Author Topic: 33-33 82 Street Coop  (Read 1861 times)

Offline NabeNurse

• Tourist
33-33 82 Street Coop
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:17:49 AM »
G'Morning.
Im just looked at two units in 33-33 82nd Street. Anyone have any insight into this coop? I've been hunting the internet for information, but havent been able to find much.

Help is appreciated
Thank you

Offline ilovejacheights

• Tourist
Re: 33-33 82 Street Coop
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »
Hi,

I used to live in this building--for about 20 yrs.  While it's in a prime location, it is NOT a well-run co-op building.  The sponsor--Centre Manor--still controls the board even though they are not supposed to at this point.  Somehow they were able to get this bldg. converted to co-op from rent stabilized or controlled, they sold a few apartments with promises of major changes/updates, and then ended up doing nothing except holding the majority of units and renting these at market prices as longtime residents moved out or died.  The small group of owners like myself were powerless in trying to demand changes and better upkeep of the house which the sponsor/owner purposely let deteriorate year after year.  For years most of us were stuck with units that we could not sell because no bank would offer a mortgage for these types of co-ops.   Our saving grace was cash buyers who were seeking a good co-op to rent in from day 1 and a nonexistent board that asked no questions and never met.  While there were a lot of nice residents that live there,  the corrupt management, the pest problems, shoddy conditions, and the fact that my unit appreciated so little compared to neighboring buildings eventually drove me to move. 

Please don't be fooled by the sham info like inflated prices and square footage that you'll see on MLS and other sites for apartments there.  It's just a ploy by the sponsor to sell their units which are grossly overpriced.  Better to stop by there and talk to a few residents to get the real deal on the building, and I believe you'll choose to look elsewhere.  There are some really great coops in JH but sadly, this is definitely not one of them. 

P.S.  Also, just saw your post on Donner Gardens, and I can only say that it used to be a better run house compared to 33-33 82nd, in that it was cleaner and better kept, and there was a staff that one could call for maintenance issues.  I don't know much more than that as it was just next door to us.  But as I mentioned above, I encourage you to hang around the entrances and talk to some of the residents.  Most will gladly give you genuine insider information on what conditions are really like. 

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:11:24 AM by ilovejacheights »

Offline NabeNurse

• Tourist
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »
Thanks! I will definitely loiter and see what people have to say

Offline quelfromage

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »
Hello:

I live in the building and enjoy my life here. If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me.
I own my co-op apartment and have for 3 years. The building has issues like any building here but are usually tended to (some later than others).  I am not well informed as to the history of the building sponsors.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:29:45 AM »