Author Topic: MPJ REALTY ELEVATOR ASSESSMENT...Is it me?  (Read 6958 times)

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
Re: MPJ REALTY ELEVATOR ASSESSMENT...Is it me?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
Regarding the toilet issue, I would suggest asking Jose, the super, for help first.  He's usually pretty good about addressing problems.  In the few times I've had to deal with the management company, I have found them to be inept, unhelpful, and generally useless - especially the receptionist.

If anyone wants to revamp the Board, count me in.

By the way...THE PREVIOUS IS JUST AN OPINION BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE AS AN EX MEMBER OF COOP BOARDS

Email me and I will give you  2 or 3 people that actually live in the building that would probably like to speak to you about supporting the right people to run for the Board.

what does m p j stand for?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:20:29 PM by NYC Native »
Time is running out!

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
I guess there's a lot more people reading this threat then I thought.  Let me clarify my position on somethings that I said here since I have received a few phone calls about the subject of The Monterey.

a.  MPJ is a Management company and it is no different than any other company I have ever dealt with, big or small.  Their job is to pay bills and to assist the Bldg in their day to day operations.  I don't know them well so I can't say anything negative about these people.  Mgmt firms are eager to help the Board out all the time but that is probably the number one mistake most mgmt companies make.  Pleasing the Board sometimes means messing up the bottom line and then the Bldg and Bd blames the Mgmt Company.  This goes for all of them, MPJ or anyone else.  There seems to be a trend nowadays in that the Mgmt companies get very involved in the construction business part of the business and I stand corrected, (someone reminded me), that since most Boards don't like to get involved in the construction process Mgmt ends up having to do 99% of the work.

b.  The Monterey is in great shape, I like the Bldg, I like the Super and I like the president...but it seems that other members are just warming up the seats they hold.  The President did buy a distressed unit with the understanding the he improves it and sells it.  This was in  fact a very smart move since letting an apartment in distressed into the open market can only lower the overall value and reputation of any coop.  If I was in the Board I would have done the same thing.  I have never had beef with the guy and I don't have any reason to.  People reading more into things should know that a 3rd party attempted to disrupt the peace.  Something did take place so I decided to step aside instead of dealing with the BS.  My decision was mine and had nothing to do with the guy personally and he always expressed genuine concern for the overall wellness of the building.  He has lots of experience and has served in many Boards in the past.  Yes, I believe the Monterey needs to revise the lower than average reserve but that may be an issue that has been resolved and if not it can easy be resolved within a few weeks.  Anyone thinking of buying in the Monterey should know that it is a good Bldg to invest in.

c.  I know people in the Building that should run for the Board but for one reason or another wont.  My recommendation to those people is that they should join a committee.  Ask some of the Board members if there is an opportunity to join a beautification or financial or even a welcoming committee.  It is a thankless job to be part of a board but participating in a committee can be lots of fun.

Now if there are no more questions I'll go and have a greasy and delicious Ribeye   :D
Time is running out!

Offline jan

• Tourist
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 07:50:52 PM »
What is the deal with this statement?
"LOOKS NICE BUT I HAD TO STEP ASIDE DO TO DRAMA AMONG THE PRESIDENT, LL REALTY, 718 REALTY AND MYSELF"

Would like more information on this flip case, was their any unethical or illegal tax fraud activity?

Also MPJ's owner is suspect and the board should be accountable for any improprieties in the financial dept.

I can tell you the elevator is not worth anywhere near 150,000, someone got greased maybe an apartment for less than half the market share was the price for approving this price.

Offline 6210Woodside

• Tourist
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
I currently own a condo at 62-10 Woodside Avenue.  I'm on the board of 62-10 Woodside Avenue.

MPJ is also our management company.  I think MPJ do a good job for what they do.  It's a family business.  The current owner had the business passed down from his father.  They have managed tons of buildings, and if there was any shady business, they won't be in business.

I think this price for the elevator is very fair if it includes also the interior of the cab.  I know it's years later, but do you have pictures?  What do you think of the job done?

For those whom ask about the building reserves.  This is an old building, so there are no state mandated regulation on reserves/levels that need to be kept.  If you look at their CC/maintenance prices you'll notice they are very low for their size.  ~$500 for ~1,000 square feet today; they have a part time doorman too.  They keep very low reserves.

I googled this building as I'm interested in upgrading to a full 2 bedroom soon.  Price of these units, and common charges make this seem like a very attractive building.

Offline NYC Native

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »
Boy...talk ABOUT RESURRECTION!
 :D
But, in all fairness...MPJ historically has shown to be an effective company.  They seem to be very progressive and if you think they are unethical then you would have to fire or close down 95% of the Management firms out there.  As per someone getting grease..I'm not privy to that information and as per someone backing out of a deal because of that   :o .  You back out of a deal because the financial don't have any legs or your bank or lawyer told you to...not because of what you read on a thread.  You do your due diligence and you couple that with long term value.  Personally, I can care less about the whole bunch previously mentioned.  Everyone has to make their own mind about what fits their need.  I do have to say, MPJ is very hands on - that doesn't mean I am advocating for them...I don't even talk or deal with them, but I do with people living in Bldgs managed by them, most seem to like them better than previous firms managing their bldg BUT, I also knoe a few that think they are Not SO Great.  On my end, I dont own any units in Bldgs that they manage, so...  :D 

I currently own a condo at 62-10 Woodside Avenue.  I'm on the board of 62-10 Woodside Avenue.

MPJ is also our management company.  I think MPJ do a good job for what they do.  It's a family business.  The current owner had the business passed down from his father.  They have managed tons of buildings, and if there was any shady business, they won't be in business.

I think this price for the elevator is very fair if it includes also the interior of the cab.  I know it's years later, but do you have pictures?  What do you think of the job done?

For those whom ask about the building reserves.  This is an old building, so there are no state mandated regulation on reserves/levels that need to be kept.  If you look at their CC/maintenance prices you'll notice they are very low for their size.  ~$500 for ~1,000 square feet today; they have a part time doorman too.  They keep very low reserves.

I googled this building as I'm interested in upgrading to a full 2 bedroom soon.  Price of these units, and common charges make this seem like a very attractive building.

Time is running out!

Offline Beatdown

• Tourist
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 01:02:30 AM »
That company MPJ is a horrorible company that doesn't do anything to maintain apts in their buildings.. Various problems in. A lot of their Apts. they lack the skill to get serious things done to show why they charge so much for maintainance. U might not be able to reach them as this name to Avoid court sentences they changed their name.  Lenny the president and owner of the corp he lacks any real skill to get things done right . Too cheap to get new things for its buildings . Elevator breaks almost like clock work and doesn't get a new put in like a real management company would.  Refuses to fix leeks that is the buildings problem they keep getting people sick with holes they put in the walls to see if there is a leaks. They take their time to get such hazardous things.  I have gotten chronic sinus problems due to this.. They also don't change the windows to replace the old and broken windows that are coming apart..  They know they are in the wrong legal action should be taken till they either do something or Lenny resigns. For lack of action to the tenants and the lack if action to take care of the buildings he owns.  As well as lack of board of directors of the Co ops in some buildings. Which is illegal .. Giving no voice to the tenants ... I think if there is major problems to go to the main office and speak ur minds ... Please do go pay a visit to them and tell them
How u really feel.. About their lack of real management and to show up and have your voice heard..