Author Topic: Washington Plaza  (Read 128239 times)

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: Washington Plaza
« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
eddie, there are more apartments listed on NuPlace's site than on streeteasy (16 vs 12). 
http://www.nuplacerealty.com/?page=agents&id=11 

Look at apartment D61 vs C36.  They are both one-bedroom conversions to two beds. D61 is larger and has $840 maintenance. C36 is smaller, listed as a 1-bedroom even though the floorplan shows 2, and the maintenance is $1220.  I can't figure it out - the only thing I can think of is that the C building has fewer apartments.

But please keep in mind that there are many more floorplans that haven't been listed for sale yet . The two-bedrooms that were always two-bedrooms are very spacious.  There aren't many for sale because I think a lot of the people in the 2-bedrooms don't plan to purchase nor are they moving out.  The one-bedrooms that have been converted into 2-bedrooms are the ones that seem small. 

Offline eddie

• Activist
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
eddie, there are more apartments listed on NuPlace's site than on streeteasy (16 vs 12). 

Look at apartment D61 vs C36.  They are both one-bedroom conversions to two beds. D61 is larger and has $840 maintenance. C36 is smaller, listed as a 1-bedroom even though the floorplan shows 2, and the maintenance is $1220.  I can't figure it out - the only thing I can think of is that the C building has fewer apartments.

But please keep in mind that there are many more floorplans that haven't been listed for sale yet . The two-bedrooms that were always two-bedrooms are very spacious.  There aren't many for sale because I think a lot of the people in the 2-bedrooms don't plan to purchase nor are they moving out.  The one-bedrooms that have been converted into 2-bedrooms are the ones that seem small.

i see, yes thats odd. Unless its a mistake.

for instance apt d61 is listed at 1,120 sq feet, but its 850 feet at best when you add up the dimensions on the floor plan.

where as C23 is listed at 1005 feet yet according to the floor plan it shows a bigger apartment.

Offline Palermo

• Activist
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »

Are the co-ops going to be discrete units within Washington Plaza, like at Hampton Court, or is the entire complex going to be one unit, like Roosevelt Terrece?

the prices are high, but I thought it wasn't that bad of a deal until I saw the maintenance.

I agree.  I went to go and see a couple of units and came to the same thought.

1.  The new floors are not laminate; they are oak. All the floors of the renovated apartments were ripped up and replaced. The bathrooms looks exactly like the renderings.

Is it engineered oak?  I gave the floors a good look and it seemed like engineered wood flooring rather than traditional hardwood, but I may be wrong.  Bathrooms do look the same.  One unit had the old hamper pulled out and put in shelved storage in its place, which I thought was a wonderful idea. 

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2016, 11:40:42 PM »
at 192 units, $1200/mo for maintenance is quite a bit of income. Even at $1000 that's 192K/mo.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2016, 01:29:57 AM »

How interesting...both D61 and C36 are still listed as one-bedrooms in the offering plan. Also, the mt. for D61 is $884 in the offering plan. C36's is $775. Maybe Nu-Place's listings are simply wrong? On their page for C36, which clearly shows a two-bedroom, it says in the upper right-hand side of the listing that it's a one-bedroom. And yet the $1231 maintenance listed there (where did you find $1220?) is way higher than the offering plan maintenance. Also, as Eddie points out, the stated square feet of the apartments doesn't match the square feet of the floor plans.

Something is really out of whack.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2016, 01:34:37 AM »
Are the co-ops going to be discrete units within Washington Plaza, like at Hampton Court, or is the entire complex going to be one unit, like Roosevelt Terrece?

I'm not sure what Hampton Court and Roosevelt Terrace are like. Do you mean will the six buildings be separate coops? It will all be one coop.

I don't remember if this has been linked before, but here is the original real estate brochure, showing the original floor plans.

http://nyre.cul.columbia.edu/projects/view/26049
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:39:38 AM by Simka »

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
for instance apt d61 is listed at 1,120 sq feet, but its 850 feet at best when you add up the dimensions on the floor plan.

I think it's larger than that - I know that apartment very well. I noticed they don't list the dimensions for the bathroom or the former dressing area or the really long entrance hallway. (they enlarged the bathroom by getting rid of two big closets and the dressing area. My friend who lives in that floorplan uses the dressing room as a music room - it fits her piano. The hallway, bathroom, two closets and dressing room easily add up to 200 sf. 

palermo, there were hundreds of boxes of floor planks that sat in the basement for a few days - I am almost positive I saw the words "solid oak" written on them. 

I noticed that most of the Wash. Plaza listings on Nu-place say "exclusive" but there are a few that don't. I wonder what that means.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2016, 03:45:04 PM »
Hmmm.  I believe that perhaps those of us who bought 3 years or more ago here in Jax Hts... ...might be out of touch. I was. 

Prices seemed to have very recently leaped.  I see that the prices being asked for co-op apartments in the Historic District here in Jax Hts...are not so much lower than for Park Slope in Brooklyn. 

Perhaps folks should check asking prices for similar apartments in the Historic District Jax Hts online. And then compare to Park Slope.

Washington Plaza is right next to the Historic District...hardly any difference really...and those fountains do make it pretty special.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
Prices seemed to have very recently leaped.  I see that the prices being asked for co-op apartments in the Historic District here in Jax Hts...are not so much lower than for Park Slope in Brooklyn.

While prices have definitely gotten much higher in JH, I still don't think it can compare with Park Slope and the environs.  Especially for one-bedrooms - they are much higher priced in Brooklyn.  When you look at apartments with similar square footage, similar quality of the interiors, same walk to the subway, then you will see the difference - Brooklyn is higher unless you start going out towards Sunset Park/Bensonhurst. The ones that are closer in price tend to be tiny (I see so many 750 sf 2-bedrooms for sale in Bklyn in the 600K range) or in need of updating. And don't forget there are areas in Park Slope with long hikes to the subway. 

If you took a renovated apartment from Washington Plaza and plunked it into Park Slope, I think the difference would be 100-200K depending on the size.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
Yes, that's right.

Maybe $100-200K difference more for prime Park Slope (and depending where).... But when I bought...only a few years ago...prices here were half of what they were in Park Slope, Brooklyn.  I compared.

I'm surprised.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »
Oh, I agree! The price increases here have been pretty dramatic.  It was about 180K for a nice one-bedroom when I moved to the neighborhood (2008).

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2016, 10:12:50 AM »
Yes, I moved here three years ago, and at that time I was looking for a large one-bedroom/small two-bedroom for $250K-$300K. They existed, but I wasn't in a big hurry since I was tuckered out from selling my coop and moving and I had a one-year lease on my apartment. I continued looking but didn't find anything I liked enough to make me want to move, since I liked my apartment at Washington Plaza (and also had pretty specific wants re coops). Well, prices have steadily moved upward since then. What was in my price range then is in the high $300s to mid-$400s now. And I may be wrong, but it seems to me that even more apartments have been newly renovated by the owners, which adds on to the asking price. I think that three years ago I was seeing more apartments that had not been redone in a while.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
Yes, I moved here three years ago, and at that time I was looking for a large one-bedroom/small two-bedroom for $250K-$300K. They existed, but I wasn't in a big hurry since I was tuckered out from selling my coop and moving and I had a one-year lease on my apartment. I continued looking but didn't find anything I liked enough to make me want to move, since I liked my apartment at Washington Plaza (and also had pretty specific wants re coops). Well, prices have steadily moved upward since then. What was in my price range then is in the high $300s to mid-$400s now. And I may be wrong, but it seems to me that even more apartments have been newly renovated by the owners, which adds on to the asking price. I think that three years ago I was seeing more apartments that had not been redone in a while.

You may be right about the renovations, but one thing to consider is that there are more realtors who have a finger in the pie now in Jackson Heights, and they tend to want to present listings of turn-key apartments.  I'm thinking of places like Armen and Armen of Core Realty,  Helen Van Rhyn from Brown Harris Stevens and Jon Fisher of Douglas Elliman.   Looking at Streeteasy, these are the types of listings you'd be more likely to see.  I haven't looked in a while, but I suspect if you search the mlsli that you would find more that are unrenovated. http://www.mlsli.com/Listing/ListingSearch.aspx

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
I think realtors are looking to position JH as the next Park Slope. A couple years ago Sunnyside was getting lots of attention as the next big neighborhood. Prices went up. 15 years ago Astoria saw a jump in prices, as it became a popular destination for young professionals working in mid-town. Prices went up. We're coop-ville here versus a larger stock of one, two, and three family homes in Astoria, Sunnyside, or Woodside, so I see the appeal (and in fact, that was one of many reasons I decided to buy in the neighborhood).

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »
interesting write up. Looks like a beautiful building. Compared to Bklyn, looks like a good buy.                                                                                          https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&url=http://queenstribune.com/washington-plazas-reinvention-refurbished-co-op-in-jackson-heights-begins-sales/&ct=ga&cd=CAEYACoUMTM2MzczMjAxOTA3NDMwODc1NTcyGmZlMjdmMTg0OTgxMDIwOTc6Y29tOmVuOlVT&usg=AFQjCNF5a-FK2ssq17Sdhmh_kaQ_lXBzjA

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »