Author Topic: Fresh Baked Bread?  (Read 5725 times)

Offline missmarty

• Council Member
Re: Fresh Baked Bread?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »
We really need the likes of Aubergine or Astor Bake Shop. Then Rest-au-raunt and Parisi Brothers.
Sadly all my old neighborhood.

Do you think Sac's could bring bread from Astoria?
There is an italian bakery on 90th just off Roosevelt headed towards 37th. Very old school.

Offline Jd143

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 09:48:42 PM »
Buzzancas bakery on 90th street between 37th ave and Roosevelt. Great Italian bread.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »
... how I miss Irish batch bread .... I'll look into making some. It can't be that difficult.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »
Found this comment by accident on Yelp. It is a fairly recent post (Sept. 2016) commenting on Associated Supermarket's bakery.

"They bake the BEST croissants in the area! I am shock because it's a supermarket! Beside they cost $0.50 each they are  buttery and crunchy. The best compare to all the bakery around the area."

Associated is on 90th off Roosie just a few steps from the train station.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 10:45:54 PM »
Found this comment by accident on Yelp. It is a fairly recent post (Sept. 2016) commenting on Associated Supermarket's bakery.

"They bake the BEST croissants in the area! I am shock because it's a supermarket! Beside they cost $0.50 each they are  buttery and crunchy. The best compare to all the bakery around the area."

Associated is on 90th off Roosie just a few steps from the train station.

ok, I got this wrong. I think the yelp poster was in an Associated on Roosevelt and 63rd Street.

sorry.

Offline JA

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 01:00:51 PM »
There is an italian bakery on 90th just off Roosevelt headed towards 37th. Very old school.

What is the name of this place?

Also, would anybody be interested in buying homemade loaves? I used to bake several loaves a week but most of it went to waste. Typically I do french baguettes, pretzel rolls, or seeded rye. I also have a sourdough starter that I tap into for special occasions, though my loaves from that are not as consistent.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 05:50:33 PM »
What is the name of this place?
[/quote]

Buzzanca's

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »
Question: Where is the Uruguayan Café??  I have been looking for a tasty croissant

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:36 AM »
Last week I bought some 7 grain bread at the Russian deli near 79th St. They told me it had been baked and delivered the same day (the bakery is in Brooklyn) and it did taste very fresh. There are no preservatives in this particular bread. There were also some Russian dark breads available near the cashier, but when I asked about those, I was told those had been delivered the day before, so I stuck with my original choice of the 7 grain.

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »
Question: Where is the Uruguayan Café??  I have been looking for a tasty croissant
37th Ave between 85th & 86th Street.  Doors open at 7:30 but the croissants come out freshly baked at 7:45.

The V & V Bakery, on Roosevelt and 62nd is closing.  Loved going there for their cranberry muffins, elcairs, napolean and their Irish Soda Bread (it cooks up perfectly for french toast).  The owner said it was the high rents that were closing her up.  Their last day is on Sunday.  A real shame.

Offline Junior Minty

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
I stopped by Buzzanca's on 90th after reading about it here and was reminded of Rose and Joe's in Astoria, but with much less on offer for sale. They had some cookies but limited breads: only a round loaf and longer Italian loaves, both unseeded. I got the round loaf and was disappointed that they did not have a slicing machine. I was really impressed though with its freshness and incredibly tight crumb. It was super tasty and long lasting. It looked as if they did more business selling cheesecakes (and probably flans). I was looking for some multigrain, rye, or darker bread options, but their white bread was really superior to much that I've found.

And as to croissants, I like the ones from the Food Bazzar on 34th and Junction over the other groceries. They seem to be flakier and fresher and more like an actual croissant should be.

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
FYI  I just read that V & V Bakery in Woodside has decided to stay open due to popular demand.
They are reopening today.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »