Author Topic: Instant newsstand dropped in front of Food Town supermarket  (Read 6595 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Instant newsstand dropped in front of Food Town supermarket
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »
it's my corner, and i don't like it -- i patronize two newsstands that both exist within a block or two....and there's another one of these at 74th. they're ugly, charmless, they block traffic and they're NOT newsstands. anyone who grew up in, or has lived any length of time in new york city knows what a newsstand is.

but vandalizing the things? well, just vandalize your neighbor's house if you don't like what he or she does. or put a flaming bag of poop outside the door of the guy upstairs if he's too loud. let's not sink to that level, okay?

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »
Update on the newsstand NYC dropped onto a crowded 37th Avenue to compete with existing stores. If the city MUST allow this installation, perhaps it's time to change the law.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160629/jackson-heights/controversial-new-37th-ave-newsstand-vandalized-week-after-installation

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 11:01:04 AM »
Update on the newsstand NYC dropped onto a crowded 37th Avenue to compete with existing stores. If the city MUST allow this installation, perhaps it's time to change the law.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160629/jackson-heights/controversial-new-37th-ave-newsstand-vandalized-week-after-installation

I read that too and my first thought was would they put the newsstand on Park Avenue or some similar address if the applicant requested?  I can't believe the city has no choice.

Offline lmaniace

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
I agree Queens Kid; that looks like just a stock answer by Consumer Affairs.

I contacted Councilman Dromm's office and this is the best email address to express your opposition:
Please write (politely) to Sharon Stanley, his Deputy Chief of Staff at Sstanley@council.nyc.gov.
Remember, complaining on social media is not taking action.

Also, JHBG is run by VOLUNTEERS... as in unpaid. Like you, most of us are busy and work. If you appreciate what we do for JH, it would be a big help if you could go to our webpage  - http://www.jhbg.org/donate - scroll down and become a member for the ridiculously low cost of $25. You will get our quarterly print newsletter sent to you, as well as our monthly electronic.

Thank you.

Len

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
Ok... this structure appears to be a permanent abandoned booth taking up valuable sidewalk space.

I say either it opens up as a newsagent or momo joint or whatever...

Or it gets removed.

But an abandoned booth in the middle of 37th Ave's sidewalk...which is the case now... is not the correct option.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
i spoke to the proprietors on Sunday, as they were putting shelving in on the inside. from what i gather, they were trying to obtain a Lotto license and put a few other things in place before opening. they've been paying their rent while waiting for government agencies to get things together -- a common theme on this board, it seems.

Ok... this structure appears to be a permanent abandoned booth taking up valuable sidewalk space.

I say either it opens up as a newsagent or momo joint or whatever...

Or it gets removed.

But an abandoned booth in the middle of 37th Ave's sidewalk...which is the case now... is not the correct option.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »
 Another abomination that we seem to have no say in on 37th Ave. How does this go on here when as was noted streets
like Park Avenue remain clean and easy to navigate? Electeds, please help!

Offline jackinjh

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »
Anyone know what is the status on this. Recently saw people testing out the fridge.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
slow progress. we've heard it from business owners on the board again and again.

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 07:46:27 PM »
The newsstand in front of Food Town is gone. Not sure when it was removed, but the sidewalk has been repaved.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
very recently. it was there over the weekend. this is a positive step.

Offline stevn

• Citizen
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 08:55:13 PM »
Happened this morning.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 06:58:22 PM »
The newsstand in front of Food Town is gone. Not sure when it was removed, but the sidewalk has been repaved.

Farewell, newsstand! Gone but not forgotten (yet).

Offline buzz

• Activist
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »
The reason the kiosk was built was to stop the halah carts.  Let's see how long before one is set up.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »