Author Topic: Vegetarian Food in Jackson Heights/Woodside?  (Read 10844 times)

Offline C11106

• Council Member
Vegetarian Food in Jackson Heights/Woodside?
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:03:01 AM »
I will be moving to Woodside on Monday( :)) and was wondering about vegetarian options in the area.  I love indian food and already know about Marajaha (love the 12-4pm lunch buffet!) and I've also eaten at Jackson Diner.  What else should I try?  I know there are so many spanish restaurants in the area, but I've found in the past that Spanish food was ALL meat.  Anything I'm not aware of?

Offline jennsch

• Activist
Re: Vegetarian Food in Jackson Heights/Woodside?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »
Rajbhog on 37th btwn 72nd and 73rd is all vegetarian. It's definitely nothing fancy but it's very good. They have a small combo plate (though it's not so small) of bread and two veg dishes for, I think, $4.50 and the large, includes rice and other goodies, is around $6. It's a steam tray setup but they have a lot of turnover so nothing sits for too long.

And, if you request it, Spripraphai (a fantastic Thai restaurant at 6413 39th Ave.) has an all-vegetarian menu. Search for it on Chowhound -- people discuss it all the time so you'll get recommendations a-plenty.

Offline Griswold Girl

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »
We have Tomo Japanese where you can order veggie rolls, seaweed salad and veggie tempura etc...
37th Ave between 85th & 86th? or 86th & 87th?

Offline jennsch

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:28:52 PM »
Also, if you're in the mood for really great tofu to take home, there's a place in Woodside -- han rem or something like that -- you can find it on chowhound (outer boroughs board -- just search tofu) or else I'll post it when I dig the info up.

Offline jennsch

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 07:37:40 PM »
Here's a link to some spots that might work for you:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/401621

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
roti boti saheen might work for you.

Offline KC

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I don't eat meat, but I do eat dairy and fish.  Honestly, I don't think that you will have a problem at most establishments in the neighborhood, unless you have a really restrictive diet such as vegan or macrobiotic. 

Don't make the mistake of clumping all "Spanish" restaurants together.  Each has a very different style, and it would sort of be like saying "I've had problems with European food."  Which food?  French?  Italian?  German?   :laugh:  The only places I have ever had a problem finding something on the menu is in Argentinian restaurants, which seem to put beef on everything.  Oh.  And that Brazilian place on Northern Blvd that basically is a meat-orgy with a tired salad bar.  Honestly, I love several the local Colombian places, some of the Mexican places, Ecuadorian, and I finally got around to trying a Peruvian place recently.  If you eat dairy, don't miss a late night Arepa from the famous Arepa lady! In terms of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi food, as others have mentioned, you will have a wide range of vegetarian options.  There are several excellent Italian restaurants, such as Armondo's and Uncle Peter's, which should offer you options.  The smaller pizza style places all seem to serve up my personal favorite... ziti with broccoli, garlic and olive oil.  A few good Korean places.  Thai should have options for you.  And then there are a bunch of diners. 

Just make your dietary needs clear when you order, and don't be afraid to tell the waiter/waitress "I don't eat meat.  What do you recommend?"

Offline Christine76

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:41:54 PM »
This is not exactly in the neighborhood but Mundo in Astoria has so many vegetarian dishes - and they are all delicious!  It's on 31st off Broadway and not far from the N/W train.  http://www.mundoastoria.com    If you have never been, definitely worth the extra trip from Woodside... 

Offline C11106

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »
This is not exactly in the neighborhood but Mundo in Astoria has so many vegetarian dishes - and they are all delicious!  It's on 31st off Broadway and not far from the N/W train.  http://www.mundoastoria.com    If you have never been, definitely worth the extra trip from Woodside... 

I agree about Mundo.  I'm pretty sure it's 32nd street, though.  You would come from the Broadway stop on the subway (31st street) and turn right onto 32nd.  I just moved away from Astoria, though.  I'm excited to explore the new neighborhood!

Also mentioned--the late-night Arepa lady.  Where do I find her, and how late would I have to stay up?

I'm a vegetarian who eats eggs and dairy, no fish.  Thanks for all the suggestions--it sounds like I will be busy eating!  Let me know if there is anything else I should try.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
Hi. I'm a vegetarian too. I eat eggs from vegetarian chickens and dairy from vegetarian cows. No fish. I buy Morning Star products - the grillers are excellent. They're sometimes hard to find. I recommend Morning Star hot dogs, too.

Be careful about the beans in Spanish restaurants. They're often cooked in a meat broth and the cook may not realize it's not vegetarian. Ricky's told me their black beans are not cooked in meat. Also, the fast-food Mexican place on 37th in the 80s advertises beans that are vegetarian.

I've eaten at Rajbhog - I love the Indian music - but be prepared for spicy. On a side-note, in that area you are likely to see rather large skinned animals being carted around from truck to store. It's pretty unsettling.

Offline Griswold Girl

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »

Also mentioned--the late-night Arepa lady.  Where do I find her, and how late would I have to stay up?

She has a myspace with up-to-date arepa reports:

http://www.myspace.com/arepalady

I am one of her 179 friends!

Offline C11106

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »
Hi. I'm a vegetarian too. I eat eggs from vegetarian chickens and dairy from vegetarian cows. No fish. I buy Morning Star products - the grillers are excellent. They're sometimes hard to find. I recommend Morning Star hot dogs, too.

Be careful about the beans in Spanish restaurants. They're often cooked in a meat broth and the cook may not realize it's not vegetarian. Ricky's told me their black beans are not cooked in meat. Also, the fast-food Mexican place on 37th in the 80s advertises beans that are vegetarian.

I've eaten at Rajbhog - I love the Indian music - but be prepared for spicy. On a side-note, in that area you are likely to see rather large skinned animals being carted around from truck to store. It's pretty unsettling.

Thanks for the bean warning.  When I was in mexico last year, I was very disappointed to find that all the beans had some kind of meat mixed with them.  Good to know about Ricky's.

I love morningstar farms, although I don't find the selection as good around here as it was in upstate NY.  If you haven't tried the spicy black bean burgers they make, you should try it.  Every now and then I'll find them in the Pathmark in LIC.  I also had the asian veggie patties that were really good but I found them once and then never again..  Do you know where there is a good morningstar farms selection in JH/Woodside?

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 05:17:53 PM »
Key Food on Queens Blvd. at the Big Six usually has the Grillers, but once they sell out it takes awhile for them to restock. I also find them -- and the hot dogs -- at the Met on 77th and 37th. I asked C-Town on 86th & 37th to stock Morningstar. They will sometimes have Vegan and the flavored burgers, but not the Grillers. They stock Boca. The health food store on 37th (83rd?) does not stock Grillers; they have some of the other flavors. Trade Fair on 88th has a small assortment. I don't shop at Trade Fair at 76th, but I imagine they would move Morningstar well there.

Does anyone know where I can get felafel? Not the Israeli kind, I prefer yogurt sauce.

Periodically JHLifers get together in the neighborhood for a bite and a drink. It would be great if we could suggest something vegetarian that even a carnivore would love. Mundo sounds good but too out-of-the-way.

What's the difference between a cow and a dog? The way they're cooked.

Offline KC

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 05:26:40 PM »
A couple of other suggestions.  Fresco Tortillas 84-18 37th ave does not put meat in their black beans or pinto beans.  And the food is really great.  And CHEAP!!!!

Not so cheap, and not so vegetarian friendly, but still an option is Meson Colombiano on 37th ave between 82 & 83.  Their beans DO HAVE MEAT, but the waitresses will look surprised and concerned by the question, and assure you that it is cut up very small and that there is not a lot of it.  So I would avoid the beans. HOWEVER, they have a soup special every day of the week, and on Thursdays they make the most AMAZING veggie soup!!!  It has all kinds of really interesting and yummy root veggies that I could not even identify, mixed in with the leafy stuff and really fine seasonings.  That and a side dish makes a very nice meal.

Happy dining!

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:52:32 PM »
Yeah, Fresco Tortillas is a good place with a vegetarian section on the menu.

Tomo was already mentioned.  Their veggie tempura is really great.  It has a lot more sweet potato than other places.   Same for Happy Kitchen which I think has more of a selection on their menu.

Arunee Thai has a great tofu vegetable dish that I ask them to add cashews or peanuts to.  Plus other dishes.
First, do no harm.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 07:52:32 PM »