Author Topic: Sac's Pizza  (Read 30802 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Sac's Pizza
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2019, 12:28:01 PM »
the most popular - and best - pizzerias in new york have zero ambience. Tottono, DiFara, to name two.

Those places have an old New York ambiance. Authentic retro. Which is definitely an ambiance. Like Eisenbergs on 5th Ave (Flatiron) and B&H Dairy on 2nd Ave. Great ambiances.

If a newer pizza joint has no ambiance, they should charge $1 a slice pizza. Like in Midtown.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Grimaldi's is not fancy, but most definitely has an ambience and a "feel" to it.  I actually preferred their older space that was a little grungier.  Sure, the B Side is a little nicer and their pizzas a little fancier......but, I would not call them an acquired taste.  They are simply delicious. 

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »
I agree! I think I've said it before, now more than ever, it's easy for restaurants to create ambience with nice touches and finishes for much less. All it takes is some design savvy and research. Almost everything besides QB, Addictive, and newcomers Cafe Colombia and Parva look like a darn cafeteria. Shoot even Table Wine and Standalone have ambience!!!

Off topic, but how darn hard would it be for Sacs, Angel, Bamboo house to invest a little bit in making the place inviting, "chic," and an aesthetic step above flourescent lights and fake brick. COME ON GUYS!

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2019, 01:29:26 PM »
I agree! I think I've said it before, now more than ever, it's easy for restaurants to create ambience with nice touches and finishes for much less. All it takes is some design savvy and research. Almost everything besides QB, Addictive, and newcomers Cafe Colombia and Parva look like a darn cafeteria. Shoot even Table Wine and Standalone have ambience!!!

Off topic, but how darn hard would it be for Sacs, Angel, Bamboo house to invest a little bit in making the place inviting, "chic," and an aesthetic step above flourescent lights and fake brick. COME ON GUYS!

Agree. Often the design of kitchens and apartments of folks I have visited in this neighborhood are way more appealing than the look of various restaurants. People have put much thought into the aesthetic ("ambiance") of their kitchens/apartments. And that means alot.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #169 on: October 30, 2019, 10:06:13 PM »
Looks like they've closed their original location as well, and are getting a fresh start at Kaufmann Astoria Studios:

Sac’s Place Celebrates Grand Opening at Kaufman Studios

Offline kmjh

• Resident
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2019, 01:41:03 AM »
I care more about how a pizza tastes.

Ambience is not edible.

It's a shame Sac's is gone. It was a go-to for thin crust for me around here.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
I care more about how a pizza tastes.

Ambience is not edible.

It's a shame Sac's is gone. It was a go-to for thin crust for me around here.

Yes, but if a venue can nail great ambiance PLUS excellent pizza....then it's a winner on all counts for EVERYONE.
And improves its chance of success.

Offline ZzzzzZzzzzz

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2015
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2019, 12:24:24 PM »
Still disappointed about this.  Had they had been on Northern I wonder if it would have worked out because I know those rents are much cheaper.  If delivery is a pizza place's main income source, then being on the main drag of the neighborhood shouldn't matter as much.   

Can anyone recommend a serious contender for a back up to Sac's?  Fresh ingredients.  No canned mushrooms. Etc.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
Louie's has the best Sicilian around, but Sac's was by far the best Neapolitan (and the cherry peppers were the best topping). we got delivery from them last night, and the gentleman who answered the phone seemed pretty touched by the outpouring of affection the place has been getting. and yes, the pie was as good as ever.

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »
Ambience doesn't matter much to me. DiFara's looks just like any other pizza place in Brooklyn. It just happens to have the best pizza in the city.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
Also sorry to see it go, had been by go to for ordering pizza--had its ups and downs, but most of the time good...and last weekend delivered the perfect pie with mushrooms--will have to place one more order before closing.  Why is getting a good pizza, a good bagel, and other staples of New York have to be do difficult in Jackson Heights.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »
Why is getting a good pizza, a good bagel, and other staples of New York have to be do difficult in Jackson Heights.

No kidding! My department had a bagel contest last week - everyone brought in 6 bagels from the top bagel place in their neighborhood and we had a blind taste test. I provided the cream cheese since our options are so mediocre.

In case anyone is curious, Old Brooklyn Bagel Shoppe was the winner (last year as well; it's an annual contest). 

Edited to add: I will miss Sac's - they were my favorite in the area.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »
a good bagel place would be wonderful. the bagels served at E77 are pretty good, but $3 for a plain bagel is a little steep. and JuJu's has really nice spreads and very good food, but the par-baked "bagels" aren't even as good as supermarket ones.

that said, Foodtown sells Bell's Bialys (in the refrigerator case next to the deli) and those are wonderful.

Offline ClydeM

• Citizen
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »
I stopped by this evening to get a couple of slices and they had a sign outside stating that tomorrow would be their last day. This is a shame because I really liked their pizza, but it isn't entirely surprising to me. The cracked out stoner kid was constantly bad mouthing the neighborhood and the employees to anyone (mostly white people) who would listen and that pissed off some people. A friend of mine stopped going there because the kid would let loose a string of F-Bombs in front of his six year old daughter. Plus he started letting his dealer friends hang out there and that frighted some people away (see the thread that mentions the red scooter guy). The kid is an idiot and the owner (Dom?) never should have left him in charge. Still, I continued to go there several times a week because they made great pizza. Now I'll need to travel out of the neighborhood again for good pizza.

I suppose the two upsides are that I will lose some weight and perhaps the the dealers on 37th will find someplace else to go. I do, however, wish that the owner as able to stay at this location to keep things running straight. He is a nice guy, and I wish him the best, but he should get rid of that kid who was probably bad for the business in general.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »
the most popular - and best - pizzerias in new york have zero ambience. Tottono, DiFara, to name two.

Grimaldi's is great. can't be duplicated here because those ovens are now banned. and people go their for the pizza, not the decor. B Side? not my thing, but a doppelganger could do well here -- as long as fans of the gourmet/non-traditional stuff are willing to visit frequently (i like pies like those, but they're an acquired taste).

Something like Tufino or Milkflower in Astoria would be fantastic. Something with a real wood fired oven, not this fake "brick oven" facade nonsense.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »