Author Topic: Sac's Pizza  (Read 30801 times)

Offline MinorIon

• Resident
Re: Sacs coming to JH
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 11:40:19 AM »
the sense of entitlement was strong with the Swim Two Birds team, a whole lot of "don't you know who I am?," combined with a sneering condescension towards establishments that people in other boroughs (and other cities, judging by guidebooks) see as destination restaurants.

Hosanna!

Also: Rico Tinto is insanely good for the money and really does hit a lot of the right notes.

And this pizza place sounds great!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 12:49:50 PM »
rico tinto does an amazing cochinita pibil taco and their shrimp is terrific. i usually stick to the simple stuff, but their specials sound very enticing.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »
Palermo--where do you go for pub food in Woodside? We tried the place that supposedly had the "best burgers" and found it entirely unremarkable. Burgers the same as any diner. I disagree about Bareburger. I enjoy their food and find their atmosphere pretty darn far away from Denny's. And the prices are fine. And no higher than the pubs in Woodside, I would bet.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
Sac's in Astoria is fabulous. At least it was when I had a boyfriend that lived near them and they were our go to pizza joint when I stayed over. I also think Louie's is good too. It will be a toss up. Louie's has seating, so when my spouse and I want to get out of the house, I guess we'll go there. Sac's will be closer to us, so when we want take out, I guess we'll order from there.

What I'm also missing in the neighborhood (aside from an Irish or British style pub) is a couple of restaurants that would work for a relatively inexpensive date night. The SO and I have hit Armondo's and Uncle Peter's, but they both can get pricey quick. Food that doesn't break the bank, with wine and beer available, in an atmosphere that allows us to gaze at one another romantically (or, since we're an old married couple now, doesn't have a TV distracting us when we're trying to have a date!)

Offline jasonic

• Citizen
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »
I too have lived here for about 5 years and am surprised there isn't a bistro type place you can sit down for a decent beer, burger or salad. There's 10 places per block in park slope and now Astoria. Had friends in town and had to work late so we met in Astoria for a later drink with decent atmosphere, kinda sad we couldn't just do that here in JH. The scorpion? No. Ready penny? Think not.

I looked into opening a place on 37th next to GNC (been empty since I moved here) and they want over 7000 month. Seems steep to me as a few friend and I opened a coffee shop in bed stuy and it's half that for rent for same space. Now a salon is opening next door (yes another one!!) and the sari place expanded to 2 storefronts. As for preferential treatment, do you really think they're selling at a minimum $14000 worth of saris a month to stay open? Or are they getting a deal? Not trying to be coy, just curious why we have so many salons and pharmacies and 99 cent stores still while it seems restaurants are having a hard time to open (besides fighting with the local community board)

Can't wait for Sac's, pizza is my favorite meal!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »
couple points:

i do indeed believe the clothing store in question does tens of thousands of business on a monthly basis. i've purchased items there, and whenever i've been in there, there have been plenty of customers -- and i've seen a couple of wedding party transactions that went into the thousands.

as far as preferential treatment? i don't believe the building owners are south asian and i don't believe Ricky's, H & R Block or GNC (which is paying $9,000 per month) are south asian owned.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
I do believe what some are bemoaning is the fact that it doesn't make sense that Jackson Heights, particularly within the historic district, is not attracting the more aesthetically pleasing restaurants that other areas have.  An influx of these establishments along 37th Avenue and 82nd Street would transform our neighborhood into one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the boroughs.  We have so much potential, but it is not being realized.  Cute little places with outdoor seating have sprung up all over the place in other neighborhoods, but do not exist here at all.  These types of establishments bring an element of beauty, life and safety (with people being out in the evening) that improves the quality of life and increases property values.  Our garden co-ops, tree-lined streets and landscaping make for a neighborhood that is far more aesthetically pleasing than Astoria, Sunnyside and even many neighborhoods in Brooklyn, yet we are sorely lacking this one amenity. It just doesn't make sense.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2016, 08:22:58 PM »
And here's the big question--and I'm dying to get an answer for anyone who might know. HOW do so many local establishments--and we can all name several I'm sure--exist month to month in our high rent neighborhood with seemingly NO customers. I mean, ZERO in some cases. How (and one might say WHY) do they survive? Please someone, weigh in.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »
Hum and Cultarist--exactly, and exactly. Two big, extremely puzzling questions. As to why no cute little cafes and restaurants (except of course for E77, which I love) I keep hearing things like, "We don't have the kind of population to support those kinds of places here," which is absurd. Of course we do, and more and more every day. I see all sorts of people in E77--all nationalities, young, old, different languages, etc. It appeals to a huge part of the population in JH. Just Made 4 You seems always busy, as well--too bad they don't have more of a restaurant atmosphere because I think their food is very decent and a good value. We order from them a lot. I just don't get it. I know the rents are high, but there are so many businesses here that as Cultarist said, don't seem to have many customers yet they seem to survive. Or...there is something fishy going on.

Offline Minimal4me

• Council Member
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 06:52:18 AM »

...they have limited seating, no wine/beer, and early hours. Their food is very good, but they are a breakfast and lunch place primarily, and that's not when I most often go out. I once stopped by there to pick up a salad for dinner on my way home, and the wait for the food was insanely long. There were few people around, it was close to closing time, and they couldn't throw together a salad without making me wait for at least 30 minutes. I gave up on the idea of getting dinner to go from them, since I could not actually sit down and have dinner there after coming home at 8-9 PM, which is pretty frequent for me. It's frustrating because the food is really good. I am looking for an option that meets my needs for someplace where I simple, decent dinner can be had at a later hour.

Though I've heard good things on this forum about the food, when I look in the window this place is just not inviting to me for a sit down meal.

Offline puri

• Citizen
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
I am not exactly sure about what you all are complaining about. No neighborhood has everything. I will tell you what Sunnyside doesn't have: good Thai food. How about Astoria? Good Chinese. (To be fair, Jackson Heights doesn't have decent Chinese food either but a walk to Elmhurst is not too bad.)

A more appropriate tone should be this neighborhood doesn't have places that cater MY needs but it may be fine for most or the current majority. Personally, I am glad that there's no wine bars on the 37th avenue. Anytime I walk past one in the village, I just wish it's a Sichuan restaurant instead.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
I know, Puri.  You're right.  Not every neighborhood can have everything.  Nor should it.  (Parenthetically--one thing we DO have that we didn't have before: a great restaurant with outdoor seating--I dropped by the newly expanded brick-and-mortar Arepa Lady and it's a delight and, of course, delicious--you all gotta check it out).  While I wouldn't mind a bistro or burger joint, I'm actually MORE concerned that the incomparable Terraza 7 may soon go out of business because of, yes, higher rents.  And there is nothing like Terraza 7 here or in any other neighborhood that I've seen.  So, it's not just a matter of lamenting the elusive wine bars and Irish pubs but just a matter, once again, of WHY are great places shut down or prevented from opening while others survive with no customers. 

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
I agree with Cultarist that this is an excellent question--why places with no clientele seem to survive, while unique places like Terrazza 7 go out of business or are prevented from opening by endless red tape and hassles from the city, I also don't get the sniffy tone regarding people stating their preferences as to which sorts of eating establishments they would like to see here. Saying "no neighborhood has everything" is beside the point, when people in THIS neighborhood are clamoring for a bigger, less crowded gym, more restaurant variety, etc, in the midst of a large number of empty storefronts and even the so far totally empty Bruson Building.

Why am I not allowed to state what I want to see here, while Puri takes a sort of haughty tone implying that my preferences are somehow suspect and not as--what--maybe politically correct as his or hers?

I actually think Saw Shack is "decent" Chinese right here in JH. I really am sort of offended by Puri's wording: "A more appropriate tone should be that this neighborhood doesn't have places that cater to MY needs but it may be fine for most or the current majority." What put you in charge of what is "appropriate" for me to say or what tone I "should" take? And how do you know what the "current majority" wants and needs? Really condescending, Puri. I think it's actually your tone that is not appropriate.

There are many people who would agree with me. I don't see how my stating my desires interferes with your opinions or desires and deserves a putdown from you. Thanks for the recommendation of The Arepa Lady, Cultarist. I've heard of it but never been there. Will check it out. But again these blanket statements like, "No neighborhood can have everything. Nor should it." are nonsensical to me. Why shouldn't it? And why shouldn't individuals ask for services and businesses that they want to see in their neighborhood? Why is everyone always so judgmental? 

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »
I looked into opening a place on 37th next to GNC (been empty since I moved here) and they want over 7000 month.

That new restaurant Mejbaan... Do you think they are paying $7,000?

I agree it would be nice if a restaurant like The Smith (3 locations on east side) opened up in the neighborhood. BUT, the number one thing to me about our neighborhood is the amazing restaurants. I love the south asian and south american food but it would be nice to have an american-style place to bring visitors.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2016, 08:40:26 AM »
I've seen demographic figures reported that JH is comprised of 50+% Latinos, and 60% of residents are foreign born. Probably a combination of high rent and a large demographic makes it tough for entrepreneurs to see risking a business failure by not catering to the biggest majority in the neighborhood. Restaurants have a very high failure rate as it is. From a business perspective I get it, but personally it's frustrating.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2016, 08:40:26 AM »