Author Topic: Washington Plaza  (Read 134506 times)

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
Re: Washington Plaza
« Reply #585 on: July 18, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand, going to try to bring us back on point here. Hahaha.

I met with the sponsor, when visiting the unit's progress (we have a close date by the way), and brought this up. Obviously, I don't have any way to prove or disprove what she told me, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. That being said, she told me it was not actually a tree. It was an extremely large bush that had grown larger than anyone had anticipated. It also wasn't an owner who asked for it to be cut down. It was a renter, who had, for a long time, asked for it to be cut down. The straw that broke the camel's back was the day a pigeon flew into his house from the bush-tree, clearly in an attempt to become his roommate. Haha. So, while it, in fact, blocked people's views into the courtyard — which they already knew — it was the culmination of this resident having an unwelcome visitor fly into their home, that made them take action. And apparently the super was not a fan of it either.

So, take it for what it's worth. But it seems like the story isn't quite as clear-cut as one of the new owners coming in trying to call the shots.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #586 on: July 19, 2017, 12:39:51 AM »
Lol, a pigeon flew into his apt from a bush tree?  I think the super didn't want to be bothered with said "bush tree" for whatever reason.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #587 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
People have been asking for that bush/tree to be drastically pruned or cut down for years.  And it's people who rent, not new owners. The tree brushed up against the windows of a few of the corner 2-bedrooms in C and D. There are only a few of those apartments that are going to be sold (most of the tenants chose to remain renters) and the ones that are going to be sold haven't even been renovated yet, so there's no mysterious new owner with nefarious tree-hating tendencies causing problems.  I'm glad it's gone - I didn't like it.

There's a pigeon who hangs out on my a/c and I think he's trying to move in as well.  I'd be up for it if he could be housebroken!

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #588 on: July 19, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »
I lived next door to a house on a corner lot that had a lovely and healthy Magnolia tree in the front yard. The house was sold and the new owners poured concrete over most of the garden along the side of the house, over which they added a wooden deck, and were considering cutting down the tree because it was "dirty." Thankfully another neighbor talked them out of it. Some folks just don't appreciate trees that make any kind of mess. I guess they are good with pine trees?

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #589 on: July 24, 2017, 01:45:45 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaand, going to try to bring us back on point here. Hahaha.

I met with the sponsor, when visiting the unit's progress (we have a close date by the way), and brought this up. Obviously, I don't have any way to prove or disprove what she told me, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. That being said, she told me it was not actually a tree. It was an extremely large bush that had grown larger than anyone had anticipated. It also wasn't an owner who asked for it to be cut down. It was a renter, who had, for a long time, asked for it to be cut down. The straw that broke the camel's back was the day a pigeon flew into his house from the bush-tree, clearly in an attempt to become his roommate. Haha. So, while it, in fact, blocked people's views into the courtyard — which they already knew — it was the culmination of this resident having an unwelcome visitor fly into their home, that made them take action. And apparently the super was not a fan of it either.

So, take it for what it's worth. But it seems like the story isn't quite as clear-cut as one of the new owners coming in trying to call the shots.

Interesting. The "It was really a bush" argument seems laughable to me. This was what looked exactly like a tree, with a tall center trunk and limbs growing off that trunk. It reached to at least the top of the fourth floor. It was an evergreen of some sort. I guess I'll have to educate myself on the difference between bushes and trees now.

And I'm really surprised to hear about the pigeon, because what I heard, from a couple of different people, over the weekend, was that the tree was cut down because SQUIRRELS were getting into people's apartments. They chewed through screens and walked right in. One supposedly started making a nest. I can believe squirrels chewed through people's screens, but I can't believe that cutting down the tree will stop that sort of thing. I don't think it will stop birds from flying in through the windows, either, though keeping the screen closed ought to stop that (unless the pigeon flew in through a massive hole chewed by a squirrel).

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #590 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »
Whether a squirrel or a pigeon, point is people's apartments we're turning into a scene from Pocahontas. Hahaha. Squirrels would be worse, though.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #591 on: July 24, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »
Whether a squirrel or a pigeon, point is people's apartments we're turning into a scene from Pocahontas. Hahaha. Squirrels would be worse, though.

Okay, I know the tree aka four-story bush is gone, and it's pointless to keep debating whether that was the right decision. But I can't help being logical about the pigeons and squirrels. The pigeons will not go away because the tree's gone. NYC pigeons don't depend on trees like other birds do. They roost on buildings. And if a pigeon flew in someone's window, it could have flown in from anywhere. If the residents don't want any more pigeons flying in their windows, I'd advise them to keep their screens closed.

And the cutting down of the tree surely caused squirrels to lose their homes, but they can still get up and down the building. The tree wasn't crucial to their doing that.

I just hope this is the end of it. I like the trees that are left. I'd hate for more of them to be cut down.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #592 on: July 24, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
squirrels crawl up and down buildings? I've never seen such a thing. I've watched them go up and down trees, along fences, climb along wires, etc. to get to buildings. But in I've yet to witness a squirrel climbing up and down brick faced buildings. Guess I need to check out the squirrels down by Washington Plaza.

Online jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #593 on: July 24, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
squirrels crawl up and down buildings? I've never seen such a thing. I've watched them go up and down trees, along fences, climb along wires, etc. to get to buildings. But in I've yet to witness a squirrel climbing up and down brick faced buildings. Guess I need to check out the squirrels down by Washington Plaza.

According to the internet, and who can argue with the internet, squirrels can easily climb brick walls.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/squirrelbrick.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5UnmmCyF8

Bullwinkle can not climb brick walls.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #594 on: July 24, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »

Yes, I've seen them do it, though not at Washington Plaza. But the WP facade has bricks that jut out in a sort of pattern—I imagine that's pretty convenient for squirrels. And also, I didn't mean that they necessarily climb up the brick. There are trees all around the building. All the squirrels need is to go up a tree and jump over to a fire escape, and they can scamper about freely.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #595 on: July 24, 2017, 07:37:25 PM »

According to the internet, and who can argue with the internet, squirrels can easily climb brick walls.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/blog/squirrelbrick.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5UnmmCyF8

Bullwinkle can not climb brick walls.

They can climb stucco, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUxQ9TtjPg

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #596 on: July 25, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »

Those hopping/jumping, gecko-like movements are quite something. Also the sound of the stucco bits falling off the wall was a nice touch.

Online jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #597 on: August 23, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »

Those hopping/jumping, gecko-like movements are quite something. Also the sound of the stucco bits falling off the wall was a nice touch.

Have people been moving into the renovated apartments lately? Has the work stoppage affected people?

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #598 on: August 24, 2017, 06:55:50 AM »

Have people been moving into the renovated apartments lately? Has the work stoppage affected people?
We're closing today!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #599 on: August 24, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #599 on: August 24, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »