Author Topic: Washington Plaza  (Read 128236 times)

Offline gsmayes

• Activist
Re: Washington Plaza
« Reply #435 on: January 25, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
Just skimmed through this thread...I live in WP in the D building.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard what happens to renters when their lease is up? I've been here for over four years and my 2-year lease is up in September. If it's a non-evict plan, are they letting renters renew leases? Is there a limit they can increase the rent year-to-year? Or can get jack it up to the stabilized rate, which is something like $1000 more than I pay now. I would say my current rate is around market with the "preferential" discount, while the stabilized rate is crazy high over market.

I thought about buying my apartment but I won't be in a position to for a couple years. I'm not interested in one of the renovated units. They're turning my unit into a two bedroom by converting the dining area into a bedroom. I would rather take down the wall between the kitchen/dinning and living room for a more open floor plan.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:54:22 PM by gsmayes »

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #436 on: January 25, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »

Or can get jack it up to the stabilized rate, which is something like $1000 more than I pay now. I would say my current rate is around market with the "preferential" discount, while the stabilized rate is crazy high over market.

They can do that. I had a preferential rent in Brooklyn for 15 years, and they ended it in July when our lease was up. Our rent went up by $535. For years, I'd kind of toyed with the idea of moving to JH, but the rent increase forced my hand. We were fortunate to be able to gather resources to buy here. (Mortgage and maintenance are $450 less than our rent stabilized apartment.)

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #437 on: January 25, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone has heard what happens to renters when their lease is up? I've been here for over four years and my 2-year lease is up in September. If it's a non-evict plan, are they letting renters renew leases? Is there a limit they can increase the rent year-to-year? Or can get jack it up to the stabilized rate, which is something like $1000 more than I pay now. I would say my current rate is around market with the "preferential" discount, while the stabilized rate is crazy high over market.

I thought about buying my apartment but I won't be in a position to for a couple years. I'm not interested in one of the renovated units. They're turning my unit into a two bedroom by converting the dining area into a bedroom. I would rather take down the wall between the kitchen/dinning and living room for a more open floor plan.

You should find out what kind of lease you really have. Is it a legitimate preferential rent lease or a stabilzed lease? They told me I had a preferential rent and I did not. I hired a lawyer and I have a stabilized lease now.

The important thing is to check the first lease.

Offline gsmayes

• Activist
« Reply #438 on: January 25, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

You should find out what kind of lease you really have. Is it a legitimate preferential rent lease or a stabilzed lease? They told me I had a preferential rent and I did not. I hired a lawyer and I have a stabilized lease now.

I'll check it out. Do you mind messaging me the lawyer you hired?

I have a cat, so I'm also concerned that they'll use that to try evicting me. I know plenty of people have pets in the building, and I was told cats were okay when I moved in, but the lease says no pets. They modified the house rules where you can request approval for pets, but I'm afraid that would just tip them off.

There's also a new house rule that forbids smells in the halls, including food. That seems like an excuse to hassle minority renters that cook ethnic food.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #439 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »

I have a cat, so I'm also concerned that they'll use that to try evicting me. I know plenty of people have pets in the building, and I was told cats were okay when I moved in, but the lease says no pets. They modified the house rules where you can request approval for pets, but I'm afraid that would just tip them off.

There's also a new house rule that forbids smells in the halls, including food. That seems like an excuse to hassle minority renters that cook ethnic food.

I don't know where to find your email address or know how to msg you from here.

House rules do NOT apply to renters. You can cook any smelly thing you want to. You only follow the city and state laws and your lease. In other words, if you pay your rent, you can do almost anything. That is a strange thing about co-ops. You pay more and you have to follow more rules than the renters.

I saw a woman openly walking her dog the other day. I had never seen her before.

Regarding your cat, I think there is a rule giving the owner some time to object and after that they can not.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #440 on: January 25, 2017, 10:29:45 PM »

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #441 on: January 25, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »

If your lease includes the house rules them you have to follow them - as the article says.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/13/realestate/your-home-the-rights-of-renters-in-co-ops.html

an article regarding rules for renters in a co-op bldg.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #442 on: January 26, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »

If your lease includes the house rules them you have to follow them - as the article says.

At Washington Plaza the house rules were written after all of the renters leases.

Tha article says that rent regulated tenants do NOT have to abide by the co-op rules; that unregulated tenants sometimes  have to abide by the rules and that sublet tenants can have the rules put into their leases.

''The rules promulgated by the co-op cannot in any way lessen the rights and benefits of rent-regulated tenants,'' Mr. Abramson said.

"The third type of tenant found in a co-op, he said, is the nonregulated tenant. In most cases, such tenants are those who are subletting their apartments from tenant-shareholders, usually at market-rate rents.

''Generally, the rights and obligations of nonregulated tenants are governed by their lease agreement,'' Mr. Ng said. ''And there is usually no obligation on the part of the tenant's landlord to renew the lease when it expires.''

While the foregoing may seem rather straightforward, confusion and difficulties often arise when the co-op seeks to impose its rules and regulations on the rental tenants."

Washington Plaza is a non eviction co-op plan, so they are obligated to renew the leases.

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #443 on: January 26, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »

You should know if you have preferential rent from your lease. The lease itself will be the rent stabilized price, because that's how landlord establishes their right to raise the rent to that price. The preferential rent is a rider which establishes that one pays the rent stabilized price once, and then the difference is rebated and put towards the next month's rent (so one is actually always paying the rent stabilized price).

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #444 on: January 26, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »

You should know if you have preferential rent from your lease. The lease itself will be the rent stabilized price, because that's how landlord establishes their right to raise the rent to that price. The preferential rent is a rider which establishes that one pays the rent stabilized price once, and then the difference is rebated and put towards the next month's rent (so one is actually always paying the rent stabilized price).

Yes, Frances, but Washington Plaza said I had a preferential rent, did not put the preferential rent in my lease but insisted that I was not rent stabilized; hence, the lawyer. So, like you said, she should read the first lease.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #445 on: January 26, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »

Yes, Frances, but Washington Plaza said I had a preferential rent, did not put the preferential rent in my lease but insisted that I was not rent stabilized; hence, the lawyer. So, like you said, she should read the first lease.

Oh, and another thing, the co-op book has an "s" next to the number of the rent stablized apartments. check that.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #446 on: January 26, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
Hi gsmayes! 

I thought you moved out; it's nice to see you here.

First, most of the house rules are the same as what's already on the rental leases. The cooking smell rule is new and stupid. It's not our fault we have crappy ventilation and it feels a bit "the more affluent owners that will be moving in might not like the odors from ethnic food" to me.

I wouldn't worry about having a cat! I've seen so many new dogs in the building and there are quite a few tenants (not owners) who were able to get pets allowed - they've completely changed the rules.. If you know the guy in D in the big one-bedroom on the 5th floor who has a new-ish dog (I feel like I shouldn't write his name here), I'd ask him what he did. At first they tried to make him get rid of her but he worked it out and is now allowed to keep her.

You are NOT going to be evicted when your lease is up. They have to renew your lease until your rent goes up to market rate, which is $2700 I think? The only people they are trying to evict are a few illegal subletters (there are 5 illegal subletters shoved into the small one-bedroom next to my new apartment). I wouldn't be surprised if they also throw cash at a few problematic tenants to get them to move out, but you aren't in that category.

They can take you out of preferential rent but once you aren't in preferential rent, they can't raise your rent higher than whatever percentage rent increase was decided by the Rent Guidelines Board that year.

They used to allow pets until someone was found to have a bunch of decomposing cats in his apartment (over 10 years ago) and that caused the rule change. I'm pretty confident they are going to relax the pet rules quite a bit - they might have a problem with large dogs or a loud parrot but you won't have a problem keeping your cat.

I found this article on preferential rent to be very interesting:
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160419/central-harlem/heres-why-some-rent-stabilized-tenants-are-seeing-huge-increases
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:57:30 PM by Lilybell »

Offline newjhuser

• Citizen
« Reply #447 on: January 26, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
its good to know someone who has all the inside info in regards to this place

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #448 on: February 06, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
Latest closing estimate slipped from April to June, which is when we always thought it would realistically be. Will be exciting to experience the change during summer, but it remains a bittersweet move for me.

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #449 on: February 08, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »
For those who've closed/taken out a mortgage, has anyone had an appraisal (from the bank) lower than the offer price in the Washington Plaza buildings?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #449 on: February 08, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »