Author Topic: A street car named desire... between Brooklyng and Queens.  (Read 4053 times)

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
Re: A street car named desire... between Brooklyng and Queens.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
The stupidest idea to come out of the mayor’s office. Why spend millions to build a streetcar for something that could be done by an articulated bus? Rail is inflexible and cannot be rerouted and makes snow removal difficult. This boondoggle will never the light of day.

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »
Anyone else think this streetcar project as a massive boondoggle aimed at appeasing fat cat real estate interests? And a thing only tourists would have time to ride? Every time I hear about these plans this song from the Simpsons springs to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

I also vote for the G train to return to JH! Even just on weekends. That would be amazing!

Oh, I would love a monorail!  However, increasing bus service would most likely be much more economical than the proposed streetcar.

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
Anyone else think this streetcar project as a massive boondoggle aimed at appeasing fat cat real estate interests? And a thing only tourists would have time to ride? Every time I hear about these plans this song from the Simpsons springs to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

I also vote for the G train to return to JH! Even just on weekends. That would be amazing!

Oh, I would love a monorail!  However, increasing bus service would most likely be much more economical than the proposed streetcar.

I just returned from a trip to Quito. They have a really efficient and cheap "trolley" system. The trollies are triple-articulated buses with dedicated travel lanes (separated from car traffic). That would be much cheaper--though less charming--than the proposed street car project. Is it inconvenient for cars? Yep. Does it serve way more people than cars? Yep.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »
I think they copied that from Brazil. They have entire highways like that.

Offline Paul11372

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
worked for Ogdenville and North Haverbrook!

Offline DijoninJH

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:18:46 AM »
Both Seattle and Portland have effective streetcars as well as many many European cities. Though they do have the chance of being affected by traffic, will cost a lot less to execute when it is compared to new subway lines.  And if they probably higher capacity numbers than more buses on the road.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 05:53:07 AM »
Just because it’s costs less than the billions spent on the second avenue subway doesn’t make it a good idea. Just think if you have a water main break, you have to suspend service. Thousands would left without service. In China they have started an electric streetcar that requires no rails.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
This article about Amazon mentions the BQX streetcar.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/nyregion/amazon-long-island-city.html

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 09:08:08 AM »
The BQX project stalled out for a while but I've been seeing signs that it's back on (not literal signs, lol).

Online Olivesta

• Tourist
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
The BQX project stalled out for a while but I've been seeing signs that it's back on (not literal signs, lol).

We really need some new, modern transport options in this city so I really hope this goes ahead. Failing that I would settle for a subway that works

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »