Author Topic: air conditioning  (Read 1548 times)

Offline xtina

• Tourist
air conditioning
« on: May 17, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
I haven't moved to JH yet. Am in the beginning stages of the buying process.
I love this apartment I am considering buying bc of the huge windows.
I was looking into a ductless system bc I want to keep the windows free of A/C boxes which block sunlight and are just ugly.  But I don't think my building will let me put in a ductless system, since the box will have to be outside, yea, actually I am pretty sure it won't be allowed.
My bedroom only has a ceiling fan because it faces the street. The broker said to keep the living room window unit A/C on and it should reach to the bedroom through the French doors.
This seems like a total waste of energy.
=(
Does everyone just use a window unit? I'm just needing some suggestions.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
Re: air conditioning
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
I also haven't moved into the hood yet, and faced the same concern. I have already purchased and when I asked about a ductless system, I was shut down. In-window ACs seem to be the standard. Wish I had better news for you.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:22:25 PM »
pretty much every building i have friends in has a "no ductless" policy. i've never lived with a unit, so i don't know what the advantages might be.

Offline Cyril108

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »
Air conditioning was also a concern I had when moving into an older apartment in the neighborhood.  In my previous places in Manhattan I always had central air which I would have to use from April until November.  Luckily many of the apartments in Jackson Heights were designed to have good air flow.  Many nights I just open the windows and use a ceiling fan.  Aside from hot nights in July and August this works just fine.  I decided to remove the window A/C units that the prior owners left in year round and replaced them with portable units that are easy to remove.  The portable units work well and are only an eyesore for 2 months instead of year round.  It's not a perfect solution but has does the job and is far less expensive than installing ductless.  I use the Friedrich PH14B.  Link below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W7PXYI/ref=asc_df_B006W7PXYI4989544/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B006W7PXYI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167149293059&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15396471913104795676&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1022759&hvtargid=pla-274004431168 

Offline wlirfan

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 11:46:42 AM »
We use window a/c's in our apartment in JH.  We do have a portable a/c unit that we use in a room at our upstate home where installing a window a/c would be impractical.  As the poster above said, they may take up some room and they're certainly not attractive, but they work reasonably well (not as powerful as window a/c's, so get higher btu's than you would for a comparable window a/c) and during the winter, it goes into storage.

Offline jackinjh

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »
Air conditioning was also a concern I had when moving into an older apartment in the neighborhood.  In my previous places in Manhattan I always had central air which I would have to use from April until November.  Luckily many of the apartments in Jackson Heights were designed to have good air flow.  Many nights I just open the windows and use a ceiling fan.  Aside from hot nights in July and August this works just fine.  I decided to remove the window A/C units that the prior owners left in year round and replaced them with portable units that are easy to remove.  The portable units work well and are only an eyesore for 2 months instead of year round.  It's not a perfect solution but has does the job and is far less expensive than installing ductless.  I use the Friedrich PH14B.  Link below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W7PXYI/ref=asc_df_B006W7PXYI4989544/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B006W7PXYI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167149293059&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15396471913104795676&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1022759&hvtargid=pla-274004431168

I did the same thing, but the one I got is really loud and doesn't really cool down my living room much especially when is over 90 degree outside. How is this one you have, is it loud when you watching TV that you need to turn the volume to max.

Offline Cyril108

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
The portable unit I mentioned above is probably the best one available.  It cools the room really well and also has a dehumidifying mode.  I don't have much experience with window units but I imagine the portable one is louder because the compressor is in the room rather than outside the window.  But I actually think the fan being on max is more problematic regarding noise.  In the living room I'm able to keep the A/C unit far from the seating area and extra noise is actually welcome in the bedroom as white noise.

On a side note, the tubes are ugly and the unit takes up some space.  So take that into consideration.  I insulated the exhaust tube as it gets really hot.  This has made a big difference in the performance and cools the room better and faster.   

Offline xtina

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
thank you. this thread was helpful.
I just have this feeling this is gonna be just the start of a long list of nuisances of living in a coop.

Offline xtina

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »
thanks for this recommendation! will look into it.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »
thank you. this thread was helpful.
I just have this feeling this is gonna be just the start of a long list of nuisances of living in a coop.
I'm pretty sure you'd have the same issue with piercing the building fabric in a condominium. Anytime you knock a hole in a building there are attendant issues of outside stuff trying (and mostly succeeding) to become inside stuff - weather, moisture, insects, etc. - when you are in a single family house you can choose what you want to deal with and what you don't want to deal with. When it's a building with other shareholders (co-op) or other owners (condo), you're not the only one who has to deal. Likewise, if it's single family, you're talking minimal invasive procedures. In my building, you'd be talking about 84 units not only knocking holes in the building fabric but also trying to hang stuff off the side of the building or stacking it up on the roof. And having a bunch of holes punched in the roof for 84  ductless HVAC units may not be much of a concern for the third floor residents, but the noise and potential for leaks for top floor residents isn't going to be an acceptable burden.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »