Author Topic: Amazon Prime Boxes left in lobbies/wrong addresses  (Read 7900 times)

Offline HAMjacksonheights

• Activist
Amazon Prime Boxes left in lobbies/wrong addresses
« on: October 04, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »
What is going on with the shipping carriers in Jackson Heights. Is anyone else having this issue? I was at my in-laws on 74th st/35th ave and noticed two Amazon prime boxes hanging out in the foyer, one ripped open with an address on it from a couple blocks away. Then when I got home to my place on 79th, I noticed 3 boxes in my foyer which none of them even matching my address at all. I was able to get in touch with one of the boxes owners by the power of looking up there name on social media. The other 2 boxes are still there, what am I supposed to do, does the shipping company come back and re-deliver them to the correct address?

Offline ptbass75

• Mayor
Re: Amazon Prime Boxes left in lobbies/wrong addresses
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
Is it Sunday dropoffs?  I find packages delivered on sundays often get messed up, as it isnt the usual drivers

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:02:18 PM »
7/11 on Roosevelt Avenue  is an AMAZON PRIME receiver

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 10:23:46 PM »
Is it Sunday dropoffs?  I find packages delivered on sundays often get messed up, as it isnt the usual drivers

I think the Sunday Amazon deliveries are made by the US Postal Service and not UPS.  There is this weird category of shipping where the box starts off as a UPS shipment and then is handed off to the US Postal Service for delivery.  It's called "last mile" delivery.  I have had many problems with the postal service.  I find their carriers are extremely lazy when it comes to package delivery.  I tried to convince Amazon that I should be able to select UPS when I make purchases, but they weren't interested in hearing how inept the Postal Service is when it comes to delivering in NYC.

Does the USPS really make money delivering for FedEx and UPS?

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:51:49 AM »
The sunday amazon deliveries are made by the post office. I was told that they had to hire extra folks just to deliver on Sundays. The last few months I've been getting several other packages (not from amazon). The addresses weren't even similar!  Same issues with UPS and Fed ex is the worse. Fed ex has thrown packages over my fence, left an area rug on top of my garbage cans etc. You can call the post office but I doubt they will do anything at all I was cursed out by a postal worker in the waldbaums shopping center and he is still employed there.

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »

I think the Sunday Amazon deliveries are made by the US Postal Service and not UPS.  There is this weird category of shipping where the box starts off as a UPS shipment and then is handed off to the US Postal Service for delivery.  It's called "last mile" delivery.  I have had many problems with the postal service.  I find their carriers are extremely lazy when it comes to package delivery.  I tried to convince Amazon that I should be able to select UPS when I make purchases, but they weren't interested in hearing how inept the Postal Service is when it comes to delivering in NYC.

Amazon will learn their lesson eventually. They're the ones that have to take a loss when they have to send out the product again for free.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »

Amazon will learn their lesson eventually. They're the ones that have to take a loss when they have to send out the product again for free.

I'm not sure they will learn their lesson.  In the article I linked above, it says, "According to the Journal, “Analysts estimate Amazon pays about $2 to mail a package via the Postal Service versus $7 or $8 for UPS or FedEx ground.”

So if that's the case, they are saving enormous amounts of money by using USPS.  Probably a few lost packages (even hundreds) wouldn't make a dent in the savings they are achieving by using the USPS, the "last mile" or "blue and brown make green" (Believe it or not, that's the motto of the UPS and USPS partnership).

Offline emliv85

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
What is going on with the shipping carriers in Jackson Heights. Is anyone else having this issue? I was at my in-laws on 74th st/35th ave and noticed two Amazon prime boxes hanging out in the foyer, one ripped open with an address on it from a couple blocks away. Then when I got home to my place on 79th, I noticed 3 boxes in my foyer which none of them even matching my address at all. I was able to get in touch with one of the boxes owners by the power of looking up there name on social media. The other 2 boxes are still there, what am I supposed to do, does the shipping company come back and re-deliver them to the correct address?

