Author Topic: Washington Plaza  (Read 128406 times)

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
Re: Washington Plaza
« Reply #555 on: June 13, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »
Halo Everyone,

I am new to the building and I was hoping that the community can share some tips. I have a bicycle that I intend to use a lot, since there are really wide streets and quite a lot of bike lanes around Jackson Heights. My problem is, I don't have anywhere to store it, so it sits in my living room to my eye's enormous discontent.

Any tips about storing your bicycle somewhere about/around the building? I applied for storage, but there are 6 people ahead of me, so I have little confidence of getting some storage space anytime soon....

thanks for any tips in advance!
M.
We're in the same boat, although we haven't moved yet. Word on the street is that the management company is considering accommodating bike storage if there's space/demand. So raise the concern with delta management. We will be.

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #556 on: June 14, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »
Is it just me or is the shower curtain rod extra high? Has anyone had to buy extra long curtains?

Offline Marcin_JH

• Tourist
« Reply #557 on: June 14, 2017, 06:40:49 PM »
So there is definitely storage and plenty of it. The problem is that it is now taken over by the renovations - all of the potential basement storage is taken by supplies and machinery of the developer. They are considering to release some of these rooms as storage to residents soon.

It looks like there is no hope until the storage is free then....
thanks!
M.

Halo Everyone,

I am new to the building and I was hoping that the community can share some tips. I have a bicycle that I intend to use a lot, since there are really wide streets and quite a lot of bike lanes around Jackson Heights. My problem is, I don't have anywhere to store it, so it sits in my living room to my eye's enormous discontent.

Any tips about storing your bicycle somewhere about/around the building? I applied for storage, but there are 6 people ahead of me, so I have little confidence of getting some storage space anytime soon....

M.
We're in the same boat, although we haven't moved yet. Word on the street is that the management company is considering accommodating bike storage if there's space/demand. So raise the concern with delta management. We will be.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #558 on: June 14, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »
So there is definitely storage and plenty of it. The problem is that it is now taken over by the renovations - all of the potential basement storage is taken by supplies and machinery of the developer. They are considering to release some of these rooms as storage to residents soon.

It looks like there is no hope until the storage is free then....
thanks!
M.

Halo Everyone,

M.
That's what I heard as well. So, when things settle down, I suspect bike storage will become more of a possibility.

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #559 on: June 20, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
What's the % of units that have been vacated/sold so far? I assume it's still below 50?

Offline llh

• Resident
« Reply #560 on: June 20, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Yeah I heard ~40%

Offline Marcin_JH

• Tourist
« Reply #561 on: June 21, 2017, 08:50:56 PM »
What's the % of units that have been vacated/sold so far? I assume it's still below 50?

Currently 83 out of 189 units were sold.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #562 on: June 22, 2017, 03:56:40 AM »

Currently 83 out of 189 units were sold.

Who told you this? There were only about 55 empty apartments, so 83 seems very high.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #563 on: June 22, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
83 does seem high but I guess it's not impossible. I know there are more than 55 now that more people have moved out but I don't know the exact figure.  I think there are only two or three available right now - my former apartment is the only one listed as for sale on streeteasy right now. There are two other ones shown as available on the washington plaza site by nu-place (wplazanyc.com).  V

I found out that they will definitely have carpet in the renovated hallways - I was hoping that was temporary.

noob, the shower bar is pretty high but I guess they had to do it that way because it's easier than drilling it into the tile. Mine has fallen a bunch of times.  Now that I think about it, it was the same height before renovations as well. I bought a normal shower curtain and it's fine (72x72). 

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #564 on: June 23, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
Streeteasy lists around 63 apts sold and 19 listed for sale (all in contract), but I think it's not the complete picture as, for example, the apt I just closed on is not listed, so it's not a crazy stretch.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #565 on: June 24, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
Streeteasy lists around 63 apts sold and 19 listed for sale (all in contract), but I think it's not the complete picture as, for example, the apt I just closed on is not listed, so it's not a crazy stretch.

The active listing on Street easy for active listings duplicates the apartments listed in the list of Past Sales. I did not check the whole list for duplicates. It is more like 63 sold, which makes more sense.

Someone could call the management office. I do not see why it would be a secret.

Offline Marcin_JH

• Tourist
« Reply #566 on: July 02, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
 83 was the number listed on the closing papers when i closed last month, so I should think that is correct. another 8 are in contract.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #567 on: July 03, 2017, 12:09:48 PM »
So, someone didn't like the tree in the courtyard outside the C and D buildings. I woke up to the sound of a chainsaw cutting it to pieces. It was a perfectly healthy tree—I could see the exposed, cut, healthy trunk from above, and the two workers doing the chainsawing confirmed that for me. They said someone who lives in one of the apartments facing the tree complained about it. (Actually, I don't know if it was just one apartment. Maybe there are multiple tree haters.)

I'm guessing it was a new owner. No tenant here has the power to demand that management cut down a tree.

I have a feeling I'll be attacked for griping about this tree being cut down. But it was a healthy tree and was nice to look out at from my windows. And squirrels and birds lived in it. It was an integral part of the leafy oasis that is Washington Plaza. Kind of like the fountains someone here complained about.

If any of you posting here have info that there was a good reason it was cut down,* please fill me in.

* "Someone didn't like how the tree blocked sun from their apartment" doesn't count.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #568 on: July 03, 2017, 12:24:35 PM »
Hi guys,

My wife & I are planning to put an offer in for this complex. We're expecting our 1st baby and also new to the neighborhood so we're just wondering how the complex is in general for young couple? Our last complex had a pretty bad management company. How about this one?

Also are they generally on time for closing/renovation? (was wondering if we'll be able to close before due date)

Thank you so much!

LH

Washington Plaza is a very nice building. As you can see, it is set up as smaller buildings inside. They are only connected in the basement. Since there are so few apartments on each floor, especially in the A, B, E and F buildings, the quality of life depends on who your neighbors are. My floor is quiet and peaceful.

What do you mean how is it for young couples? We don't have bikini pool parties.

LOL. Well, we do have those fountains. No duck anymore, though.  :'(

Before the building went co-op it was nicely maintained. Since the renovations started the building has been a noisy, filthy, dusty, mess. They clean often but the job is overwhelming. The renovations may continue for years.

Yes. They will. And that means not just a dusty mess in the hallways, but the possibility of the apartment above, below, or next to you undergoing extensive demolition and rebuilding and all the noise and shaking that accompanies that. Plus workers blasting their music while they do it. So while it may be too late for llh and his wife and their baby, anyone considering moving here should seriously consider choosing an apartment that's surrounded by either already renovated coops or tenants who are firmly in place —that is, who can afford their rent and are not in danger of being forced out by a sudden rent hike. (Hey, you could even knock on their doors and ask them if they are friendly to young couples!)

The new halls, as you can see in the test version in Building C, I think 4th floor, are, in my opinion, cheap and tasteless.

Fifth floor, and I totally agree.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #569 on: July 03, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »
So, someone didn't like the tree in the courtyard outside the C and D buildings. I woke up to the sound of a chainsaw cutting it to pieces. It was a perfectly healthy tree—I could see the exposed, cut, healthy trunk from above, and the two workers doing the chainsawing confirmed that for me. They said someone who lives in one of the apartments facing the tree complained about it. (Actually, I don't know if it was just one apartment. Maybe there are multiple tree haters.)

I'm guessing it was a new owner. No tenant here has the power to demand that management cut down a tree.

I have a feeling I'll be attacked for griping about this tree being cut down. But it was a healthy tree and was nice to look out at from my windows. And squirrels and birds lived in it. It was an integral part of the leafy oasis that is Washington Plaza. Kind of like the fountains someone here complained about.

If any of you posting here have info that there was a good reason it was cut down,* please fill me in.

* "Someone didn't like how the tree blocked sun from their apartment" doesn't count.

That is very odd. They couldn't just trim it?

When I lived in San Francisco there was a (un PC alert) predominant ethnic group who would cut down every tree and bush on their property when they would buy a house. They would say, "It is cleaner."

If they are going to respond to every new owner this way, this will be an interesting building to live in.

I have already read someone say he/she do not like the cascading pool.  :)

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #569 on: July 03, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »