Author Topic: Bagels & fresh bread  (Read 5318 times)

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
Re: Bagels & fresh bread
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 10:59:07 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Juju's for bagels. Nice little cafe with darn good bagels and bialys. On 76th St. They'll sell you a dozen. Check them out on Yelp, very popular.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 12:34:43 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Juju's for bagels. Nice little cafe with darn good bagels and bialys. On 76th St. They'll sell you a dozen. Check them out on Yelp, very popular.
Most of the people whose opinions have been shared here seem to paint the picture of delicious food but only satisfactory bagels.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
Gothamist's best places for fresh bread in NYC: http://gothamist.com/2017/08/24/best_bread_2017_nyc.php

Sadly, they missed Cannelle, but they did mention a place in Forest Hills and one in Flushing.

Offline stevn

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 09:23:46 PM »
Most of the people whose opinions have been shared here seem to paint the picture of delicious food but only satisfactory bagels.

Maybe you should try for yourself. While Sami may not make them from scratch, the bagels and bialys are very good.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »

Maybe you should try for yourself. While Sami may not make them from scratch, the bagels and bialys are very good.

They aren't the correct density and taste to be in the running for any awards, but they're good enough.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 11:31:14 PM »
they're on par with the ones at Foodtown. i really like Sami's actual dishes, but whoever makes these needs to go back to bagel school.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 07:58:49 PM »
they're on par with the ones at Foodtown. i really like Sami's actual dishes, but whoever makes these needs to go back to bagel school.

I actually think the ones you can get a Foodtown are slightly better. Sami makes a mean tuna though. Man of his other dishes are great as well. The bagels are truly "good enough".

Offline Bel84

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 08:41:10 PM »
Who is Sami?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor

Offline N00b

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »
Canelles rustic baguette is one of the better baguettes in NYC period. 

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2017, 04:12:06 PM »
Would love if Brooklyn Bagel moved here. There are three now is Astoria.
If you're looking for Italian bread, we have an old bakery just less than a block off Roosevelt, towards 37th.
The family has been there forever.

Offline amsci

• Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2017, 04:41:20 PM »
Cool.. what's the cross street? Thanks in advance. :)

If you're looking for Italian bread, we have an old bakery just less than a block off Roosevelt, towards 37th.
The family has been there forever.

Offline Kim Joseph

• Tourist
    • Little Wildbranch Bakery
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
There is an ambitious local baker who sets up on Thursday evenings at the church on 34th where you pick up the CSA offerings. Her bread looks very good. Check CSA for hours. Also, Hawthorne Farms has just started at the farmer's market and their break looks to be a cut above that offered by Hot Kitchen or Francesca's.

That ambitious baker is me! Thank you so much!
Hello! Kim Joseph here! Little Wildbranch Bakery!
If anyone is looking for fresh sourdough bread, I'm your bread woman! My bread keeps incredibly well for 7 days, as any true sourdough should!
Every week I bake 2 types of bread- plain multigrain and baker's choice (flavors according to whats in season and where my creativity takes me). I tend to lean more towards ancient grains and whole grains, so here is where you will find nourishing hearty whole grain crusty loaves, all baked after hours in the pizza oven at The Queensboro!
I am at the Queensboro on Thursday evenings from 5-8 pm for bread pick ups. Most of the bread is by order to avoid waste, but I do try to bake extras, which go quickly.
I take orders weekly until 5 pm on Tuesdays, because that is when I make the dough.
You can find my weekly bread and most up to date info on Instagram and Fb, and of course my website at https://www.littlewildbranchbakery.com/
You may also text me your orders at 347 553-7708
Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.
Warmly,
Kim Joseph

Offline idahomie

• Tourist
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »
There is an ambitious local baker who sets up on Thursday evenings at the church on 34th where you pick up the CSA offerings. Her bread looks very good. Check CSA for hours. Also, Hawthorne Farms has just started at the farmer's market and their break looks to be a cut above that offered by Hot Kitchen or Francesca's.

That ambitious baker is me! Thank you so much!
Hello! Kim Joseph here! Little Wildbranch Bakery!
If anyone is looking for fresh sourdough bread, I'm your bread woman! My bread keeps incredibly well for 7 days, as any true sourdough should!
Every week I bake 2 types of bread- plain multigrain and baker's choice (flavors according to whats in season and where my creativity takes me). I tend to lean more towards ancient grains and whole grains, so here is where you will find nourishing hearty whole grain crusty loaves, all baked after hours in the pizza oven at The Queensboro!
I am at the Queensboro on Thursday evenings from 5-8 pm for bread pick ups. Most of the bread is by order to avoid waste, but I do try to bake extras, which go quickly.
I take orders weekly until 5 pm on Tuesdays, because that is when I make the dough.
You can find my weekly bread and most up to date info on Instagram and Fb, and of course my website at https://www.littlewildbranchbakery.com/
You may also text me your orders at 347 553-7708
Wishing everyone a lovely weekend.
Warmly,
Kim Joseph

Just wanted to chime in and rave about Kim's bread. I have gotten several loaves over the last three weeks, and am picking up a baker's choice loaf (Smoky Chili Tarragon) this Thursday. Each loaf has been phenomenal. My partner, a sourdough addict who was born and raised in the SF area, considers Kim's sourdough the best he's had. And I've had a number of dinner guests who have also gone for seconds and thirds of Kim's bread.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »
I just looked at the prices.  Do people really buy $16 loaves of bread?  I've never heard of such a thing.  But it does look delicious. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »