Author Topic: Ice cream and other desserts  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Ice cream and other desserts
« on: July 14, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
I thought it was time for a new thread on summer and frozen desserts. This photo from instagram inspired me. It's from Kabul Kabob House in Flushing. The instagram account is QueensEats

This is rosewater Persian ice cream topped with pistachio and with chunks of pistachio throughout

Please share your own pics or recommendations!

Offline EastsideJH

• Resident
Re: Ice cream and other desserts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
Avocado "shake shake" from Oda at 969 NYC Coffee. Avocado and condensed milk blended with ice, topped with a scoop of Japanese ice cream - matcha, red bean or black sesame. He also makes one with matcha instead of avocado.

Check it out on @foodandfootprints Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BVLRHFqlGH3/

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:34:25 PM »
the black sesame sounds especially good to me. had some sesame ice cream not that long ago and loved it - like a cold, melty halvah bar.

Offline jhjefe

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
Avocado "shake shake" from Oda at 969 NYC Coffee. Avocado and condensed milk blended with ice, topped with a scoop of Japanese ice cream - matcha, red bean or black sesame. He also makes one with matcha instead of avocado.

Check it out on @foodandfootprints Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BVLRHFqlGH3/

Looks amazing -thanks for posting!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:43 PM »

That looks really good.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:41:42 AM »
Prontito is soooo good!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
Remember that Korean grocery on Roosevelt  that is now a funeral parlor?  They used to have sweet corn ice cream pops that I loved and haven't seen anywhere else.

If anyone sees any type of corn ice cream in the area, let me know!  (I already know about the place in the west village that has it)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:45:10 PM »
Remember that Korean grocery on Roosevelt  that is now a funeral parlor?  They used to have sweet corn ice cream pops that I loved and haven't seen anywhere else.

If anyone sees any type of corn ice cream in the area, let me know!  (I already know about the place in the west village that has it)

I think I have seen something similar at the Food Bazaar on Northern Blvd. It is an enormous store and full of Korean products. The store is a little out of the way if you're not driving, though.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
i love that store. they have aisle after aisle of foods from different countries and cultures, not just one "ethnic" aisle. we load up a car service car once every couple months -- and need to do that again soon!

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »
i love that store. they have aisle after aisle of foods from different countries and cultures, not just one "ethnic" aisle. we load up a car service car once every couple months -- and need to do that again soon!

I have gone to Food Bazaar on Northern a couple of 3, 4 times. I'm baffled.

What I remember:
It's a warehouse; makes me feel like I'm in the suburbs. It's over-merchandised with items stacked 10 feet off the ground. It is not well stocked with vegetarian items and what it does sell is a bit on the pricey side. Some of the shelves are nearly empty, or stocked full with one or a few items.

Not for me obviously.

It was always empty (how could something so big ever look full tho?), so I hope for you and others' sake, it remains open.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:11:41 PM by jeanette »

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »
Just for old times' sake, here are our earlier threads on the topic.  There are a lot of gems in there that are worth revisiting...

Cholados & Other Local Frozen Specialties (June 2008 - May 2017)
Best Ice Cream? (June 2008 - August 2011)
Best Kulfi/Icecream in the 'hood? (April - May 2015)
Gelato in the hood (June - Sept 2016)

Offline MrPlaza

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »

I have gone to Food Bazaar on Northern a couple of 3, 4 times. I'm baffled.

What I remember:
It's a warehouse; makes me feel like I'm in the suburbs. It's over-merchandised with items stacked 10 feet off the ground. It is not well stocked with vegetarian items and what it does sell is a bit on the pricey side. Some of the shelves are nearly empty, or stocked full with one or a few items.

Not for me obviously.

It was always empty (how could something so big ever look full tho?), so I hope for you and others' sake, it remains open.
Whaaaaa--!? We LOVE Food Bazaar. Always seems to be busy when we go. And the prices are a hell of a lot better than most places. Especially Food Cellar in LIC, which is where we currently live. In fact, where the hell are you shopping?! You must have the grocery store hook up. Haha.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 11:04:04 PM »
You know what MrPlaza? Food Cellar in LIC was my favorite (used to live in the shadow of Citibank). Parking was/is ridiculous though.

It's all relative, you see. Compared to Food Cellar, Food Bazaar IS a bargain.

Today, on 82nd north of Roosie, I bought perfect sweet cherries at 99 cents a pound. Now there's a deal. (Itsit, this one's for you!) I don't think Food Bazaar would ever compete with that.

Do you honestly think F.Bazaar has anywhere near the quality and options of F.Cellar?
Like freshly-made almond butter? Dried cherries by-the-pound (not prepackaged)? Swiss (not French) Raclette?

I doubt it. Back in the day, that is what I was willing and able to pay for. Today, on a fixed income and no longer enjoying good health, not so much.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »
I'm in the upper 80s. My grocery options are Downtown Central Market on 84th, C-town on 85th, Trade Fair on 89th, and Associated on 90th.

I go to all of them for different things/reasons.

Offline MrPlaza

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 11:53:32 PM »
I'm in the upper 80s. My grocery options are Downtown Central Market on 84th, C-town on 85th, Trade Fair on 89th, and Associated on 90th.

I go to all of them for different things/reasons.
Ah. I'm going to be further down the road on 74th. So, I'll have Foodtown, and that other spot across the street. I also live (soon to be past-tense) in Court Square! I actually live right above the Food Cellar (second location). Haha. I'm not much of a cherries person, but that sounds cheap! Haha. I actually do think Food Bazaar's produce quality is on par with Food Cellar. Food Cellar has fewer misses than Food Bazaar, but frankly, at their highway robbery prices, I'm willing to sift through a few bad apples to get to the good stuff. I make cocktails at home. So something like mint, which costs like $1.50 for a large bunch at Food Bazaar costs $2.50 for a tiny package at Food Cellar. it kills me. And don't get me started on lemons and limes. It's not even a comparison. It's capitalism at its finest. There's a lot of demand, and they have all the supply.

Sorry I've taken us off topic.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 11:53:32 PM »