Author Topic: home inspector recommendations?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline ballen

• Tourist
home inspector recommendations?
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »
Hi all,
I'm planning on putting in an offer on a co-op in JH, and before signing a contract I'd like to bring a professional in to check out the unit--mostly because I'd like to get a sense of whether the place is in need of electrical and/or plumbing updates, and get a sense of how much that would cost. Does anybody have any recommendations for a home inspector, or maybe even a general contractor who could do this sort of thing?
Thanks!

Offline the80s

• Activist
Re: home inspector recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
I had a great experience with Michael Chai of Dennis Home Inspection. https://www.yelp.com/biz/dennis-home-inspection-new-york

He was nice, professional, easy to work with, reasonably priced, and seemed very thorough. He produced a detailed report with photos of all the problems he found, and talked through all of them, encouraging me to call with any follow-up questions.

I think it's really hard to know for quite a while if the home inspector missed something, so I'll just add that caveat... but so far no surprises!

Offline ballen

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
Thanks! Do you mind if I ask what he charges?

Offline the80s

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »
The fee varies depending on square footage but was somewhere in the range of $300 for a 2-bedroom, including using a thermal camera to check for leaks. We compared their quote to just one other company that was charging slightly more, although I didn't shop around super extensively.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 05:16:50 PM »