Author Topic: Bathroom renovation in coop apartment  (Read 2962 times)

Offline alw_newhome

• Tourist
Bathroom renovation in coop apartment
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:27:29 PM »
Hello,
I'm in contract for a 2br coop in Jackson Heights and wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for someone who can do a bathroom renovation--someone very affordable but who will do quality work. I don't need anything fancy, but new and pretty would be good. I also have a few months to hunt so I will probably contact a few. Everything else seems good about the apartment, except the bathroom is pretty awful!
Thank you.
Ann

Offline Cassat

• Citizen
Re: Bathroom renovation in coop apartment
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:46:32 AM »
I'm in that market, too! Need to renovate a small bathroom but want to keep the original look as much as possible...

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »
Need to renovate a small bathroom but want to keep the original look as much as possible...

My bathroom is in its original state: not-quite-flamingo pink and black tiling against white tub, ceiling and upper walls. It's definitely a retro look.

My super says he can't fix my leaking sink faucet, so I have to buy a new sink. I found a vanity sink at Home Depot. The cabinet comes in espresso or white. Online it is available in black but for ~$150 more than the espresso and white ones at HD.

My questions to those with a sense of design or personal experience:
1. Will an espresso vanity look awful next to the very shiny black tiles/toilet set/window blinds/towels?
2. My super told me not to buy a pedestal, which I would prefer. He says it won't fit. Has anyone out there had that experience--a pedestal not fitting, and if so, how did you resolve the problem?

thanx in advance.

Jeanette

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
Need to renovate a small bathroom but want to keep the original look as much as possible...

My bathroom is in its original state: not-quite-flamingo pink and black tiling against white tub, ceiling and upper walls. It's definitely a retro look.

My super says he can't fix my leaking sink faucet, so I have to buy a new sink. I found a vanity sink at Home Depot. The cabinet comes in espresso or white. Online it is available in black but for ~$150 more than the espresso and white ones at HD.

My questions to those with a sense of design or personal experience:
1. Will an espresso vanity look awful next to the very shiny black tiles/toilet set/window blinds/towels?
2. My super told me not to buy a pedestal, which I would prefer. He says it won't fit. Has anyone out there had that experience--a pedestal not fitting, and if so, how did you resolve the problem?

thanx in advance.

Jeanette

Try doing a Google search on the address or name of your coop and see if you can find photos of units that were previously renovated and put up for sale. That may give you a sense of what's possible in your bathroom. Good luck!

Offline Crabby_Appleton

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
@jeannette, an espresso sink is going to look horrible in a bathroom like that. You can probably find a nice vintage one that matches better by looking at one of the salvage places:

http://shop.bigreuse.org/collection/bath/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwlMXMBRC195OLzqOz04wBEiQAooa7CMnQHXWColQVP4LGkgr5IQzrBocLmAqbki3rXYUmUf0aAuN78P8HAQ

So jealous of your colors!

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:16:29 AM »
regarding your leaking faucet, I would ask a plumber's advice.  You may just need new faucets which are easy for a plumber to replace.

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
Your biggest cost for a bathroom reno may be plumbing.

Your sink and toilet may operate perfectly but not be up to current code. That's often true of pre-war bathrooms that haven't been updated. So you may need extensive plumbing work. Before you select tile and vanities you want to get a full bid and scope of work from a few contractors.

Btw, IMHO pedestal sinks look nice but are very impractical day-to-day. You lose under-cabinet storage with one, which is a big thing in most bathrooms. Plus they require more cleaning and upkeep. With a regular sink you just clean the bowl and the top. With a pedestal you have to clean the whole darn thing and the visible dust and dirt that accumulates on the sides and back. I had one. Never again.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Thanks everyone! Keep your comments coming, please.

This is helping me so much to think about something of which I know so little.

Regarding the faucet, Super says it would cost a small fortune to get vintage parts in good shape, but I think he is also being influenced by the water reduction regulations.

I would love to have a wall mount without a cabinet, but Super has nixed that idea as well saying the wall can't support it. But that is what I have now, so I don't quite understand.

Has anyone replaced a 24" sink with an 18" vanity sink? Is 18 inches just too puny?  I just feel that a 24" cabinet will encroach on my space.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
There are 20" and 22" vanity sinks as well. Just Google "22" vanity sink" and click on images.

You could also browse sites like Pinterest for bathroom sink ideas. I'm pretty sure you have to sign up for a free account in order to browse. Once you have an account, you can save your ideas (images) there.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
Last evening I purchased a bathroom vanity sink. As I was paying for it, my HD salesperson said I should have hired a plumber who would have had or been able to access the obsolete parts to my 70-year-old bathroom sink. It would cost me about the same, and I would be keeping the original deep bowl and water pressure.

Why didn't I think of that? I would much rather put my money in the pocket of a worker than HD. Can anyone recommend a plumber? The old "need a plumber" threads here don't yield much in recommendations.

By the way, my super said it would be near impossible and very expensive to fix the old sink. Do you agree?

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »
Call Bob O'Connor at Elmwood plumbing. He will know of it's possible to salvage.. 

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:48 AM »
Call Bob O'Connor at Elmwood plumbing. He will know of it's possible to salvage..

Bob O'Connor called me back within minutes from his vacation! Wow, what a difference speaking with a knowledgeable, caring professional versus the overall inept and frustratingly slow employees and others that I have been dealing with for weeks now on this project.

Thanks Petegard.

O'Connor had a few suggestions, but without doing further research toward the rehabilitation of my old sink, it would seem my Super was right to discourage me in going that route.

Now, will my new HD sink fit, did it arrive damaged, how long will it last before it has problems, becomes ratty; the saga continues....

Offline Handyman

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »
Hello I have over 10 years experience and i offer top quality work with very affordable prucing.
I am in the area and i can provide free esrimates and advice. I can give you my past work examples and references as well.

James

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »