Author Topic: Armondo's  (Read 15052 times)

Offline francis

• Mayor
Armondo's
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:48:18 PM »
Every once in awhile I venture into Armondos Italian restaurant  on 37th Ave.  Just wanted to give them a thumbs up.  The food happens to be consistently good as well as the service. It seems they've been around forever and now I can see why.

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
Re: Armondos Italian food
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »
They've been here for awhile so they must be doing something right.  That and they're really the only Italian food in our neighborhood.

I like their salmon and spinach entree.  What made you think of them, francis?  I don't think you've eaten there for awhile.
First, do no harm.

Offline Aronan

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
Armando's has been in the neighborhood for 32 years. Jerry, the owner, is there almost every night I think and is an excellent host. The food is great and he service is excellent too. The prices however... you certainly get what you pay for, unfortunately this makes Armando's a rare special occasion place for me.   
"It is widely recognized that the courageous spirit of a
single man can inspire to victory an army of
thousands. If one concerned with ordinary gain can
create such an effect, how much more will be produced by one who cares for greater things ?" -Chunag Tse

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:17:45 PM »
Aronan, I end up taking half my dinner home there's so much.  So I look at it as two meals for the price.  But most of the time when I'm in the mood for Italian food, I go to Porto Bella on Ditmars. 
First, do no harm.

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
Armondo's
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
I never went because I was told that the food wasn't any good.  Big mistake.  The place is 4 Star food, service and ambiance.  I go almost everyday for lunch.  The prices are incredibly low.  Lunch is $12.  I had the best Screwdriver ever with fresh squeezed orange juice for $4.00.  A Fine Pinot Grigio is $7.00. 

A similar restaurant which I've been to hundreds of times if Uncle Peter's Restaurant.  They have a complete Dinner for $23.95 which includes wine and dessert.  The place is 5 Stars. 

Offline David_M

• Citizen
    • blog, audio, video, & stuff
Re: Armondo's
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:32:33 AM »
It's very satisfying to hear that you had a good experience at Armando's. I can't imagine anyone reporting otherwise.

That we have a white-linen restaurant at the corner of 37th Ave and 75th St is nothing short of a genuine treasure.

We've been regulars there for years, and have nothing but highest praise for the establishment. The staff is always pleasant and appropriate; they remember our favorite cocktails and wines; they are generous to a fault when accommodating the needs of my elderly father-in-law.

Do not miss their Fettucine Alfredo. It's sumptuous but not deadly. They often offer Osso Buco as a special, served with saffron risotto, and it's incredible. Seafood, pasta, salads,... all of it really wonderful fare.
David_M in JH @ 35th
• Facebook •

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:05:20 AM »
We've been here a handful of times over the yrs-wanting to love it. I did not like the sauce at all. Luigis was our favorite for years so when they closed we went to Armondos and it is not the same. We were going to have a dinner there but read an article about them having roaches so (Total deal breaker)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
i really like Armondo's for everything EXCEPT the red sauce dishes. the grilled fish, chicken o.r veal marsala/francese/etc are all pretty great. good salads too.

but as far as roaches, bella, i think you'd have a hard time finding a restaurant anywhere in nyc without them. check out the DOH site, and even restaurants with "A" grades have 'em -- having roaches is only a couple of points against you. gross, but true.

Offline Griswold Contessa

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:49 AM »
My experience with Armondo's was not a positive one.  Firstly our table cloth was dirty, next I hate when a waiter brings out your napkins and cutlery in the bread basket but bottom line the food was subpar!  I've had better marinara sauce from a jar!  Listen if an Italian restaurant is unable to prepare a decent "red" sauce they're not worth my business!  When I'm in the mood for Italian and don't feel like cooking I head over to Ponticello's in Astoria.  Where the service, atmosphere and food are  amazing! http://www.ponticelloristorante.com/index.html
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »
Threads like this always make me laugh. I've gone to many a restaurant because someone couldn't stop raving about it only to be severely disappointed. I've only eaten at Armando's twice in the four years I've lived here but enjoyed both the food and atmosphere. Conversely, I've had two bad experiences at Ponticello.... one involving the food, and a second visit marred by houseflies that would not leave our table alone. I've not returned since.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 11:24:30 AM »
The food at Armondo's is hit or miss. I've had great meals and I've been disappointed (not often and it's usually red-sauce related).  But the owner is a extremely nice guy and I like the atmosphere. 

It's also a good choice because I have a few relatives that visit who are the least adventurous eaters on earth - I can't even get them to try Thai (which I think is a very accessible start for people who are scared of "ethnic" food).  It's cheap and close and usually pretty good. 

Offline liam0925

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
I have never been disappointed in Armondo's.  My favorite dish is the Armondo salad followed by sausage and peppers over penne with marinara sauce. The sauce is great!!!  :smitten: The staff is attentive, friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Jerry is a great host, the drinks are more than generous.  All in all, a great place to dine.  Mangia bene!  :P

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 05:14:43 AM »
The very finest best Restaurant is Uncle Peter's on Northern Blvd.  The food is World Class  and so is the service and ambiance.  I dine here often for lunch.  The owners are Argentina Italians.  Argentina is 70% Italian, 20% German and 10% mixed.  It's really more European than South American. 

Offline Jerry C

• Tourist
Armondos Italian Restaurant
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
Armondos Italian Restaurant, located on 74-27 37th ave, is having a Carnevale Night on Tuesday 3/04/2014. Two free drinks with any full dinner. Call to make reservations at 718-898-0113.

Jackson Heights Life

Armondos Italian Restaurant
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »