Author Topic: Travers Park Update  (Read 6221 times)

Offline itsit

• Council Member
Re: Travers Park Update
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
 It would be a travesty to keep the park closed for another summer. It looks so close to finished that seems unlikely but
no dates have been publicized for an opening in spring or summer. Lets hope something is announced soon.

Offline European

• Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 04:41:51 PM »
Will they also remodel children's playground or this is it?

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »
the fact that large portions are set aside for use by children is a mitigating factor. those inspections, clearances, etc. are more closely examined.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
Don't think NYC Parks ever said it was going to take less than 18 months to renovate Travers Park. The department always said they would renovate in phases so that some part of the park is *always open.
I don't see how the "Great Lawn atop Mount Jackson Heights" could possibly be open this year. The sod needs to be rolled out and have a growing season to properly root before people do what they do atop it. I don't know if that means it can open in the fall or next year.
To answer someone else's question, there is to be a completely seperate renovation of the kiddie area under a plan announced, I think, early last summer at the park. This came ab out when new funding became available.

*Back around 1994, the entire park was closed for 18 months to two years due to a problem with the contractor who had started the work and the job had to be rebid. We may justifiably complain about somethings, but NYC Parks is much better run the last couple of decades.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »