Author Topic: Washington Plaza  (Read 133649 times)

Offline indesign

• Tourist
Re: Washington Plaza
« Reply #495 on: May 03, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »
We just did our initial walkthrough this week and will close May 31st. We bought what was the construction office so when we saw it it was already renovated. It was full of boxes of supplies though. We had also seen the complex twice for different units in the middle of winter after snowstorms. It was dirty snow covered and gloomy but we decide to place an offer on the second unit we saw. When we walked into the complex this week it was green and beautiful with full bloom landscaping.  To be honest we were afraid we'd walk in to the unit and ask "what did we do". Instead we thought how beautiful. It was bright with natural light and beyond what we remembered in terms of details and finish. We'll move in the end of June. I hope everyone feels the happiness we did about seeing the final product.

I was told the gym may or may not be done by the end of the year. Sorry I can't be more vaugue.

Offline newjhuser

• Citizen
« Reply #496 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »
did you inquire about hallways and lobby?

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #497 on: May 07, 2017, 03:37:22 AM »
i think 3 or 4 apartments took the buy out. they posted a notice. still waiting on gym and renovated hallways and lobbies.................
I heard the final count was 8. The buyout offers were so low, I imagine that the ones who took it were already wanting to get out. Probably includes a few whose preferential rent suddenly shot up to the full legal stabilized amount and were going to have to leave anyway.

Offline newjhuser

• Citizen
« Reply #498 on: May 07, 2017, 08:54:52 AM »
They might offer another one. The margins on converting an apartment for sale is pretty high

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #499 on: May 07, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
They might offer another one. The margins on converting an apartment for sale is pretty high

What do you mean? The cost of renovating the apartment? If that's it, yeah, I realize that. But they are also getting huge profits in return. The $20K-$40K the sponsor offered (average payout $28K, with most between $25K and $35K) is measly compared to what they will make on the apartments, even factoring in the renovation costs. But the real issue is whether that figure would make it worth it to the renters to move. If the tenant wasn't already looking to leave, probably not. These are nice apartments and convenient to Manhattan and they'd need more than $35K to find anything comparable.

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #500 on: May 08, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
The one renovated hallway looks good. Hopefully the rest of the floors get done soon. I wish they'd get rid of the pond or redo it. It doesn't add much to the aesthetics of the place. I'd prefer more usable common area.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #501 on: May 08, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
The one renovated hallway looks good. Hopefully the rest of the floors get done soon. I wish they'd get rid of the pond or redo it. It doesn't add much to the aesthetics of the place. I'd prefer more usable common area.
Would you mind sharing some photos of the finished hallway. Would love to know what to eventually expect.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #502 on: May 08, 2017, 11:17:12 PM »

In which building is the renovated hall?

Maybe they could take out the pool and put in a volleyball court.

Offline newjhuser

• Citizen
« Reply #503 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
I'm guessing it's the C building

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #504 on: May 10, 2017, 06:01:30 AM »

N00b: Doesn't add much to the aesthetics? Seriously? What would you rather have there?

jh35: It's on the fifth floor in building C.

I hope you're kidding about the volleyball court.  :D

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #505 on: May 10, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »

N00b: Doesn't add much to the aesthetics? Seriously? What would you rather have there?

Yes, I was kidding about the volleyball court. Everyone knows that co-op owners like racketball more than volleyball.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #506 on: May 10, 2017, 11:27:20 PM »

Yes, I was kidding about the volleyball court. Everyone knows that co-op owners like racketball more than volleyball.
Don't be crass. We prefer croquet.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #507 on: May 10, 2017, 11:33:46 PM »

Don't be crass. We prefer croquet.

Be still, my heart!

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #508 on: May 11, 2017, 04:35:10 PM »

Literally anything else. Unless significant maintenance is dedicated to the pond (as in hourly attention), the pond is going to look gross/broke. To me, that trade off is not worth it. Just a personal opinion. I'm aware that it's probably going to stick around.

Offline newjhuser

• Citizen
« Reply #509 on: May 11, 2017, 05:04:11 PM »
They are actually fixing the pond right now.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #509 on: May 11, 2017, 05:04:11 PM »