Author Topic: Momo news roundup  (Read 6516 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Momo news roundup
« on: November 01, 2015, 11:35:10 PM »
It has been a while since we've caught up on news in the neighborhood's momo scene.

Jeff Orlick's 2014 Momo Crawl was held last November, and it drew crowds of people to the neighborhood.   Jeff has recently posted a great overview of the event to his blog.  He announced that the winner of the 2014 trophy was Lhasa Fast Food, the legendary "secret" momo shop hidden behind a cell phone store on 74th Avenue.   Recently, Jeff has announced that the 2015 Momo Crawl will be held on Saturday, November 14th.

Today, Joe DiStefano writes about a secret new momo at this secret momo shop, a beef-and-chive variety.   

Any other momo news?

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Momo news roundup
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
I have lots of news but I want to hear what other people say. I'll tell you this nugget though, there is one place that will definitely not be on the Momo Crawl. It's a counter at DigiPlus on 75th street south of Roosevelt.  They are too small an operation for the crawl but its definitely interesting and you should check out. They also make freshly ground masala for the tea. The guy there was a doctor in Nepal and now he's serving momos --- isn't that crazy? NYC has such potential because we have doctors, lawyers, very educated people who come here and have to start out selling food or driving taxis... The next wave always grows so quickly because of it.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
Thanks.  Excellent.

Now we can get a delicious momo PLUS a diagnosis.

That's awesome.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »
Thanks.  Excellent.

Now we can get a delicious momo PLUS a diagnosis.

That's awesome.

The diagnosis is: deliciousness deficit syndrome. The treatment: MOMOS.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »
Congratulations to Jeff Orlick (and Jackson Heights generally) on another successful Momo Crawl!  I missed it yet again, but my family was there, and they had a great time. 

The crowds were quite large again, perhaps due to writeups in The Voice and Gothamist.   And they were enthusiastic, too.  Some were so inspired by the tasty dumplings that they got free momo tattoos at Mohan's Tattoo Inn, which has just set up shop here in Jackson Heights.

Even the map was awesome, as it has been every year.  This time, each copy looked freshly sketched by pencil.  It was an unusual and impressive printing job by Digiplus on Roosevelt. 

This year's winner, according to Jeff's Twitter feed, was Amdo Kitchen, which is a truck that can often be found on 37th Road.

Here are some highlights from Twitter
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 09:00:51 PM by toddg »

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »
Yeah, I was astonished too how good those copies came out. My copier was not coming out well at all, I was definitely concerned. Those copies were like exact replicas of the one I drew. DigiPlus is great. Really helpful and they keep getting new equipment.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
Is Amdo kitchen the truck that's usually parked catty-corner to the pedestrian plaza almost under the train tracks? 

If so, I think they're good but I wish these guys would use less gristly meat (I mean all of the momo sellers, not just Amdo).

Offline Dodger

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 05:04:31 PM »
Yes, Amdo is usually parked on 37th Road near Diversity Plaza. I go for their chicken momos which are awesome. My only wish, and like yours Lilybell, it's a general one to all Momo-sellers, is that I wish they served the momos with a soy-vinegar dipping sauce like a Chinese dumpling place, in addition to all the spicy sauces. I realize that's just not how it's done, but it's the taste I crave when I pop one of them in my mouth.

Offline Maple

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 11:45:02 PM »
The one time I tried Amdo, I was underwhelmed. It was fine, but not a contender. But I don't do hot sauce, so perhaps it's the sauce that tilted people in its favor. I'd rather go upstairs to Phayul, or to Lali Guras, which has the best yellow sauce that's spicy but not super hot.

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:26:51 AM »
I really like their meat momo. They're very juicy, almost like soup dumplings. You can also ask for kimchee with your momos at no extra charge.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 11:31:41 PM »
Breaking momo news!   There's a new momo truck in town

Hat tip: Jeff Orlick - https://www.instagram.com/p/BSZNOYzAXCn/?taken-by=queensqustodian

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »
if they put half as much effort into the momo as they did into the truck, these should be pretty terrific!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »
tried for the first time yesterday, and the momo were so so good, especially the Jhol Momo (served with a sesame-like spicy sambal).

but we might have to start searching for the truck -- as i was waiting for my order, the manager of the Citibank came out and started loudly warning the people inside that they had to move, because they were "blocking" the doors. not sure exactly how, since the truck is on the street, and there's plenty of room on either side of the vehicle, but.....

Offline jackinjh

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
Amdo definitely have the most watery juicy momo. I like the Tawa Deli one as their seasoning is better.

I missed the momo crawl last year, anyone know if they improve the line, instead cooking momo when order they should just cook a large batch. I went few years ago, the line was long. Waited forever just to eat two momo, since I was want to try all of them on the map but end up only trying five places and left hungry.

Looking forward for this year.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »
Chopsticks & Marrow profiles Momo Bros' jhol momo

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:31 AM »