Author Topic: Jackson Heights' Notoriety  (Read 10907 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Jackson Heights' Notoriety
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:17:40 PM »
I've recently read many articles on Jackson Heights being known primarily for its Indian community (little India) and shopping district.  Although the Colombian community as well as other latin american groups seem to have established themselves here years before the arrival of little India, I feel that sometimes the hispanic community's presence in the neighborhood seems to be overlooked.   This generally applies to many blogs as well, including the popular Chowhound.  In my opinion, Jackson Heights is represented by a wonderful array of many people; not just one group.  The yearly parades are proof of that.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline fishcado

• Resident
Re: Jackson Heights' Notoriety
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:25:25 AM »
Like the song goes, no one loves you when your brown and out, or is that down and out??   :2funny:

Yeah as a latino, you feel like you're invisible in JH.  Culinary cuisine is more than just the carts on Roosevelt Ave. Also, lots of other great food like Korean and  Filipino to name a few...

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
I would agree with this general sentiment as I see many blogs and short youtube films talking about Little India.  Jackson Heights seems to be known as an "Indian neighborhood" to those who have never visited, or have only visited 74th St.

But I'm curious, Chuckster, that you think that Chowhound is filled with this same idea.  As a fairly regular reader of that site, I definitely have seen many conversations about other types of food in JH, including Columbian, Burmese, Thai.  Is it that you think that more often than not, when there is a new inquiry about where to eat in the neigbhorhood that people are asking about Indian food?

I was pleasantly surprised when there was a spot on the 11pm news last week (channel 4 I think) talking about the diversity in Jackson Heights and they did not spend excessive amounts of time on 74th St.  They also interviewed a school-aged child who proudly told the names of all her friends and where they were all from (different countries) and they interviewed the Korean owner of the Italian deli.  They may have gone into Lety's as well - I can't remember all of it.

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 03:47:27 PM »
Is it that you think that more often than not, when there is a new inquiry about where to eat in the neigbhorhood that people are asking about Indian food?

Shelby, I should have been more specific in my original post.  According to popular media sources as well as many blogging sites, Jackson Heights seems to be primarily known for its Asian community.  I just don't see the concentration of focus on the large hispanic community that we have.

Fishcado, as crude as your comment seems, you're so right when you state that the hispanic culture and food go beyond the $2.00 taco trucks.  That seems to be the main focus when hispanic food is rarely discussed.  Hey, how about those huge plates of steak, chicken or fish, rice, beans, salad and plantains that go for less than $10.00?  How about the bowl of sancocho, a meal in a bowl for $4.00?  Now, that's a meal and an incredible deal!

Offline sixj

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »
On a somewhat related note, there is a good article about Jackson Heights' own Orlando Tobon of Orlando Travel in the Nov 26, 2007 issue of the New Yorker entitled "The Patron."

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 11:53:03 PM »
I think 74th Street gets a lot of attention because it really is a unique place, by virtue of a high concentration of businesses of a type you can't find too many places.  It's one very charasmatic block.  Although Little Columbia dwarfs 74th Street in scope, it lacks an equivalently unique place.  The unfortunate result is that sometimes the Manhattan-based media sometimes equates all of Jackson Heights with that block.

But I also see a lot of attention paid to the full range of our community's diversity, from the New Yorker's profile of Orlando Tobon (as just noted) to Seth Kugel's ode to Jackson Heights food in the NY Times Real Estate section last year. 

In any case, we have a poll running on the best South American restaurant in the 'hood.  Not too many votes so far.  Please drop in and let us know what place do you like, and what you like to order.

Offline Chuckster

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:08:58 AM »
Todd, I was one of the few that did vote.  La Nueva is my favorite at the moment, but with all the wonderful choices we have in the community, I'll most likely find a new favorite shortly.  I also read Seth's article on moving to the neighborhood for the food.  It was a great piece, but if I remember correctly, at that time, I wished he would have focused a bit more on the many hispanic restaurants we have, not just the taco trucks and Seba Seba.

I'll read the article again.  Thanks for linking.

Offline S.O.R.B.

• Tourist
  • "Throw'em under The Bus!"
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »
I still think we could use better press.  Maybe an article about the history and the architecture and the gardens.  We already know you can eat like a king in the neighborhood, food and culture articles about JH are played out.

Offline JC2JH

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 03:29:14 PM »
This might be a bit off the topic of cuisine, but Jackson Heights has been gaining exposure on the CURBED real estate blog.  You can vote for JH in Curbed's "Neighborhood of the Year" competition:

http://curbed.com/archives/2007/12/05/curbed_cup_first_round_1_fidi_vs_16_jackson_heights.php#more

Offline toddg

• Calendar Editor
  • Mayor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »
Continuing where JC2JH left off, we're seeded #16, and are matched against the #1 seeded Financial District.  Visit the Curbed website and let them know all of the ways in which JH is the superior neighborhood! 

Offline spaceboy

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »
Curbed is getting ugly! Yikes! some guy has very strong feelings about Jackson Heights (and not in a nice way)

Offline JD

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »
Curbed is renown for its mean comments and Brooklyn-biased real-estate "experts". Anyone who considers the Financial District to be a top neighborhood is just kidding themselves. Jackson Heights may not be a top designation for prospective home-buyers, but neither is "FiDi".
- JD

Offline NYCMacUser

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 09:59:38 PM »
This might be a bit off the topic of cuisine, but Jackson Heights has been gaining exposure on the CURBED real estate blog.  You can vote for JH in Curbed's "Neighborhood of the Year" competition:
Oh! G-d, don't do that. You'll end up with all the hipsters and trust-fund babies that are moving to Astoria and all the landlords who are jacking up all the rents and all the lousy eating places that come and go overnight. Shhhh. Don't tell a soul about JH.. Keep it a secret before you also get invaded.

Offline fishcado

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 05:19:47 PM »
You mean to tell me we don't have trust fund babies already in JH??  :2funny:

Offline S.O.R.B.

• Tourist
  • "Throw'em under The Bus!"
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 11:47:39 AM »
we're infested with'em.