Author Topic: Fried Chicken  (Read 3149 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Fried Chicken
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
Over at the Courier, Joe DiStefano explores Elmhurst's various Asian fried chicken specialties

Around JHL, our recent fried chicken discussions have included UFC, Krispy Krunchy Chicken, Hill Country Chicken in Manhattan, and where to get wings.   

What fried chicken do you like?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:23:45 PM by toddg »

Offline sjze10

• Resident
Re: Fried Chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
Mad For Chicken ~ located in Flushing on Northern Blvd & about 158th Street

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
My favorite fried chickens in the neighborhood are Broadway Bakery on Case St (near 90th St, south of Roosevelt). They call it Broaster.

And the new Kennedy Fried Chicken on Northern is great.
Also, Krispy Krunchy Chicken is pretty good. These two places are Halal fried chicken, which is a category that is totally unrecognized but it's going to be nostalgic in like 40 years, when there's a KKC in every city of America like we have KFC and Popeyes.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »

Is it? I live close to it, but haven't tried it yet. Have you tried everything, or just the fried chicken? They have so many things, I'm curious if any of them are any good. For example, I wonder about the pizza...

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 11:12:39 PM »

Is it? I live close to it, but haven't tried it yet. Have you tried everything, or just the fried chicken? They have so many things, I'm curious if any of them are any good. For example, I wonder about the pizza...

I think the fried chicken is great. I haven't had the other things, but the thing about Halal fried chicken places is that they are like a catch-all for American food. It's where you can have burgers and pizza and whatever and know that it's all Halal. That's why the menus are so large. I really can't speak for the other items, and I probably never will, but the chicken is very good in my opinion. I went the first week, so it was all clean. Hopefully it is still running as well.

Offline Superclam

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:35:24 AM »
Thanks. I pass by there a lot, it's always got at least a few people in it and it still looks clean. I'll have to check it out.

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:53:13 PM »
I haven't been to the Popeye's on 82nd St. but in general Popeye's is shockingly good--both the chicken and the side, in particular the beans and rice. Get the spicy chicken. Nothing like KFC, really surprising if you haven't been.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 10:19:45 PM »
I haven't been to the Popeye's on 82nd St. but in general Popeye's is shockingly good--both the chicken and the side, in particular the beans and rice. Get the spicy chicken. Nothing like KFC, really surprising if you haven't been.

If you like Popeye's, definitely check out Krispy Krunchy Khichen

Offline dollymibella

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »
Krispy Krunchy on 37th is quite good.  They deliver but you need to call.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 10:41:44 AM »
I have been waiting very (im)patiently for them to start serving the fried chicken sandwich-while also worrying that I am going to get fat because I live so close to Farine. Now that I read the article, I'm bummed to see that it has a sriracha honey glaze. I really dislike sriracha. But it's probably a good thing since I would probably order this way too often otherwise. In my opinion, a fried chicken sandwich is best topped with a glob of coleslaw and isn't covered with a sticky glaze. But I know it's just me and the rest of the world loves sriracha. The photo does look drool-worthy!

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
Not in the neighborhood but Pelicana in Sunnyside (and other locations around the city) serves the best chicken. Hands down.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
Not in the neighborhood but Pelicana in Sunnyside (and other locations around the city) serves the best chicken. Hands down.

it's delicious -- but do they serve a sandwich? i only recall pieces. tasty ones, but...

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »
 I am afraid of this sandwich.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »

I've had excellent and very good fried chicken from Pelicana, but the sides are severely lacking. I have a list of best fried chicken on my fridge - though korean fried chicken I don't consider to be the same animal as pieces of a whole bird. My favorites in Queens are Jollibee, Bon Bon chicken and Broadway Bakery. I have on my to-do list Thirsty Koala and the Alcove

it's delicious -- but do they serve a sandwich? i only recall pieces. tasty ones, but...

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »