Author Topic: Bagels & fresh bread  (Read 5317 times)

Offline Susan_14

• Tourist
Re: Bagels & fresh bread
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 10:54:39 PM »
We like the bagels from Juju's and, also from Lety's Bakery on 37th Ave.

Offline rabucat

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 11:32:34 PM »
I just looked at the prices.  Do people really buy $16 loaves of bread?  I've never heard of such a thing.  But it does look delicious.
You should come by the Queensboro on a Thursday evening to see what the loaves look like.  My partner and I have been getting Kim's bread regularly since she's been offering it.  Her sourdough is gorgeous--beautiful crust, lovely uniform crumb, an amazing funk.  I'm obsessed with bread, and grew up in the Bay Area pulling hunks off of loaves in the car on the way home from Boudin, so I feel comfortable saying that I am fairly knowledgeable about sourdough.  My prior favorite bread in New York City was from Roberta's, and I've gotten half-decent bread at Balthazar and Sullivan Street Bakery, but really wasn't that psyched about any of them.  Sourdough is a special, alchemical bread, and I thought it maybe wasn't possible here.  But, apparently, in the right hands, it is!  I can honestly say that I look forward to our bread pick-up all week long.  It's THAT GOOD. 

As for the price, the "small" loaves are around 7 bucks.  But a small loaf is the size of a normal sourdough boule, which would generally go for about 7 bucks.  The medium and large loaves are huge, handsome, imposing, and sturdy enough to feed a veritable army.  I've seen plenty of the large-sized loaves from Grandaisy and Zaro's sell for $16 a loaf. These are GIANT loaves. 

Kim's prices are more than fair for the quality and consistency of the loaves, the inventiveness of her flavors, and the knowledge that your bread is literally made in situ in a wood-fired oven.  Order a small loaf, and see if you won't be salivating as you wait for the next e-mail alerting you to the coming week's offerings.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
Are you certain I won't be disappointed as I was with the $7.00 eggs purchased at the Greenmarket?  A friend told me I'd never go back to buying eggs at the supermarket.  For the life of me........I couldn't tell the difference. 

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
Foodtown has organic eggs for $8.99 and I doubt if they taste any different then the eggs selling for $1.99. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
they do.

but even if they didn't, i do like knowing the hens don't eat each others' fecal matter mixed into feed as they do in the factories where they live in cages the size of milk cartons.

i'm just weird that way.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
dssjh:  I don't eat eggs but just happen to notice the high priced eggs last Thursday while I was in that aisle.  If I did eat eggs, I could easily afford the price and I would purchase them for the reasons you gave.  However, for those with low income they have no choice but the $1.99 eggs. 

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 12:32:32 PM »
dssjh:  I don't eat eggs but just happen to notice the high priced eggs last Thursday while I was in that aisle.  I don't eat eggs but if I did, I would also purchase the $8.99 organic eggs for the reason you mention but not everyone can afford this high price. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
you raise a valid, and troubling, economic point. i know, from friends who have small farms in other parts of the country, that it does cost a lot to do things properly and humanely. but low income Americans are really left in the lurch when it comes to eating truly healthy.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »
Downtown Natural Market on 37th Ave/84th St. has eggs at a really good price. If you buy two of the same kind, you get a deal, like two cartons for $5. I have been buying Barnyard's Best "cage free, all natural, no antibiotics, no hormones, no animal fat" large brown eggs. I'm sure they are not as pure as the ones from the greenmarket, but they are good for people on a budget. $2.50/dozen is a pretty good price.

Their website seems to be down but this is what they look like eggs

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 06:55:54 PM »
Washington Post: "Backyard eggs vs store bought: they taste the same"
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/03/egg-taste-test-says-no-di_n_599286.html

Also note expert quoted here:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/03/egg-taste-test-says-no-di_n_599286.html

Finally, I don't know of evidence that organic or free range eggs are healthier. On contrary, "the eggs are indistinguishable. When there is a difference, it's often the factory eggs that are safer."
http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2002334,00.html

And then there is this, which explains why in some depth:
https://blogs.umass.edu/natsci397a-eross/free-range-eggs-are-they-actually-a-healthier-option/

"The overall consensus of the research conducted on this topic states that the eggs produced in conventional cage systems are the “cleanest”, or most microbe free, and are therefore far less likely to have an impact on human health. Eggs produced in free-range systems tend to have higher counts of microbial growth on the shell surface, including specific strains of Salmonella and E. coli, among other harmful pathogens. . . The eggs coming from free-range production systems have a much higher incidence of microbial contamination than that of eggs coming from conventional cage production systems."

Now of course this leaves aside the important issue of minimizing cruelty. Although there are complexities here too, if you care about this then probably free range or pasture raised are best. I've seen such eggs at the farmer's market for $8/doz., which seems crazy compared with $2 eggs and $6 donated to a worthy charity.

Online JHHD

• Tourist
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2019, 08:14:32 PM »
Kim's bread is awesome and she is a neighborhood gem!

I was also underwhelmed by the eggs I recently bought at the greenmarket, but that might be because it is winter and the hens stay inside.  I often buy pasture raised eggs from Vital Farms and you can definitely see and taste the difference compared to conventional eggs, particularly in the often (but not always) bright orange yolk. When the hens forage outside and eat bugs and worms it really makes a difference.  Chickens are not vegetarians by nature.

Offline Kim Joseph

• Tourist
    • Little Wildbranch Bakery
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
I just looked at the prices.  Do people really buy $16 loaves of bread?  I've never heard of such a thing.  But it does look delicious.
Hi there!
I'd be happy to give you a sample if you'd like to try the bread first. Also, my multigrain sourdough is on the brunch menu at The Queensboro as the avocado toast if you'd like to try that!
The prices range from $6.50-$16, so there is a wide range. I'm sourcing high quality ingredients that are organic and local when available and always unbleached and non gmo.
The large loaf ($16) is ginormous, so I realize that it is pricey, but it's a lot of bread. Will feed a family of 3 for 2 weeks.
I'm here is you ever have any questions!

Offline Kim Joseph

• Tourist
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
oh my! Richie! You've moved me to tears!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Kim :D
You should come by the Queensboro on a Thursday evening to see what the loaves look like.  My partner and I have been getting Kim's bread regularly since she's been offering it.  Her sourdough is gorgeous--beautiful crust, lovely uniform crumb, an amazing funk.  I'm obsessed with bread, and grew up in the Bay Area pulling hunks off of loaves in the car on the way home from Boudin, so I feel comfortable saying that I am fairly knowledgeable about sourdough.  My prior favorite bread in New York City was from Roberta's, and I've gotten half-decent bread at Balthazar and Sullivan Street Bakery, but really wasn't that psyched about any of them.  Sourdough is a special, alchemical bread, and I thought it maybe wasn't possible here.  But, apparently, in the right hands, it is!  I can honestly say that I look forward to our bread pick-up all week long.  It's THAT GOOD. 

As for the price, the "small" loaves are around 7 bucks.  But a small loaf is the size of a normal sourdough boule, which would generally go for about 7 bucks.  The medium and large loaves are huge, handsome, imposing, and sturdy enough to feed a veritable army.  I've seen plenty of the large-sized loaves from Grandaisy and Zaro's sell for $16 a loaf. These are GIANT loaves. 

Kim's prices are more than fair for the quality and consistency of the loaves, the inventiveness of her flavors, and the knowledge that your bread is literally made in situ in a wood-fired oven.  Order a small loaf, and see if you won't be salivating as you wait for the next e-mail alerting you to the coming week's offerings.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2019, 09:03:56 PM »
Thank you for your offer.  One of these days I will break down and purchase a loaf.  As I said in my original message, it does look delicious.  I'm just a bit of a cheapskate.

Offline Kim Joseph

• Tourist
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »
Kim's bread is awesome and she is a neighborhood gem!

I was also underwhelmed by the eggs I recently bought at the greenmarket, but that might be because it is winter and the hens stay inside.  I often buy pasture raised eggs from Vital Farms and you can definitely see and taste the difference compared to conventional eggs, particularly in the often (but not always) bright orange yolk. When the hens forage outside and eat bugs and worms it really makes a difference.  Chickens are not vegetarians by nature.
Thank you so much for the kind and beautiful words!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 12:40:09 PM »