Author Topic: Swim Two Birds - Where We're At  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: Swim Two Birds, the final chapter?
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
Is there any proof that landlords favor so-called "ethnic" restaurants over so-called "euro" eateries?  In my experience, landlords only favor those who can pay the most rent.  Part of Swim Two Birds problem was the application for a liquor license.  Also, the owners had a less than cordial relationship with the local Community Board which has to sign off on such a permit.  More importantly, if it's the landlord's fault then how come Swim Two Birds was able to sign a lease

It's not about favoring a specific type of cuisine, it's about certain landlords giving preferential rents to people from their home region. It's not all of the landlords, it's some of them. Maybe a different landlord owns the spot where Swim Two Birds might open.

We have no idea what is going on with Swim Two Birds and it's pointless to try to assign blame to anyone.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »
 Anyone know what's the status of the Queensboro?

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 01:22:49 PM »
It's not about favoring a specific type of cuisine, it's about certain landlords giving preferential rents to people from their home region. It's not all of the landlords, it's some of them. Maybe a different landlord owns the spot where Swim Two Birds might open.

Exactly. I am familiar with that building. The current owners are from the Far East, but have not demonstrated the type of presumed preferential access that is the subject of this discussion.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
Last I heard (from a credible source) the issue was some ancient building violations that predated them signing their lease.  Work was halted because of that. I heard that months ago, though.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2016, 10:02:59 AM »
i think that's the case, but since the management was so prolific in posting every detail of the progress on things like choosing chairs (which looked very nice), it's not good when this many months go by without a single word.

and the same might be said (in terms of no info) on the queensboro, whose owners seem to have disappeared entirely -- and they used to be board regulars on a lot of fronts.

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
just what possible other explanation would there be for the long-term existence of these relatively huge stores in an area with sky-high rents? 

It lays in perspective.  Let us be honest here.  Most posters on this matter, myself included, share a particular perspective which does not match up with the perspectives of the overwhelming majority of residents of the area.  We wonder aloud of how some businesses flower and others fail without doing a very good job of understanding the habits of those who wield the lion's share of spending power, sometimes reverting to borderline fantastical insinuations of malfeasance, conspiration or prejudice.  Even tossing about the term "ethnic" is telling.  Try taking ethnic out of the equation and then postulate how so many banks and phone stores flourish around here.  It is their consumer habits, not ours, that is the primary vehicle for business development in the area.  Is there a natural constituency around here to support a reclaimed wood and iron bistro offering up burgers, salads and Sculpin IPA sans televisions?  I'm positive there is, but how much crushingly larger is the constituency for the shops that have earned extra enmity?  I'm comfortably certain that a genuine reflection of differing perspectives, an understanding of business models and a fair grasp Jackson Heights commercial real estate would offer grounded explanations.

I know nothing of the economics of 99 cent stores, which makes me par for the course around here.  I can observe though.  "Jackson Heights 99 cent and up", between 85th and 86th, has an entire aisle filled with homeware which befit such a business.  What force, other than market economics, would compel the owners to stock that inventory and devote such a large amount of space to it if no one was buying it?  Raise your hand if your cupboards are filled with their plates, glasses and flatware.  Someone is buying it.  That's what makes that store meet its rent.  That and the fact the owners sweat day and night, 7 days a week, to pull it off.  It insults their hard work to figure otherwise.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
Palermo may be a bit naive. I have no idea if 99 cent stores are ever used as "fronts" for illegal businesses, but I've been hearing about such things for years---businesses that are actually fronts-- not only in relation to JH, but to other neighborhoods I've lived in. I have a hard time believing this idea is merely a myth and never true. So depicting every storefront (especially ones that never seem to have customers) as heroically struggling mom-and-pop's seems a bit naive to me. And as has been mentioned before, sometimes landlords will indeed give preferential treatment to tenants they are connected to, sometimes via their homelands. This happens, according to people who seem to know, plus it seems entirely plausible and natural that it would. So to deny that anything may be exerting some sort of influence over the retail landscape other than natural market forces (the idea that there are more 99 cent store patrons than not here) just seems to be over-simplifying the situation.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
in 35-plus years of living here, the places i've seen busted as 'fronts' are usually restaurants, bars and coffee houses. and, naturally, currency exchange places. never seen a 99 cent store or nail salon brought down. there's always a first time, of course.

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2016, 10:31:52 AM »
ljr, your first sentence was spot on and I admire your efforts to erect a straw man with the rest of it.  Do it enough and you can be elected president, 'specially where immigrants are concerned.  Regardless, while I thought it obvious, perhaps it wasn't: saying "market economics" is not meant to connote a spherical chicken in a vacuum situation.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »
I just think a system that has oversight by way of regulations, anti-discrimination laws, tax breaks, etc. should be fair. If it's not, we should at the very least (for example, street vendor black-market licensing) be aware of it.

The consequences of unfair rental practices are far reaching. Taxes, jobs, infrastructure, political district lines, all affected.   

I think Donald Trump is a thief and a liar, yet as far as we know his conduct in business has been legal. Still, common sense tells us that his success is not a result of his superior intellect or "hard work." Like the driver who forces their car in front of yours so that you are stuck in the intersection during a green light. Who gets the ticket? Not the one who muscled you out.

Offline M7X7

• Activist
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »
Still, common sense tells us that his success is not a result of his superior intellect or "hard work."

This is very off-topic, but FWIW he actually hasn't been all that successful. Trump's businesses have under-performed the market as a whole. He's rich because he started rich and real estate has risen a lot, but he's quite literally a below average businessman.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »
He's rich because he started rich and real estate has risen a lot, but he's quite literally a below average businessman.

Where's the like button?

I think he's "successful" at gaming the system. I remember when he filed bankruptcy just as he was divorcing Ivana. His timing is spot on.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »
Last three things I bought at a 99 cent store, within the last two weeks: Aim toothpaste (cheaper than Crest and Colgate and no longer available at drug stores); a shot glass; and some name brand deodorant.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2016, 09:09:40 AM »
There was alot of action yesterday at the restaurant. A nice looking bar is immediately to the left and workers were busy.
 Who knows?? But in a year of craziness, he just might be open and serving those wonderful French Canadian holiday
meat pies called Tourtiere for Jackson Heights folks to savor this Christmas. Would be amazing.

Offline Songodd

• Citizen
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »
Last three things I bought at a 99 cent store, within the last two weeks: Aim toothpaste (cheaper than Crest and Colgate and no longer available at drug stores); a shot glass; and some name brand deodorant.

i think 99 stores flourished during the recession. i remember them popping up a lot in the 90s. BTW the guy from two birds was insulting and probably pissed off the wrong people. you don't get anywhere by attacking the community board and making accusations.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2016, 01:12:01 PM »