Author Topic: Queens Diwali Festival  (Read 16262 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Queens Diwali Festival
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:11:29 AM »
Jeff gets the scoop...

The Diwali Festival will be held on 74th Street on October 12, 2008.  Diwali, the "Festival of Lights" is a major religious and secular holiday in Indian and Nepal.

Here's a great report from NY1 last year on preparations for Diwali at Rajbhog sweets...
http://www.ny1.com/Default.aspx?SecID=1000&ArID=75289
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:58:47 PM by toddg »

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Queens Diwali Festival
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:56:21 PM »
They started to put up lights down 74th and also posters in the neighborhood today. looks cool. I don't know what to expect!

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
Forgive my ignorance - Is the festival in Jackson Heights for a stretch of days, or just one day. From the little bit of research I did, it seems to me that Diwali is a multi-day celebration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali#The_six_days. Or is it all just on one day in Jackson Heights? Will the lights be up the night before? I have friends coming into town who want to see my new neighborhood that weekend, and thought that this could be a really special thing to see. (Of course, I'd imagine that parking could be a bit rough that day too!)
- MW

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
Im no expert, but from the research I've done I believe that lights will be for a couple of weeks but the festival will be on that Sunday only - for the 74th street shindig.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:05:11 PM »
The lights generally stay up through the Christmas season.  The festival is one day only, and in good weather brings pretty big crowds to 74th Street.

Here's a preview of the lights: http://www.desijacksonheights.com/

Offline GregNYC

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »
I went today. There were many people there.

Offline KC

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 05:41:53 PM »
You know, I usually think it is really great that the white lights usually go up in October for Diwali and stay up until Three Kings day in January.  I work on 74th St and 37th, and I love coming out of the office during the darkest season of the year and being greated by festive lights during that dreary time that it is dark before I start my 13 block commute home.  However, at least once they took the white Diwali lights down and then left the street dark for a few weeks, and then put up colored lights for Christmas... which I thought was really silly. 

But this year they put up a decoration with white lights over 74th street about two weeks ago... and it features snowflakes and bells. 

I am not an expert on Diwali either, but I'm just guessing here that snowflakes and bells are not traditional Diwali symbols....   ???

Offline MarcusW

• Council Member
  • Living here and loving it!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 01:31:55 AM »
Still haven't closed and moved to the neighborhood, but we did go out a bit for the day.

The streets were packed at mid-afternoon! I wanted to be there at night, since it is a festival of lights, but had other engagements this evening.

Full set online at http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcuswoollen/sets/72157607981567823/

Lots of fun, and we tried our first Indian sweets, from Rajbong on 37th at 73rd. I've loved Indian food since I visited London as a kid from Belgium, but never had any of the sweets.

Wow. Very sweet - we got a 1lb box to split three ways - and could only eat about half. Still, they have great tea! (I guess I would have called it Chai tea, but they called it Indian Masala tea. I can see that would be a wonderful way to warm up on the way to the subway when the air gets frosty!)

- MW

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 02:42:50 AM »
I was there and had a time. I also took approximately a billion pictures that I have yet to upload to the ’Net. Everything was so colorful and fun. The stalls selling music and videos were playing their music at outlandish volumes, but I surprisingly became fairly accustomed to it as the hours went by. The segments of the sidewalks closest to 37th Avenue and the stage became dangerously crowded at times, and I must say, there were about a hundred people to whom I really wanted to say, “Today might have been a good day to leave the stroller at home.” This board allows enough anonymity that I have no idea if I saw any of you, although I am pretty sure I saw our Jeff O. with a friend, but the distance between us as well as the angle made me uncertain. (Sorry I missed you, Marcus. :() I  have been to little festivals in and around Jackson Heights, but wow, this was an extravaganza. I think only Queens gay pride topped it in sheer size and spectacle.
Elyaqim Mosheh Adam (a.k.a. “Mark”)
Seventy-second Street
Blogger | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
hey, i was there for 2 sessions yesterday.  ELA, sorry i missed you , would havce been fun.
food was great, some of waht they were offering awas different tahn the regular fair. maybe it was more street/party food.

well, at 7pm I went out to see what it would turn into. cops were telling them they had to pack it up, and all of the sudden the prices started dropping! I got a basket of biryani for 5, another for 2 and a curry chicken rollup for 2. so, that's what i will be bringing for dinner at work this week. im set.

6 hours and the streets were packed throughout. pretty amazing and a lot of fun. i will havce pictures too.

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 01:26:44 AM »
hey, i was there for 2 sessions yesterday.  ELA, sorry i missed you , would havce been fun.
food was great, some of waht they were offering awas different tahn the regular fair. maybe it was more street/party food.

well, at 7pm I went out to see what it would turn into. cops were telling them they had to pack it up, and all of the sudden the prices started dropping! I got a basket of biryani for 5, another for 2 and a curry chicken rollup for 2. so, that's what i will be bringing for dinner at work this week. im set.

6 hours and the streets were packed throughout. pretty amazing and a lot of fun. i will havce pictures too.

(Am I ELA?) The food available really seemed to stress portability, so it was mostly doughy appetizers, kebabs and desserts, and understandably so. Some stalls served buffet-style food in styrene containers, but mine was so unwieldy and messy (not to mention sans fork) that I had to go home to eat it and then return to the mela. Jeff, to say that prices dropped as time elapsed is quite the understatement. First the DVDs were five for twenty dollars, then the handwritten signs were adjusted to change the five into a six. By the time I was ready to go home again, the young men were hawking their goods on their microphones at five for ten dollars, a price so low that CDs and DVDs wound up at the same price. So I bought five DVDs because I’m such a sucker for movie musicals: Right now I’m in the middle of God tussi great ho, and I look forward to the rare Bollywood Lesbian-themed movie, Men not Allowed.

I determined I took 130 pictures Sunday. I’m used to uploading my pictures to Facebook for their social networking capabilities, so bear with me. If you have a Facebook account, these URLs should work:
• http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61364
• http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61393
• http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61400

If you do not have a Facebook account, or if I got the above URLs wrong, try these links, although I find Facebook seems to sometimes drop some pictures from what’s visible with external links like these:
• http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61364&l=7164f&id=510279107
• http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61393&l=daa2d&id=510279107
• http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61400&l=9db3c&id=510279107

By the way, my camera is broken, and I’m aware of it. The white balance is irrevocably off-kilter, and areas of bright reflected light look pink instead. I have tried to correct it with both manual and automatic white balance settings to no avail, and I find I like the color pink, so feel free not to mention how little detail is visible in certain images. If it truly bothers you, please buy me a new camera.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:33:11 AM by elyaqim »
Seventy-second Street

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »
Diwali Mela 2009 will be held on 74th Street and 37th Road on October 11, 2009

Offline Really4rob

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 05:59:48 PM »
Diwali Mela 2009 will be held on 74th Street and 37th Road on October 11, 2009

LOL, I was reading everything like ... but I was on 74th today and saw nothing.  I ate in Delhi Palace (I'm a creature of habit, I think I've been there most Saturdays for the past 15 years), so I was sure I couldn't have missed a festival (though I saw the lights were up.)

Then I realized I read all the 2008 posts.  Thanks Todd for ending my confusion.
Think before you speak.  Speak your mind.  Mind your business.  Business before pleasure.
Any questions?

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 01:44:09 AM »
Well, another Divali mela has come and gone. The first (approximately) eighty of my 280 pictures are uploaded to Facebook. They can be viewed, Facebook account or no, in my photo album “October 2009, part I,” beginning with image number 117. Following are just three choice examples from this first batch.. The remaining (approximately) two hundred pictures will be uploaded soon.

Seventy-second Street

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »
it was a great fest. I liked the food better this year than the last.
here's my flickr set of pics. about a tenth that of elyaqim's though.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orlick/sets/72157622565735318/

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »