Author Topic: Jackson Heights' Notoriety  (Read 18101 times)

Offline worldwidedeb

• Resident
Re: Jackson Heights' Notoriety
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »
Honestly, I think there has been an intentional effort by some people/groups to downplay the Colombian presence in Jackson Heights, due to the unfortunate public perception of "Colombian" being associated with "drug trade."

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 06:46:23 PM »
On one hand, any effort to describe a diverse community of 72,000 people will inevitably focus disproportionately on one facet while giving short shrift to the others.  That doesn't mean there is an intentional effort to hide any group.

On the other hand, you're probably right that some people have unfortunate associations with Colombia, but it is hopefully dissipating as the 1980s recede and the Colombian community puts down deeper roots here in NY.   I just don't think that association would be top on the mind of your average Joe or Jane anymore.  (For me personally, as an urban planner, when I think of Colombia, I think of Bogota's TransMilenio and bike network!)
We certainly need more visible celebrations and explanations of the Colombian (and Ecuadorean and Peruvian) contributions to the neighborhood's culture, along the lines of the Seth Kugel article mentioned earlier. 

If anybody knows of any bloggers focusing on Queens Latino culture we can link to or get involved in this site, please let me know.  So far, the best I've seen is the Nueva York Guide.  I also love Junction Blvd., which celebrates the ethnic diversity of Corona and Elmhurst.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »
As I see it, the dominant recent image of Jackson Heights in the media has primarily been as NYC's Diversity Capital (sometimes with a South Asian flavor, sometimes with a South American flavor, and sometimes with both).  But recently I've been noticing a new meme breaking into public consciousness: in a city where so many neighborhoods have been rendered unrecognizable by rampant development and rapid gentrification, Jackson Heights is a real neighborhood -- and people live here because they like that.

Witness:  In Time Out New York's review of the new anthology, Brooklyn Was Mine, the reviewer writes:

Self-indulgence and creamy nostalgia also mar Phillip Lopate’s wonder-full introduction: Turns out that the “vanished ideal” of neighborhoods still exists in “a few places, such as…Brooklyn.” Just don’t tell that to people who live in Jackson Heights, or to members of the Wu-Tang Clan.

I think the reference to Wu-Tang Clan means some sort of Staten Island pride, but it's interesting that Jackson Heights was the one neighborhood mentioned by name as a counterexample to the idea that only Brooklyn has neighborhoods.

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 11:52:53 PM »
We certainly need more visible celebrations and explanations of the Colombian (and Ecuadorean and Peruvian) contributions to the neighborhood's culture, along the lines of the Seth Kugel article mentioned earlier.

A stroll along Roosevelt and 37th Avenues serves as testimony to the contributions that Hispanic Americans have made to the Jackson Heights community and its culture.  The myriad of heterogeneous shops and restaurants that co-exist is like non-other and is pretty amazing considering the "my country is better than yours" mentality that can sometimes be present behind closed doors.

As a kid growing up in the Bronx in the late 60s, my parents shopping options for ethnic products were quite limited.   Our basic pit stops on the weekends were La Marqueta in Spanish Harlem and a few shops along La Catorce (14th Street).  The real treat was when we ventured into Queens to visit the Dominican chicharron shops that were well-kept secrets in the mid 90s of Roosevelt Avenue.

I suppose I'm feeling a bit "self-indulgent" when I see Jackson Heights as a mecca of all things Latino.  Nonetheless, I am willing to share it will all nations!  ;)
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
A very funny thread (“Yeah so I visited Jackson Heights…”) was started today on the bulletin board of RateDesi.com: The Desi Hot or Not Site by a young Indian-American (tamil_desi) who visited here last week from Pennsylvania. Opinions of our neighborhood seem to be either very positive or very negative with little in between, plus there’s also a suggestion we change the name, speculation about Jackson Heights: The Sitcom, a comment on our apartments, and amusing anecdotes, and the thread is fewer than twenty-four hours old. South Asian youths from around the globe are commenting on Jackson Heights! (There’s also a picture of the sadly demolished Chilli Chicken.)
Elyaqim Mosheh Adam (a.k.a. “Mark”)
Seventy-second Street
Blogger | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »
A very funny thread (“Yeah so I visited Jackson Heights…”) was started today on the bulletin board of RateDesi.com: The Desi Hot or Not Site by a young Indian-American (tamil_desi) who visited here last week from Pennsylvania. Opinions of our neighborhood seem to be either very positive or very negative with little in between, plus there’s also a suggestion we change the name, speculation about Jackson Heights: The Sitcom, a comment on our apartments, and amusing anecdotes, and the thread is fewer than twenty-four hours old. South Asian youths from around the globe are commenting on Jackson Heights! (There’s also a picture of the sadly demolished Chilli Chicken.)

I  took a quick look at the thread and thought this comment was funny:

jackson heights is good cuz of kabob king
other then that...its a bunch of aunties and uncles buying groceries
nd looking at jewelry

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 07:21:52 PM »
My favorite was…

i went to nyc last year....first thing my friends and i did was ask the cabbie where jackson heights was....after he told us...we told him to drive in the opposite direction
—T.DiMera

And because I just moved into an apartment here…

I have to go there whenever my mom wants to visit people or get some Indian groceries. It's always a drag. After visiting people's apartments in that area, it's always a relief to come back to the suburbs..
—EwLookItsYou

Brilliant!
Seventy-second Street

Offline KC

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:33 PM »
....... speculation about Jackson Heights: The Sitcom, a comment on our apartments, and amusing anecdotes, and the thread is fewer than twenty-four hours old.

Oh no!  I've had the sitcom idea for years!!! But rather than an apartment based theme, I imagined it would be based on the staff in my office in JH.   :D

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »
the curbed article scares me. I am looking to buy an apt by next summer, I hope JH loses by a landside to the Financial District (what a joke!). please keep it on the DL.

and unfortunately, I have no trust fund.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »

that site was so funny.  how did you find it?  I love where they type

el
oh
el

for LOL. 
First, do no harm.

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 04:38:52 AM »
Another great quote from that thread:
Quote from: desipride24o7
i hate jackson heights. i can't get the food to go down my throat. the music is annoying... and the smell...oh my gosh
Seventy-second Street

Offline Griswold Girl

• Activist
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
I hate all those anti trust funders comments which seem like veiled anti-white professionals comments.  Would you say something like the working class are not wanted?  Or immigrants are not wanted?  Or a certain type of race is not wanted?  Anyone is welcome in the neighborhood rich or poor, black or white, with children or without.  Diversity is what makes our neighborhood so great.  (-No, I am not a trust funder. However, it is interesting that if you look at the history of the community it was founded as an elitist neighborhood).

Buy now, if you are worried about raising rents.  It is a great time to buy.  There are one bedrooms for less than 200k around in the high eighties and nineties that anyone can afford so long as they have good credit and a working class income. Buy now or forever hold your peace.

I do think the neighborhood could absolutely improve in certain areas (Don't you want a bistro or bookstore?  Am I an elitist gentrifying trust funding ***** for suggesting that).  Is the farmer's market a bad thing?  Is Espresso 77 a bad thing?  Is sushi a bad thing?  All these things fit the criteria for "stuff white people like":
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

Are you boycotting these places?

I much rather stay in the neighborhood to do these things rather than go over to (yikes) Astoria or Manhattan.  I think there is room for all things in the neighborhood.

The fact of the matter is that you can't stop change.  That is what makes New York, New York.  The neighborhood will go through cyclical changes over the years.  Just look at Jackson Heights 80+ year history.

Offline spanky

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
Well said Griswold Girl.  We've beenliving here for thirty-five years and have seen lots of changes, some good and some bad, but this is a great place to live thanks to the wonderful diversity of people who live here.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »
it's not anti-white professionals, it's anti people who want to bask in the scene du jour. wehn this crew gets in, big businesses take notice and then we have an ikea - like red hook. I love this neighborhood for what it is and I don't want to see it turn into any of the scene du jours that brooklyn has. walk along the water in williamsburg - it's coming. im not really anti-trust fund though, as long as they have good taste in architecture and food.

barnes and nobles is supposedly coming, right?
chipotle, applebees, and quiznos is a change I do not look forward to.

and I hate that stuff white people like site. its so spot on. especially that one about eating in a restaurant where you are the only white person....

Offline lioninoil

• Tourist
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »
just enjoy the neighborhood and stop kidding yourselves that this place will ever be like Williamsburg.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »