Author Topic: Sac's Pizza  (Read 30796 times)

Offline ljr

• Council Member
Re: Sacs coming to JH
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:45 PM »
Dssjh-- have you been following the saga of the 2 people who are trying to get this kind of thing to happen here? Who have in fact poured money into these projects and years later are still being stymied by whatever has been happening to them?

Where is Cassidy's by the way? In this neighborhood? Never heard of it. Is it a bar primarily where, say, a woman alone would not feel comfortable going in for dinner? If so, I don't care if it has a decent burger--it wouldn't be the atmosphere I'm looking for.

The two places you mention are both on Northern, a long walk away and a walk I would not want to do coming home from there late at night. Before the Bruson building fire, we had two good places right on 37th. I really miss that.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
been following since day one. since stew and redge initially proposed a lovely sounding place, then said every other restaurant in the neighborhood served dog food, and anyone who disagreed was not welcome to cross their threshold.

not sure what is going on with the queensboro, since dudley has gone radio silent. hoping for the best there.

if you find northern too far (it is a bit of a walk for me as well), Cassidy's is probably off your list, too. 75th and 31st, right across from Canelle/the mini mall. atmosphere is welcoming, though. Irish pub, not too rowdy, not unpleasant for women, or a single woman.

and i miss those two places right there as well, since i'm about two blocks from the bruson.

Dssjh-- have you been following the saga of the 2 people who are trying to get this kind of thing to happen here? Who have in fact poured money into these projects and years later are still being stymied by whatever has been happening to them?

Where is Cassidy's by the way? In this neighborhood? Never heard of it. Is it a bar primarily where, say, a woman alone would not feel comfortable going in for dinner? If so, I don't care if it has a decent burger--it wouldn't be the atmosphere I'm looking for.

The two places you mention are both on Northern, a long walk away and a walk I would not want to do coming home from there late at night. Before the Bruson building fire, we had two good places right on 37th. I really miss that.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »
It's not politically incorrect to say you hope for more diverse food options near 37th Avenue.

There's definitely some decent options along Northern or farther north - Uncle Peter's, Armondo's, the pub near JH Plaza - that go beyond Nepalese/Indian/South American fare.

I'm equally as frustrated with the limited options. The food we have is good, but it sure would be nice to be able to sit down somewhere with a nice ambiance, beer and wine selections, and get a decent burger.

I think the difference between JH and Sunnyside is density. Sunnyside just isn't as dense a neighborhood, but it does have a sizeable Latino population well served with a number of restaurants. It also has nice Italian, French Bistros, a Gastropub, Wine Bar, Irish Bars, etc. Perhaps the issue in JH is that the population density and demographics makes it appear too big a risk to try anything that doesn't cater to the large South America and South Asian populations?

Whatever the reason is, I think the answer is to be sure to patronize those businesses that do open up that serve what you want, so there is a track record of success catering to other tastes.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 05:53:59 PM »
Dssjh--we are probably neighbors, sounds to me like we live close by one another. Yeah, I would not walk to Cannelle either, but I'd drive or take a car service over there. I like Irish pubs well enough, and would likely patronize Cassidy's a lot if it were near my apartment.  Nice to know about it. I used to like Armondo's when it was in the Bruson Building. It was close to home, homey and old fashioned, and I liked the fish dishes and homemade ravioli. I am sorry to say that in its new digs, I am liking it less. Prices seem higher and the two times we went there, I didn't like what I ordered. Menu has changed. Room is smaller, noisier and less comfortable, to me. I'm glad it's there, but the truth is, I am not likely to walk over there for higher prices and food that I don't like very much. Honestly, I'd be thrilled to have even a Panera in the Bruson Building. Their food is pretty good, a step up from fast food, and the location in Astoria, at least, is roomy and comfortable. We've been going a bit to a Filipino place in Woodside around 165th, not far from SriPaPhai, House of Inasal, that is inexpensive but comfortable, in a not fancy but not awful-looking setting (no fluorescent lights and no Coke machine), wine and beer available, food very good. We also like Thakali Kitchen but not always in the mood for that cuisine. Like Kitchen 79 but not always in the mood for Thai either. Just want a more basic option that is a pleasant dining experience, beer and wine, offering burgers, chicken, pasta, salads, etc. Don't see why we can't have a place like that in JH in the more central area--37th Ave or even 82nd St. My dream: a Bareburger! I emailed the guy who started that chain, who is from Astoria. He said he does plan on coming to JH, but cannot say when that might happen.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
Maybe try Cuckoo's Nest. It's not THAT close, but it's not that far. The food is excellent and might be more what you are looking for.

Offline emliv85

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
ljr - I couldn't agree with you more. While I do love the varied local cuisines, I find I mostly order it in. It's very frustrating to have to leave my immediate neighborhood to find anything else I might crave, including Bareburger or other basic options with welcoming atmospheres, or neighborhood bars that are young, single-woman-friendly.

And another Wendy's is opening!? I'm so annoyed about that for so many reasons.

I don't even eat out all that often, but when I do I want GREAT food with an aesthetically pleasing, TV-less environment. I was so looking forward to Swim Two Birds and it's been so disheartening to witness their decline and seemingly lack of progress. I agree with the notion that we need to patronize and support the local business that we want to succeed and stay, but how do we convince them to open up here in the first place?

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 11:18:57 AM »
, but how do we convince them to open up here in the first place?

Stop protectionist rent practices that seem particularly prevalent in this neighborhood - publicly shame those who perform such practices.

Have CB3/dept of buildings/the city treat all businesses fairly, not just ones that appear to "know people". If necessary, fire,replace and/or criminally prosecute members of these organizations for corruption.

Make it so that small businesses can open quickly and fairly and not just leave the fastlane for either megachains/franchise with muscles, or people with family/ethnic group "in's".

Make the SBJSA law so that existing small businesses have stability and aren't rent gouged out of existence, turning NYC into a giant mall.
http://takebacknyc.nyc/sbjsa/

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
criminally prosecuting people for doing friends, or friends of friends a favor?

are you suggesting all private property become government controlled?

should someone who owns a two family house be forced to charge prevailing market rates if renting the second unit to their child or parent?

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »
Is it just me or is this thread kind of negative for such positive news?

I'm going to focus on the positive. We are getting a pizza place that serves one of the best slices of pizza in the entire country. There could be a whole host of reasons - some of which could be out of their control, like lack of an available space - why it's not a sit-down restaurant, but that's what the owners decided and we should respect that. I also think people are underestimating how difficult it is to open and operate a successful restaurant in the first place.

The neighborhood will eventually gentrify and we will get a Bareburger. But it's just not at that point yet, for a number of reasons, and it will take place much slower than other NYC neighborhoods. I also tend to see that as a positive though. I'm not in a rush to become the next Astoria or Forest Hills.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »
criminally prosecute members of these organizations for corruption =/= prosecute people for doing a favor to friends and family

I'm not sure how the layperson can do any of the actions listed above (I am not in law enforcement or a prosecutor, so I can't criminally prosecute anyone or do anything to advance a prosecution).

It seems like ideas on what the community can *actually* do to advance the cause of small businesses being able to open in our neighborhood without undue delays or a hassle are welcome by some members of this forum.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »
Firstly,I should be clear that  I was only suggesting prosecution towards employees  of the *state* that show illegal bias towards some potential business owners over others.

With regard to other comments:

criminally prosecuting people for doing friends, or friends of friends a favor?

No, but a public facing business is not the same as doing  "friends of friends a favor" in the context you imply.  Unfair Discrimination is easy to hide in these kinds of arrangements.

are you suggesting all private property become government controlled?
No. Please show where I suggested that.

should someone who owns a two family house be forced to charge prevailing market rates if renting the second unit to their child or parent?

No, and there are specific laws allowing this kind of things for immediate kin. Again, a house - and primary residence -  is not a public facing business. However, If I own a business, say 20 apartments, advertise them publicly, but only rent to X ethnic group, the state has a right to tell me that I can't do that with my property!

Remember "private property" in the case of a  business is enmeshed deeply within a system that provides the business owner stability, infrastructure, legal mechanisms for dispute resolution, security, mechanisms for commerce etc etc etc.  We call this "society" ......and the price of living in society is that unlimited utilization of private-property in a dense urban  resource-limited place like NYC has to be balanced against the public good.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again--Rico Tinto is as close as the neighborhood comes to the kind of place several of you are suggesting. Not only great Mexican and Columbian cuisine but also very tasty and healthy veggie and salad options as well as a mighty good burger. And, another neighborhood rarity, creative and attractive presentation and generally good music. I'm still anxiously awaiting the Queensboro and Swim 2 Birds but in the meantime, a local gem which should be encouraged.  If only they had later hours and a liquor license.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 10:59:35 PM »
Lalochezia--what you are saying is what I was suggesting. Is there a reason that some businesses seem to have smoother sailing in JH than others? Is there some sort of discrimination going on? Or preferential treatment according to who knows who and possibly relating to ethnicity?  It kind of looks that way to me.

Cultarist--I agree with the positive comments about Rico Tinto. But--and this is a big but--they have limited seating, no wine/beer, and early hours. Their food is very good, but they are a breakfast and lunch place primarily, and that's not when I most often go out. I once stopped by there to pick up a salad for dinner on my way home, and the wait for the food was insanely long. There were few people around, it was close to closing time, and they couldn't throw together a salad without making me wait for at least 30 minutes. I gave up on the idea of getting dinner to go from them, since I could not actually sit down and have dinner there after coming home at 8-9 PM, which is pretty frequent for me. It's frustrating because the food is really good. I am looking for an option that meets my needs for someplace where I simple, decent dinner can be had at a later hour.

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »
Good luck to Sac's, but IMO Louie's is the best in the hood.

When we want pub-like food, we goto Brooklyn, Woodside or Astoria.  Should a Bareburger move in, we'd still do the same.  Expensive, mediocre food served in an atmosphere that is halfway between a tavern and a Denny's.

Lalochezia, I'm not saying I disagree at all, but can you provide some specific examples?  Are these practices something you know as a fact going on around here, or is it more of a "seems to" type of thing?

Ljr, I'd like to ask the same.  Which ethnicity is getting a leg up?  The businesses which you desire (which I do as well) cater more so to white folk and would often be run by them.  Are you suggesting that businesses run by white folk which cater to white folk are being held back due to illegal, discriminatory practices?

Is there a possibility that the very high commercial rents along with the relatively small amount of commercial space in a very densely populated neighborhood could contribute to most businesses primarily catering to the predominant populations who live here?

Everytime I see a post on Swim 2 Birds, I'm less likely to go.  Just because the owner kvetched like Job on social media doesn't mean other owners don't go through the same issues.  How long did Barrils take to open?  Bachue was empty forever (and it still seems so!).  Oceanic Boil took ages to open.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 10:51:33 AM »
the sense of entitlement was strong with the Swim Two Birds team, a whole lot of "don't you know who I am?," combined with a sneering condescension towards establishments that people in other boroughs (and other cities, judging by guidebooks) see as destination restaurants.

i have friends who spent 16 months opening their new bar/restaurant in Brooklyn. they own another place that took less time, but it's a crap shoot for a lot of reasons. and i don't think that city officials have a racial/ethnic agenda in keeping Jackson Heights bistro-free.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2016, 10:51:33 AM »