Author Topic: Momo news roundup  (Read 8790 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: Momo news roundup
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »
Chopsticks & Marrow profiles Momo Bros' jhol momo

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
have not seen the truck there in the last couple of days: if anyone has a lead, please spill the beans!

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 04:31:13 AM »
have not seen the truck there in the last couple of days: if anyone has a lead, please spill the beans!

They've been trying to find a regular space. Yesterday they were behind the Potala truck.

Offline frances

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »
Their twitter account says they're on 74th today.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 11:42:33 AM »
If you walk across Diversity Plaza from one end to the other, you'll probably see it.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 01:18:58 PM »
I finally tried the Momo Bros. truck over the weekend and I didn't like it at all, nor did my two companions. I had the beef and found it to be way too garlicky with a pronounced flavor of cinnamon (or maybe it was nutmeg). I was bummed because I did think the quality of the beef was a step above the competition.  The worst part is that I asked for one order and he gave me two - I paid for it anyway thinking they'd be good but I ended up throwing the second plate away.

I'll probably give it another chance to try the jhol momo.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 04:08:35 PM »
they're definitely distinctively and assertively flavored. i liked the jhel momo a lot - the sauce/gravy is reminiscent of a thinner, spicier tahini.

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »
they're definitely distinctively and assertively flavored. i liked the jhel momo a lot - the sauce/gravy is reminiscent of a thinner, spicier tahini.

Same here! I thought it tasted like tahini too. Delicious

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2017, 09:53:49 AM »
Is the meat inside of the jhel momo similar to the regular beef ones?  Or is it just the sauce that's different? 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 08:10:10 PM »
the meat seems about the same, although the sauce, being strong tasting, dominates. if you get yours to go, as i do, the sauce is served on the side; those who eat there get it spooned over in advance.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 09:41:16 AM »
Thanks. I have a feeling it will be too strong-tasting for me but I'll give it a try.  I am afflicted with the curse of being a supertaster...it's one of my least-favorite things about myself.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 07:54:14 AM »
New place next to the Phayul door just opened - Potala

and I like the Momo Bros a lot!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »

could that be a brick and mortar version of the Potala truck that's been at the triangle of roosevelt, broadway, 74th?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »

could that be a brick and mortar version of the Potala truck that's been at the triangle of roosevelt, broadway, 74th?

According to this article, it's unrelated. https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170613/jackson-heights/potala-restaurant-jackson-heights-tibetan-food

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
NY Times: Momos in JH
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:36 AM »
Winter Salvation, Fresh From the Dumpling Steamer, in Queens

In winter, momos are salvation: hot dumplings with swirled pleats, fresh from the steamer, arriving in a cloudy rush of ascending souls.

To eat them outdoors in winter, shivering, with numb, fumbling fingers, is even more of a wonder. At the Amdo Kitchen food truck in Jackson Heights, Queens, momos come huddled unceremoniously, eight for $5 on a disposable plate; bow your head over them and the steam kisses your face.

Thubten Amchok, the owner and chef, grew up in the Amdo region of Tibet and fled to Nepal and then India before settling in the U.S. in 1995. A former monk, he started selling momos from a pushcart six years ago. Now his truck — emblazoned with Tibetan and American flags, snow lions alongside stars and stripes — rolls out daily, weather permitting. (Snowdrifts from the recent storm piled up so high, he couldn’t park on the street for two weeks.)

full article Winter Salvation, Fresh From the Dumpling Steamer, in Queens

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:41:44 AM by Shelby2 »

Jackson Heights Life

NY Times: Momos in JH
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 01:34:36 AM »