Author Topic: Empty store fronts  (Read 11029 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Empty store fronts
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2019, 12:26:32 PM »
50 square feet? Nobody is going to develop micro stores to help small entrepreneurs. A bunch of small stores would be a real eyesore and probably a fire hazard. Rents may be expensive in but I like shopping in 1000sf+ stores.

50 SqFt?  What a waste that would be.  I can't imagine retail becoming so tiny.  What's next?  Set up card tables in pop up shops in long empty retail stores?  Sad

Ok, great, 100 square feet minimum. The important point is really about the biz owner being able to buy the retail space and thus not being forced out.  (Folks seem to have gotten fixated on 50 square feet minimum).  If 1000 commercial square feet is 1 million dollars to buy, say...then 100 square feet could be $100K.  Pretty affordable for a biz (with a mortgage). And then no fear of commercial landlords raising rents,  leading to eviction, ever.  Just like for people who buy their apts/co-ops.

....This idea comes is in relation to the video in Steven Grey's comment above. 

------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: StevenGrey on February 23, 2019, 01:44:31 PM
I thought I would share this video from Facebook about the empty storefront "crisis" here in NYC:

https://www.facebook.com/DisappearingNYC/videos/396486050928610/

--------------------------------------------------------

Offline KGDHP

• Resident
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »
Passed by the Ultimate Look space yesterday and there were definitely people inside renovating. Does anyone have any Intel on what might be coming? (Please not another bakery or pharmacy

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »
We do have a lot of bakeries now, more every day. Temptation lurks everywhere!

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
 Is it true that AOC's office in the Bruson Building pays 17,000. in rent each month- at least I think I heard that-
so why wouldn't landlords hold out thinking that big payday will come? Its awful but unless our politicians can
change the laws this is the system we are stuck with.

Offline stevn

• Resident
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Is it true that AOC's office in the Bruson Building pays 17,000. in rent each month- at least I think I heard that-
so why wouldn't landlords hold out thinking that big payday will come? Its awful but unless our politicians can
change the laws this is the system we are stuck with.

Ocasio-Cortez said much of her office staff was comprised of people from the Jackson Heights community and she explained why she took space in the rebuilt Bruson Building located at 74-09 37th Ave. instead of former Congressman Joe Crowley’s old office suite. She said the landlord doubled the rent to $15,000 a month, but rent the third-floor offices at the Bruson Building is $5,400 a month.

https://qns.com/story/2019/03/05/ocasio-cortez-opens-district-office-in-jackson-heights-with-a-different-take-on-amazon/

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »