I have also seen it at Lemon Farm, corner of 78th and 37th.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »
Foodtown does indeed sell Bread Alone bread. it's on the shelves surrounding the store brand rolls in those plastic bins. for a while, they were also selling their bagels, but haven't seen those for a while.

i also like the ryes and pumpernickels from Appetito - the Russian deli. always fresh and interesting.

We recently started buying Bread Alone (after a trip upstate). Anyone know if they sell at the Foodtown on 37th Ave.?

Offline fillmorep

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 10:32:51 AM »
There is an ambitious local baker who sets up on Thursday evenings at the church on 34th where you pick up the CSA offerings. Her bread looks very good. Check CSA for hours. Also, Hawthorne Farms has just started at the farmer's market and their break looks to be a cut above that offered by Hot Kitchen or Francesca's.

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
Tradefair bakes on premises. We don't eat much bread but they do a very nice raisin bread. In theory (and often advertised) also cinnamon swirl, but they never seem to have it. The baker guy doesn't seem to know about it.

Dunkin Donuts do acceptable bagels.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
if you mean food dynasty, can't set foot in there since they busted the union by locking out employees with no notice some years ago - the giant rat outside ,remember?

Mr. Haque, who owns the chain under different shell corp names, has done the same thing as other locations, so....i'd dumpster dive first.

Tradefair bakes on premises. We don't eat much bread but they do a very nice raisin bread. In theory (and often advertised) also cinnamon swirl, but they never seem to have it. The baker guy doesn't seem to know about it.

Dunkin Donuts do acceptable bagels.

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
No, Tradefair near 89th Street.

Offline Octavio Hernandez

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 11:54:11 AM »
I just had Cannelle Patisserie's aptly named "Rustic Loaf", which I highly recommend...

Offline the80s

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »
I know this thread began with a request for bread places other than the farmers' market, but I just tried a sourdough from Hawthorne Farm (the new bakery vendor at the market, mentioned above) and it was really perfectly executed and delicious.

Highly recommended! (Perfect for toast topped with my farmers' market heirloom tomatoes and cheese.)

And yes, all the breads from Canelle are terrific, in particular the baguette.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
the Hawthorne sourdough is excellent - but you need to eat it really quickly to avoid having it dry out. even 24 hours was a little much on the sliced half loaf i bought

Offline annienny

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »
Thanks so much for all of your responses!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »