Author Topic: Anything better then time Warner internet?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline liton2k

• Tourist
Anything better then time Warner internet?
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:12:51 PM »
Is there any other company provide internet , time warner cable internet sucks its slow plus expensive ..

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
Re: Anything better then time Warner internet?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 10:36:30 PM »
I've been with TWC for many years and I'm pleased.  I have Internet Extreme which is the fastest speed they have.  I'm willing to pay the extra dollars for speed.  Our building is currently being wired for FIOS and Verizon will be available soon.  I plan to remain with TWC.  I hope you get other responses.

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:54:14 PM »
I have the extreme 300/20 service and I've been greatly dissatisfied by it.  It gets very slow at times with very high latencies.  The only other options in JH are Verizon DSL (very slow speeds) or FIOS if you're lucky enough to be able to get it.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 05:46:27 AM »
Here, you can buy a modem instead of renting it from them
https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html

I have been meaning to do this. They are always warning that they might upgrade systems, but mine has been the same for basically ever. I don't see a reason not to do it. It will pay for itself in a year.

Offline Marco

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
I'd just like to revive this conversation topic.

As of now, if you want residential internet in JH, is it mostly a 2-player duopoly for >90% of the market (Spectrum & Verizon [fios or DSL]), and the alternative being other very small players offering frustratingly slow speeds?

If you don't want cable TV and "voice" (whatever voice is), and just want the internet in your residence, you have to pay about $100 per month because of the duopolist price setting applied by the two megagiants price gauging the middle class?

Does anyone have a good option on this?
Thank you

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
It's only going to get worse now that net neutrality has been overturned. Already all the internet service providers are raising prices higher. Another of the awful things currently happening in this country.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »
Marco, to your question: there IS an option to only pay for internet (no TV or voice). That's what I have.

This of course doesn't negate what you said about the duopoly, or the ridiculously prices for the service quality, but I hope it helps.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
I tried to research the whole speed issue awhile ago in order to determine if we really had to be paying a premium price to get good internet. The impression I got was that it's basically a scam --they tell you that you are getting very fast service for the premium price, whereas in fact how fast your service is depends more on other traffic in your area, how many people are using a certain channel at a certain time, etc, than it does on how much you are paying. And that when they tell you that you need XXX speed (I don't remember) in order to have fast and reliable service, that's BS because you really do not need that high speed unless you are gaming or doing something else that requires very high download/upload speeds. All that said, we have not been able to get ourselves to cancel our costly plan and try a less costly, lower-speed one, because we really need the best possible internet service and feel like we can't take a chance on going down a rung or two. But we pay a lot for internet, landline (our cell service can be spotty and we need it for work), and TV including several premium channels. We have two hookups and pay around $270 a month for all of that. I do fear prices will only be rising now that they have us by the you-know-whats.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 10:51:01 PM »
You are talking about internet cost, but most of your cost is from your television service. I'm not sure what you mean by two hookups, but let's go over what you need and how much it costs. The fastest internet available shouldn't run you more than $100 per month. Once you have high speed internet, you don't need cable TV. Local channels are available over the air for free. You can add premium channels for about $15 per month each. If you like all those other cable channels, you can add Sling TV or DirectTV Now or one of the other services for $20 to $50. Unfortunately, if you have to watch local sports, you're probably stuck with cable, but out of town sports packages can also be added on. Buy your own cable modem and wifi router and you'll save on equipment rental fees as well. For phone service you can buy an Ooma Telo and get the same service your cable company charges $30 a month for $4 a month. There's an article on Cable Cutter Newsabout saving $2000 a year. Also, even if you don't drop your current provider, talking to them about cutting some of your services will probably lead to a reduction in your current bill. If your building offers RCN, you an get gigabyte internet for about $50 a month. Good luck and don't be afraid to try to change things up.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »
My TWC bill is 325, down from 350. I have Two modems, and all the  NY Ranger games

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 12:24:40 AM »
Thank you JH Resident. I have tried to call and threaten and get them to reduce the bill--it doesn't work anymore! I've heard others say the same thing: it doesn't work anymore. We tried to figure out cord cutting, but my husband does want the full array of sports and also news--for his work, which is in media, he needs access to MSNBC and all the rest of the news channels. It winds up being difficult to put all that together--you might need to be doing a lot of switching from one thing to the other, one piece of equipment to the other, and maybe we'd need an antenna? It all seemed much too hard. We actually brought someone in--paid a consultant--to direct us on this and a few other computer/network/internet related issues--and the guy just kind of sat there scratching his head, trying to figure out what to tell us while we paid him a high hourly fee. We had somehow thought he could walk in and tell us what to do, but he spent the time trying to figure it out the same as we had. We thought he would just kind of know--but he didn't. So we gave up and figured we will just have to pay the money until we get FIOS access (supposedly that will be coming at some point) and can figure something else out with that. No we don't have RCN--we are in a tiny coop --and would RCN be just as good and also cheaper? We need good service because my husband works at home. For us it's not just about saving money--it's a business service as well. So we kind of accepted the price we have to pay to get what we need--and want--ie, HBO and Showtime. Hoping to be able to try FIOS soon!

Offline Marco

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »
I did get offered a $50/month deal from Spectrum for their "standard" internet package. Just internet, and nothing else (which is what I want).
Add on taxes, possible modem rental, etc. and I suppose it would get to about $70/month and some kind of minimum lock-in period of 12 or 24 months.

I'm not sure to what degree RCN service the Heights, but that would be welcome market competition.

Offline Sky23

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 03:51:39 PM »
Verizon came to my building earlier this year and switch over from Spectrum (Formerly TWC). Spectrum had a monopoly on my building and provided slow internet access. The last straw was when I couldn't order HBO right away on my cable box for game of thrones, after a 20 minute wait they told me I would have to wait 24 hours to watch it.

Anyway, try to see if RCN is in your building as they provide a great internet service for a cheap price. Verizon is another alternative.

If you're stuck with spectrum but want a cheaper price just cancel your subscription by saying you're moving away. You will have to return the modem and cable box to a local Spectrum office (there's one in Queens Center Mall). Once there you can set up a new account for yourself with a great price or you can call Spectrum and set up the new account over the phone. If you're living with someone you can put the new account under their name if it makes you feel better.

I know it sound ridiculous but this saved me over a thousand dollars in 10+ years. Don't let these companies push you around charging ridiculous prices.

Offline wallaby

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »
I second trying to switch to RCN. That's what I have, and it's far from perfect, but I am able to pay for internet only and even after fees my bill is under $50/month (I think it's at 47 right now). RCN annoyances: occasionally there are random surcharges and rate increases—never move than $5 so i think they rely on the customer not even noticing, and then you have to decide whether it's worth it to complain. However, in most if not all cases I've gotten rid of the increase by just contacting customer service and telling them that I'll switch otherwise. The internet is occasionally slow but I think this is normal with any service, and I've found that it's generally reliable.

Offline llh

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »
I have TWC Spectrum and absolutely hate it. The problem isn't the speed but the intermittent disconnectivity since it's a shared line for the whole building/hub, compared to FiOS which is dedicated line. We use a Nest cam to monitor our baby and it'd go offline pretty much every 2 hours and that's dangerous. Definitely FiOS all the way.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »