Author Topic: Swim Two Birds - Where We're At  (Read 7097 times)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: Swim Two Birds, the final chapter?
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »
What do purchases at the general dollar store have to do with preferential rent practices? The profit/loss of the store is not the issue.

I am suggesting that these relatively huge stores may not be paying the rents that would ordinarily be quoted to others. Many of us claim to be baffled by the high rents in JH. Perhaps it is because some renters are subsidizing preferential rent practices. In context it doesn't sound far fetched.

If true, it could be viewed as unfair. It is ethnocentric at the very least. There's an awful lot of unhappy Americans these days claiming a disadvantage in the way the economy and other sectors play out. Perhaps the above is an example of what has brought about this sentiment.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2016, 06:52:08 AM »
I don't know what else there is to say about Swim Two Birds that hasn't already been said (or asked over and over again). It will open or it won't.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:35 AM »
I don't know what else there is to say about Swim Two Birds that hasn't already been said (or asked over and over again). It will open or it won't.
So they should change the name to "Schrodinger's"?

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
Or maybe Godot's.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2016, 02:20:55 AM »
As someone who will be moving to the neighborhood next year (at some point), I'm pretty bummed about the uncertainty around this opening. I would say that given the lack of progress, it seems unlikely this is moving ahead at all. Similar to Queensboro

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »
Please stop it.....in other words the burden of proof is on you to back up the claim that these are "free market". Show me the books! until then the best we can say is WE DON'T KNOW.
I think if you took even the smallest step into the business end of local shops, you'd see where the burden of proof lay.

At first I had thought Swim Two Birds was a bit of a put on.  For almost three decades now, I've been in the food business, be it counter work, bussing, waitering, cooking, managing or owning.  There was something about how he talked about it which just didn't seem to ring true, like he was pulling our collective leg.  Putting the cart far ahead of the horse and then the meltdown about JH food made it seem more fake.  But since it is real, I do hope he can somehow turn it around.  Regardless of how impolitical he might have been, I hate to see someone put that much time and energy into something for nothing.

Offline mgrave22

• Resident
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »
I've heard work being done in the store over the past few weeks walking by. Something is happening.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
I do hope he can somehow turn it around. Regardless of how impolitical he might have been, I hate to see someone put that much time and energy into something for nothing.

Me too! I'm really rooting for Swim Two Birds. I actually didn't get a suspicious vibe at all. What I saw/heard was a person who is used to putting a lot of artistry into the business of serving food to the public, a perfectionist. And that slammed up against unforeseen bureaucracy — which perhaps many on this board who have experience in the food industry and particularly in JH were not surprised by. But I think Stu was genuinely surprised by it. Maybe we aren't hearing very much right now, because he was smacked down after sharing too much too soon. Perhaps the silence is strategic.

I really hope things are moving ahead as planned. I would love to see this restaurant come to fruition.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »

Whatever opens up in that space, pleeaase let it be special, something we don't already have in JH !

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »
The lights were on so I peeked in through a gap in the window coverings this evening.  New drywall is up with some moldings already installed, the ceiling looks mostly done.  Looks like a lot of progress from the last time I looked in which, admittedly, was quite a while ago. 

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
The lights were on so I peeked in through a gap in the window coverings this evening.  New drywall is up with some moldings already installed, the ceiling looks mostly done.  Looks like a lot of progress from the last time I looked in which, admittedly, was quite a while ago.
This is awesome to hear! I think Di_11372 nailed what I think it is we're all trying to say: There's clearly an appetite (no pun intended) for restaurants and businesses that are different. Something foreign and different to what the neighborhood currently provides.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »
Well, well, well...

The new construction facade in front of the premises indicates that yes, it's the final chapter.

The final chapter for the restaurant's opening!

Congrats to them for their persistence.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2016, 12:58:35 PM »
Well, well, well...

The new construction facade in front of the premises indicates that yes, it's the final chapter.

The final chapter for the restaurant's opening!

Congrats to them for their persistence.

Great!

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2016, 02:06:47 PM »
That's awesome! 

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2016, 10:45:01 PM »
I saw the temporary facade tonite and thought the same, they will finally open, talk about a long, hard journey. Impressive.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2016, 10:45:01 PM »