Crazy that you mention this -- I recently ordered nearly $100 worth of kitchen supplies with Prime, which was most likely shipped to me in at least 2 boxes. I found one of my boxes ripped open, some contents still inside, sitting in my building's trash closet on my floor! Never recovered the other box -- and I just assumed someone in my building must have stolen it from outside my door. I've never had an issue with theft of packages outside my door in the 9 years of living in this building, so either times have changed OR the mailperson failed to deliver to the correct address!

Have those boxes been claimed yet?? I'm really curious now if one is meant for me!

Offline mgrave22

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
I had this issue! Luckily the couple that received my box came and buzzed our apt and said to pick our package up from their terrace anytime. She also informed me she had another box on her terrace from other people in the neighborhood.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 03:43:34 PM »
I get everything delivered to work because of this.  Amazon doesn't just use the USPS for Sunday deliveries; they now use them for most of their prime deliveries and I hate it.  The reason I signed up for Prime is so I could avoid the PO and their crappy delivery.  They suck by my office as well - it's pretty rare that I actually get the item delivered within two days but I just call and complain and they give you a free month of Prime.  I am up to 9 free months because I now call every single time a package is late.

Offline HAMjacksonheights

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
I had this issue! Luckily the couple that received my box came and buzzed our apt and said to pick our package up from their terrace anytime. She also informed me she had another box on her terrace from other people in the neighborhood.

Out of the 3 boxes near my front door I was successfully able to track down the owner by Facebook, the other two boxes I couldn't find any info on. When I went back downstairs to walk my dog I noticed the box taken into my building and ripped open and the other box was gone. SMH...

At my in-laws building on 74th I noticed that there were open Amazon boxes earlier on Sunday, that prompted to take matters into my own hands and try and contact the owners....

If it was the USPS delivering they must of been drunk because the addresses were WAY OFF, I am talking 4-7 blocks away...makes no sense

Offline toque198

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 05:49:48 PM »
The Post Office claims:  "Your item was delivered to the front desk or reception area at 7:16 pm on October 8, 2015 in JACKSON HEIGHTS, NY 11372."  The Doorman was on duty at that time and had no USPS deliveries.  The package didn't arrive today either.  I submitted a USPS.com Email inquiry requesting an investigation of the Jackson Heights Office and included a link to this topic.  I suggest all of you do the same.

https://prd2faq.usps.com/faq/iq/usps/request.do?forward=emailUs

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »
Recently I found one of those "sorry we missed you" delivery notices on my mailbox, dated from two days earlier. Strangely, you need to get buzzed in to the building to get to the mailbox, and this wasn't a package that required a signature. I guess taking the elevator up a couple of floors to drop it off in front of the door was just too much work for the delivery person that day. Fast forward a week later and I *finally* got the box from a UPS drop off point in the neighborhood.

At my old apartment, my office was on the second floor facing the street. It was not uncommon for me to see the UPS truck pull up, and for me to go down to the front door if I knew a delivery was coming. I'd say about half the time the delivery person didn't even bother to ring the bell and just left a delivery attempt notice. Job security I guess.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
The other day I was visiting someone in the 80's and in the vestibule (that is accessible to anyone) there were at least 20 large packages left there. I was shocked. I live in a PH now but have gotten so many packages/mail lately from all over the area. I don't know what is going on with the local PO's but I know I have called numerous times and they do NOT care. I also notice when my regular mailman is off is when I either do not get mail (normally get a lot) or get everyone else's.

Offline AmazingJason

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »
The Post Office claims:  "Your item was delivered to the front desk or reception area at 7:16 pm on October 8, 2015 in JACKSON HEIGHTS, NY 11372."  The Doorman was on duty at that time and had no USPS deliveries.  The package didn't arrive today either.  I submitted a USPS.com Email inquiry requesting an investigation of the Jackson Heights Office and included a link to this topic.  I suggest all of you do the same.

https://prd2faq.usps.com/faq/iq/usps/request.do?forward=emailUs

I probably wouldn't even bother. I would just contact the merchant and have them ship out another package ASAP. I do notice that whenever I go this route that the merchant will invariably use UPS lol.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 05:47:32 PM »