Author Topic: Travers Park Update  (Read 15248 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Travers Park Update
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2019, 11:13:19 PM »
I just watched it again. It seems like a major failure on the part of Parks and DOT. The DOT Commissioner said "we thought the curb cut was dormant" -- I'm sorry, but they saw the curb cut was there and thought it was dormant? Isn't this what lawyers are for in the first place? They should have ensured it was permanently dormant. I completely understand why Dromm and the Green Alliance are furious.

So you are saying that the Dept of Parks and Dept of Transport  THOUGHT the owner of the building wasn't using the curb cut. But they never bothered to verify the situation?

Alas, that doesn't bode well for keeping the Northern Bld end of 78th St as a park...

Is it incompetence that they are trying to hide that stems from the planning stage?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »
I just watched it again. It seems like a major failure on the part of Parks and DOT. The DOT Commissioner said "we thought the curb cut was dormant" -- I'm sorry, but they saw the curb cut was there and thought it was dormant? Isn't this what lawyers are for in the first place? They should have ensured it was permanently dormant. I completely understand why Dromm and the Green Alliance are furious.

So you are saying that the Dept of Parks and Dept of Transport  THOUGHT the owner of the building wasn't using the curb cut. But they never bothered to verify the situation?

Alas, that doesn't bode well for keeping the Northern Bld end of 78th St as a park...

City incompetence that they are trying to hide that stems from the planning stage?

That's what I gathered from the 10 minute clip. What did you think when you watched it?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »

City incompetence that they are trying to hide that stems from the planning stage?

That's what I gathered from the 10 minute clip. What did you think when you watched it?

I thought the woman from DOT was dissembling.  (Concealing the true situation)

Online itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2019, 08:27:36 AM »
Questions to ask of this discussion thread:
- If this protest were to take place in July, how many of the people that were there would be
   vacationing elsewhere and how many of the people in the park at that time would want that
   street inset closed? I suspect you would have a vastly different answer. The inset has been
   used as I have seen it for PreK drop offs, NYC Dept of Parks workers, NYPD and others who
   need to pull of Northern Blvd as well as the dealership. There is a sizable group who oppose
   closing this street and as they are not running for office, they would like to see this stay
   functioning as is. They also remember times when the park was not so safe and that police
   access, particularly on hot summer nights, was wanted. Many of my friends and their children
   have had "incidents" of some degree in the park. Theft, assault, verbal abuse, etc and as
   most users know, there is little oversight within the park. This is only one of many reasons
   that people like this inset available- safety.

- Who/what aspects of the community are represented here? The people who live on 77th street
   buildings and will be tremendously effected? Rainbowland Nursery School? Bus riders on
   Northern Blvd? The huge amount of school children on 77th, 78th, 79th and 80th streets?
   The many teachers who are commuting from out of the neighborhood to this area which
   has long been used by a number of schools for little kids to 12th grade? The big answer is
   the majority of those opposing here are only focused on getting this teeny tiny weird space
  (two big walls and a street on 3 sides space) for the park. Whoever thinks this wouldn't
   immediately become a  sports venue (makeshift soccer/cricket field)  hasn't been at Travers Park
   at 4:00 on a stinking hot Saturday in July. And who in their right mind would add to the
   traffic on 79th street on a school day? Have you ever been there when school lets out?
   We need every possible outlet at that time.

- Why is all the lead focus on these few sq yards of 78th Street on Koeppel? Because of the profile
    they have and yes, I have bought cars at Koeppel, as have so many of my neighbors which
    is why they have the successful business they do here. And they have lawyers that the
    renters on 77th street won't be able to afford as their street would be adversely affected
    by this change too. Do not work there but like them as a business- which like others in
    the vicinity are dealerships, schools, drugstores, restaurants, convenience stores, etc. who
    pay taxes which make things like parks more viable on top of our real estate and sales taxes.
    As Koeppel's is a gay-owned business in a diverse neighborhood and a business that has
    been HUGELY supportive of neighborhood activities, I think that the attack on them is not
    civil. It smacks of someone with a thin resume who needs to pad it somehow and has picked
    this as a "W" to put beside their name.

Hopefully, we will have many people who are planning to run for Danny Dromm's seat
   and they will treat all of the residents and businesses whose lives and livelihoods are
   changed by neighborhood projects, not just those who are fully "networked" as the
   one side. Be civil. Hear all sides of the story. Be on the ground asking peoples opinions
   and knock on doors of all the locals. This is two sided debate and wish both sides would be
   respected here. This goes for the DOT, Danny's office and Parks.

Encouraging lots of new candidates here to run for Councilman!!

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »
The controversial space is about as big as Diversity Plaza.

In a neighborhood that is renown to have almost the least open park space in all of NYC for over 100,000 inhabitants... every square inch counts.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »
i'm still curious about what, if any, financial interest ItsIt has in this matter.

and, yes, a multitude of candidates should come forward. we've had a wonderful rep in Danny Dromm (who's far more receptive to the community than recent predecessors were) and i hope that run continues with whoever is elected next.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »
Dromm comes across as a big idiot bully who obviously has no understanding of property rights. That curb cut is in front of a wide garage door that enters a service garage. Toyota used to use it and they moved a few blocks away. So the service center was closed till Mazda reopened it. There are many hydraulic lifts installed behind those doors. It is a approved DOB driveway for over 50 years. The NYC DOT knew that it was because they left the street there. The city should of contacted the owner of the property and bought his rights to use his curb cut and garage access. This would need to be in writing and recorded. Then the city could remove the curb. Dromm states openly “take it and let them sue the city to try to take it back”. He is advocating the government seizure of land without any compensation. That is what was done in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union. That land will be worth much less without that crucial side entrance for the service department. Clearly this land is worth over $10 million. I believe this whole controversy is over a small section of street that should remain as it is. This street also allows cars to safely move off Northern Blvd for dropping off children. It is really a shame that our elected official is nothing more than a mindless tyrant.

Offline odyshape

• Tourist
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
 ::)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2019, 11:38:13 AM »
https://youtu.be/JohGniYph-c

Dromm comes across as a big idiot bully who obviously has no understanding of property rights. That curb cut is in front of a wide garage door that enters a service garage. Toyota used to use it and they moved a few blocks away. So the service center was closed till Mazda reopened it. There are many hydraulic lifts installed behind those doors. It is a approved DOB driveway for over 50 years. The NYC DOT knew that it was because they left the street there. The city should of contacted the owner of the property and bought his rights to use his curb cut and garage access. This would need to be in writing and recorded. Then the city could remove the curb. Dromm states openly “take it and let them sue the city to try to take it back”. He is advocating the government seizure of land without any compensation. That is what was done in Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union. That land will be worth much less without that crucial side entrance for the service department. Clearly this land is worth over $10 million. I believe this whole controversy is over a small section of street that should remain as it is. This street also allows cars to safely move off Northern Blvd for dropping off children. It is really a shame that our elected official is nothing more than a mindless tyrant.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2019, 02:19:56 PM »
Dromm, “I don’t care, let’s just close the street permanently and let the wealthy property owner sue us!”

In what Democratic country is this ever an option?

A judge will stop the DOT from doing that.

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »
I noticed the owners of this dealership are illegally storing their cars in front of their property. The law is pretty clear on this. I would be more concerned about safety with them  DRIVING ON THE ACTUAL SIDEWALK TO STORE THEIR CARS, than the legal driveway they use. Has anyone called 311 to report this illegal situation? I have, but the more calls, the more enforcement.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2019, 12:09:07 PM »
Dromm, “I don’t care, let’s just close the street permanently and let the wealthy property owner sue us!”

In what Democratic country is this ever an option?

A judge will stop the DOT from doing that.

it's worked again and again over the decades, like the demapping of a slew of streets that helped build the original WTC, the removal of a dozen or so lower east side streets to build public housing....the use of eminent domain to take over private property for use by for profit entities like sports teams.....

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
^the annexation of Hawaii as a U.S. territory after U.S. business interests lead a bloodless coup of the monarchy. Democracies are if nothing, always ethical.

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2019, 04:14:22 PM »
Let's be serious. The garage exit poses no threat to children playing in the park. This used to be a much more heavily trafficked street before the park took over the rest of the street. I don't recall there being any problems then. Why make a big deal of it now? I'm more concerned with the loss of the playing field. We used to have tennis, softball, soccer and cricket (sometimes all at the same time) in addition to the soccer games in The Garden School's schoolyard. Plus roller hockey years ago. Now just tag and Frisbee, I guess.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2019, 04:14:22 PM »