Author Topic: Washington Plaza  (Read 128302 times)

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
Re: Washington Plaza
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »
^^I still don't see the issue. Renderings are just that. Renderings. It sounds as though the apartments being shown are renovated apartments based on the renderings. If someone feels tricked by the renderings, I think it sounds like that person is very naive. A conversion is similar to a new build when amenities are being added. Owners of new builds frequently have to wait longer than they expected to move in due to construction delays and once they move it it is not uncommon for amenities to come later. Again, if folks find that sort of thing as trickery, I would suspect they haven't spent much time looking at the market.

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
Simka, you are too kind. You owe no one any justification whatsoever for discussing with your neighbors this life changing, neighborhood altering event.

Carry on, friends.
Thanks so much, Jeanette. I suppose I have been rather intent on making my perspective clear. God forbid I should be misunderstood, right? :D

But still, I'll answer CaptainFlannel's last comment: I think I've bent over backwards to make it clear that I'm not saying people are being tricked, at least not in any substantive way (though they may be surprised to find that the public areas, like the lobbies and hallways, haven't even been repainted). As I said, the way these apartments are being marketed is simply not my taste, and it's not the kind of approach that would appeal to me.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:06:15 PM by Simka »

Offline Simka

• Council Member
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2016, 02:02:38 PM »
We were part of the first group of showings. They are beautifully done. Kitchen and bathrooms are high end and all white subway tile. They kept the pre war arch details and built ins.
I'm really glad to hear they kept the arches and built-ins (meaning the niche shelves?) in the apartments you saw. I heard from someone who'd seen the inside of an apartment being renovated that some interior walls had been removed to create an "open floor plan," and none of the renderings showed the arches, so it seemed like they were going for a more modern look.

P.S. They're doing the showings in groups?

We saw about 4-5 renovated apts in the building. Yes, i was referring to built-in shelves. We saw both 1 and 2 bedrooms and they did knock some walls down between kitchen and dining rooms but it's very well done in my opinion. All we did was input our email/phone number on the website and we got a call back and scheduled a time to see them. I suggest you do the same, if anything it's just fun!

Sorry, I meant to respond before. Thanks for the report. Do you think you might end up being my neighbor?  :)

Offline mgrave22

• Resident
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2016, 07:54:36 PM »
We were part of the first group of showings. They are beautifully done. Kitchen and bathrooms are high end and all white subway tile. They kept the pre war arch details and built ins.
I'm really glad to hear they kept the arches and built-ins (meaning the niche shelves?) in the apartments you saw. I heard from someone who'd seen the inside of an apartment being renovated that some interior walls had been removed to create an "open floor plan," and none of the renderings showed the arches, so it seemed like they were going for a more modern look.

P.S. They're doing the showings in groups?

We saw about 4-5 renovated apts in the building. Yes, i was referring to built-in shelves. We saw both 1 and 2 bedrooms and they did knock some walls down between kitchen and dining rooms but it's very well done in my opinion. All we did was input our email/phone number on the website and we got a call back and scheduled a time to see them. I suggest you do the same, if anything it's just fun!

Sorry, I meant to respond before. Thanks for the report. Do you think you might end up being my neighbor?  :)

;D We are neighbors! I live two blocks away. We were talking about moving but that's been put on hold for us.

Offline eddie

• Activist
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2016, 08:04:26 PM »
i think the mocking of the renderings is all in good fun... things never look like the picture...Has your big mac ever come close to looking like the pictures and commercials? of course not, but they've still sold over a billion!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2016, 04:08:59 PM »
redacted.  The joke I was going to make was way funnier in my head.

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2016, 04:50:01 PM »
i think the mocking of the renderings is all in good fun... things never look like the picture...Has your big mac ever come close to looking like the pictures and commercials? of course not, but they've still sold over a billion!

In a recent edition of Consumer Reports they did a piece on internet flower delivery companies.  They posted photos of what they looked like online and what was actually delivered.  It made me think about fast food photos and the thing you see when you open the wrapper.  But that's food and flowers.  When it comes to shelling out three-quarters of a million dollars for a place to live, the "renderings" should reflect the reality.  The cars I see in commercials look like the cars I see in the showroom.  The internal common areas of Washington Plaza are nothing special. They certainly don't live up to the hype.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:56:42 PM by queenskid2 »

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2016, 07:52:16 PM »
Is it within the realm of possibility that there may be buyers who complete the entire purchasing transaction from overseas and never actually see the apartment or building?  It is a sponsor unit, so there would not need to be board approval. 

My friend who lives in the complex this same realty place is marketing in Elmhurst http://thecontinentalpark.com/ mentioned that many of her neighbors are Chinese.  I realize that Elmhurst has more of that demographic than JH does, but it got me wondering if the people buying in the Elmhurst coop are foreign nationals.  I know there is a lot of real estate money from China lately.

It would be a shame if people were duped by deceptive renderings and never made a visit to see what it looks like in reality, but then, caveat emptor, I suppose.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2016, 08:39:08 PM »
Renderings aren't meant to reflect reality. If the intent was to reflect reality, the realtor would come take a photo of what is actually there. (And many, many photos, since not every unit can have a Manhattan view). It's just weird to register an objection to a rendering that is meant to depict *what is to come.* You don't buy a new build or conversion from a rental to a luxury coop based on what's currently in place. You buy based on what is to come. Until someone invents a time machine, renderings are how it's done.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:48 PM »
if renderings aren't meant to reflect reality, why use them?

why not have a 3-D landscape with jetsons-styled features and a unicorn doorman?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2016, 10:50:09 PM »

why not have a 3-D landscape with jetsons-styled features and a unicorn doorman?

;D

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »

If only there were a way to search the internet to find answers to your questions.
Oh, wait. There is. http://villagefeatures3d.com/blog/2014/6/9/why-graphical-renderings-help-sell-luxury-real-estate

You'll have to talk to a realtor about why they don't include fantasy elements in to the tools they use to market their properties. My guess as a marketer in another space is that they are trying to give potential buyers a rendering that approaches what can be and will be accomplished with a space in order to facilitate sales. If renderings didn't help them sell, they wouldn't contract out with the firms that provide this service. In this instance the renderings seem to depict what has been done to the apartments being renovated or will be done to the ones that are under renovation, what will be done with the lobby and with other amenities, and including fantastical elements such as unicorns, Jetson style features, a mountain view, backing on to a golf course, etc. would be rather pointless and harmful to sales since potential buyers know unicorns don't exist, Jetson Style features don't exist, there are no mountains to provide a view in NYC, and there aren't any golf courses in Jackson Heights. If it doesn't help them sell or hurts their ability to sell, realtors aren't going to do it.

The whole business plan for the developer it to get as many apartments sold at top dollar as quickly as possible for top price. They aren't going to wait until everything is 100% complete before showing the apartments and property. Renderings aid them and the realtors they have hired in showing potential buyers what is to come and help sell units in a new build or conversion before the renovation is complete. Developers like that.

Renderings are common in the luxury market.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:59:04 AM by CaptainFlannel »

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2016, 03:43:32 PM »
Is it within the realm of possibility that there may be buyers who complete the entire purchasing transaction from overseas and never actually see the apartment or building?  It is a sponsor unit, so there would not need to be board approval.

shelby, it is very likely this will happen. If I decide not to buy, I don't have to allow anyone inside to see my apartment and any purchaser will have to buy it sight unseen (I think it's because it's a rent-stablized building but I'm not sure). My guess is that they will try to sell the unrenovated apartments (the ones with tenants who aren't going to buy) to foreign investors who often buy blocks of apartments in the same complex.  That's why I'm concerned about those apartments becoming airbnb short-term rentals. I'm hoping the board won't allow that. 

Edited:  But I don't think they would use those renderings to sell the unrenovated apartments; while they aren't the most altruistic of owners, I don't think they are shady enough to do something like that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:00:24 PM by Lilybell »

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »
It's too late for me to edit my last post -

simka - They will probably post the monthly sales document in the lobby this weekend. There's one listed as "in contract" on streeteasy (B Building) and I've heard they sold 3 apartments so far for a pretty decent chunk lower than the asking price. But it's just a rumor.

Offline eddie

• Activist
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »
how are the floors named in this coop? For instance a unit that says D42? is that a 4th floor unit?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »