Author Topic: Washington Plaza  (Read 130392 times)

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
Re: Washington Plaza
« Reply #390 on: December 24, 2016, 07:30:36 AM »
Just saw a 2 bed/2 bath listed on Streeteasy for $795,000 (I think). Is that the highest listing price for a WP apartment so far?
No. The three bedrooms and four bedroom are/were listed higher.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #391 on: December 24, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
Just saw a 2 bed/2 bath listed on Streeteasy for $795,000 (I think). Is that the highest listing price for a WP apartment so far?

I saw that ad for apt. F42. According to the co-op amendment #5, apt F42 is supposed to cost $904,500.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #392 on: December 24, 2016, 12:03:07 PM »
With the success of WP, does anyone know if this kind of thing is going to happen to other buildings in the neighborhood?  And, if so, how many buildings in the neighborhood are rentals as opposed to co-ops?  Just wondering. 

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #393 on: December 24, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
With the success of WP, does anyone know if this kind of thing is going to happen to other buildings in the neighborhood?  And, if so, how many buildings in the neighborhood are rentals as opposed to co-ops?  Just wondering.
Great question. I've actually wondered the very same thing.

Offline Alexnyc

• Resident
« Reply #394 on: December 24, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »
The building on 76st and 34 ave might be next.

Offline newjhuser

• Citizen
« Reply #395 on: December 28, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »
I was thinking of creating a facebook group for washington plaza. Any interest?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2016, 10:39:08 PM »

there aren't very many rental buildings around anymore, as far as i know. 74-10 35th is rental, and a couple of the buildings on 74th between 34th and 35th are, too. maybe the barcelona, also 74th, going towards 37th  as well.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #397 on: December 28, 2016, 10:50:17 PM »

That's the one I was thinking of, as well. It's a large, beautiful pre-war with enormous apartments right next to Travers Park.

Offline Alexnyc

• Resident
« Reply #398 on: December 29, 2016, 02:50:44 AM »

That's the one I was thinking of, as well. It's a large, beautiful pre-war with enormous apartments right next to Travers Park.
They have several empty apartments that are not being rented. So it does seem that they may be preparing to go co-op.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #399 on: December 29, 2016, 07:33:01 AM »
I was thinking of creating a facebook group for washington plaza. Any interest?
I wonder how many people here are residents as opposed to interested neighborhood folks. May be better to wait a bit longer, after more contracts, closings, and move-ins happen.

Nonetheless, this other building that seems poised for conversion is interesting. WP is definitely setting a precedent for other building owners interested in following suit to capture some of the same capital success. There's clearly a market for it.

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #400 on: December 29, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
It would be a real shame if WP started a cascade of conversions. This neighborhood is special because of its ethnic and socio-economic diversity--it doesn't need more luxury coops and people yammering on about their love of charcuterie plates. One Forest Hills is enough.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #401 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
It would be a real shame if WP started a cascade of conversions. This neighborhood is special because of its ethnic and socio-economic diversity--it doesn't need more luxury coops and people yammering on about their love of charcuterie plates. One Forest Hills is enough.
It sounds like the number of rental buildings in the neighborhood is already slim. So even if WP sparked a few of them convert, it doesn't seem like it will ever be so numerous as to represent the majority of the population. And to that point, if nothing else, it brings a new mix of folks to the "ethnic and socio-economic diversity" that you mentioned. Diversity — by its very meaning — could and should include people at all ends of the spectrum. Both in terms of color/culture and income.

And there's nothing wrong with cured meats! Haha.

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #402 on: December 30, 2016, 02:46:47 PM »

It sounds like the number of rental buildings in the neighborhood is already slim. So even if WP sparked a few of them convert, it doesn't seem like it will ever be so numerous as to represent the majority of the population. And to that point, if nothing else, it brings a new mix of folks to the "ethnic and socio-economic diversity" that you mentioned. Diversity — by its very meaning — could and should include people at all ends of the spectrum. Both in terms of color/culture and income.

And there's nothing wrong with cured meats! Haha.

Your statement regarding the conversion doesn't make sense. Missing words, perhaps?

Given that 22% of the JH population is below the poverty level, it's safe to assume that there is significant doubling and tripling of families in those rental apartments. 59% of those people are rent-burdened, spending more than 30% of their income on rent. Because they are often sharing apartments, their numbers aren't showing up in your count of the "slim" number of rental buildings. Rental buildings, of course, include the many illegally subdivided multi-family houses in this part of Queens.

I understand that you want your million plus apartment to increase in value, and that requires more luxury conversions. But just know that your desires (your ilk will probably get what you want) are going to cause real harm to the most vulnerable among us.

Nope, nothing wrong with cured meats at all. But it is kind of odd that you've brought up your love of it so frequently, given that it's so uninteresting.

Offline jleach

• Tourist
« Reply #403 on: December 31, 2016, 06:48:33 AM »
Frances - Thanks for pointing out Mr Plaza's sinister designs on the neighborhood of Jackson Heights and it's inhabitants.  We are forever in your debt.

Silly old me thought he was just trying to find a place to live like everyone else.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #404 on: December 31, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »
Mr Plaza, charcuterie was historically plentiful in Jackson Heights when this was an Italian and Jewish neighborhood. But, the last Italian deli, salumeria, is gone, as far as I know.  You will find that the food stores in the neighborhood border on dreadful, unless you want Indian food and then you are Tikka heaven.

We have two supermarkets, Foodtown - overpriced and out of touch with the current neighborhood and Food Dynasty - where they fired the union employees on Christmas eve and had the union rat outside for about a year.  Food Dynasty is a low end Key Food, as if Key Food is not low end enough. I use Freshdirect.com.

Mr Plaza, I am curious how you determined that the price you paid for the co-op at Washington Plaza was what you are willing to pay. It is about 34 years times the prevailing rent for an unrenovated apartment in the building. Unrenovated apartments have thick pre-war plaster walls; the renovated apartments have uninsulated - not soundproofed -  walls. They stripped most of the prewar features out of the apartments. They traded that for shiny new walls, open kitchen with no privacy and an Eastern European look bathroom. They kept amending the co-op plan to drive up the prices of the apartments as people from Manhattan and Brooklyn bought them at seemingly record speed. What about Washington Plaza made you buy here? And, why at this price?

I too like charcuterie but this is a Tikka and Churro neighborhood now.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #404 on: December 31, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »