Author Topic: Travers Park Update  (Read 19589 times)

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
Re: Travers Park Update
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
It's not going to be grass?  It's going to be Astro turf?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
I still can’t wrap my head around this taking over a year.  Won’t be complete until 2019!!    The Empire State Building was built in a year, get it done you lazy nyc unions. It’s a field and some Astro turf.

the empire state building was built with union labor. try another insult.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »
That is the insult.  The same union was able to build an iconic skyscraper in a year.  You would think 90 years later they could lay down some Astro turf and put in a grass field in significantly less time. Something is very wrong with the speed In construction these days

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
Government procurement is a slow, broken process. A simple thing like one small portion of an insurance certificate expiring can cause a delay until it's renewed. There are usually multiple agencies involved, which makes things even slower. There are so many little things that cause major delays that I personally think it's a miracle any time a project gets completed. There is just so much red tape.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
agreed, Lilybell. it's the white collar paper pushers causing delays, not the unions.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
agreed, Lilybell. it's the white collar paper pushers causing delays, not the unions.

How do you know this?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »
i'm using the same body of evidence as the person i am debating. you look at it and decide which of us is closer to being accurate.

see also: Swim Two Birds, The Queensboro.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 07:22:23 PM »
The playground renovation that was done on 34th Ave and Junction Blvd seemed to be completed very quickly.  Every week when driving by -we would see people actively working and the final results look great.  I am optimistic that this will be finished on-time and create a park that will be used by more people.  (Fingers crossed)

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 01:58:14 PM »
IMHO. there are lots of reasons why Travers Park reconstruction is slower than hoped for, and I don't think any of them are union related.
 First was the dispute between Park and Transportation Department over control/responsibility for play street, (which is transportation property.) That may sound silly to us, but when you have a department and a certain amount of money to spend, you don't want to get stuck with an open-ended financial liability, which brings us to the mysterious infrastructure beneath the ground that needs to be scouted out.
Also, government is slow compared to private industry because there is no need for public oversight there.
Finally there is the requirement that at least part of the park remain open throughout the reconstruction. Back in the early-mid 1990s the park was rebuilt all at once and the contractor defaulted. The park was closed for three years if I correctly recall.

Offline luckyghost

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »
a little sad to see the shape of the "great lawn" emerging and how small it's to be relative to the space they cleared... lotta new concrete replacing the old asphalt

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »
comment redacted due to my lack of reading comprehension... ;)

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 09:16:07 PM »
Stopped by Travers Park earlier today and took photos of the work in progress:

Offline abu benuska

• Activist
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 03:46:16 PM »
Sad to see that half of the park looks almost done, but that construction has been essentially stopped for more than a month. Seems like they are waiting for better weather for the lawn? Is it going to be real grass? I looked up and the park won't be finished till September! Gosh, why does it take so long?

https://www.nycgovparks.org/planning-and-building/capital-project-tracker/project/6276

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
From what I see, looks like a big improvement. If it turns out great, I don't mind the wait.  When the time comes, hope they green the Garden  School concrete jungle. Now that would be worth waiting for!

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »

Looks like they could finish before the September projection. & Yes, in winter months, this type of work does pause.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »