Author Topic: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds  (Read 59991 times)

Offline hfm

• Mayor
Re: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
Maybe not "threat", but the number of times that the phrase "maybe our restaurant is not for you" in other posts by Stew and redge perhaps gave pause to the members of the community board. Particularly in light of opposition to the BID plan for Roosevelt Avenue, most in opposition seem to feel that it is primarily a tool for developers to push established neighborhood businesses out so that they can be replaced by businesses that will attract a demographic that would support modern high rises thrown up in sixth months.
But who knows....

Put me in the demographic that would love to see places like The Queensboro and Swim Two Birds open up and also would HATE HATE HATE to see the 1 story buildings along 37th built up.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
Maybe not "threat", but the number of times that the phrase "maybe our restaurant is not for you" in other posts by Stew and redge perhaps gave pause to the members of the community board. Particularly in light of opposition to the BID plan for Roosevelt Avenue, most in opposition seem to feel that it is primarily a tool for developers to push established neighborhood businesses out so that they can be replaced by businesses that will attract a demographic that would support modern high rises thrown up in sixth months.
But who knows....

So your theory is that the BID (about which I know almost nothing) may be supporting me financially to push out established businesses in the 37th and 76th Street area.

My theory is that my restaurant is outside the Jackson Heights Historic District, that I have never had a discussion with anybody from your BID, or whatever it's called, and just want to open a contemporary American restaurant.

And, as said in my last post, pay the people with whom I work properly, and make a contribution to Jackson Heights, where I happen to live, including dealing with food issues and youth training.

But as you say ... "Who knows?"

Sounds like you've decided that we won't be the right restaurant for you. Which is totally cool.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:43:07 PM by Stew »

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »
We made serious progress in the last couple of days. If anyone wants to come by and see the restaurant in progress (may be of interest to architectural, construction, interior design or photography students), let me know and I'll arrange a visit.

Stew

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
Better idea ...

If there's interest, and when we have reasonable seating (or if we can get space elsewhere), it might be great to have some sessions on opening a restaurant, from financing to space to design to construction to food to hiring staff to training to graphic and web design to social media.

Once we're open, it would be great to do that.

Offline Stew

• Council Member
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
We made serious progress in the last couple of days. If anyone wants to come by and see the restaurant in progress (may be of interest to architectural, construction, interior design or photography students), let me know and I'll arrange a visit.

Stew

If there are high school or post-secondary teachers reading this who have students who would benefit from visiting our work site, let me know. Also, our interior designer is very busy with stage productions, but we can probably arrange a time to meet with him, and I'm quite certain that design students would find it inspirational. His site is https://pauldepoo.com

I'm really interested in sharing our experience with this project.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:02:19 PM by Stew »

Offline queenskid2

• Activist
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2015, 12:23:29 AM »
Stew, I don't think the Roosevelt Avenue BID has anything to do with you.  However, I thought your space is within the historic district.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
Stew, this isn't the first time you've reached an incorrect understanding. I guess I'll just have to pay cash.

Offline Songodd

• Citizen
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »

Stew

If there are high school or post-secondary teachers reading this who have students who would benefit from visiting our work site, let me know. Also, our interior designer is very busy with stage productions, but we can probably arrange a time to meet with him, and I'm quite certain that design students would find it inspirational. His site is https://pauldepoo.com

I'm really interested in sharing our experience with this project.

Why not hire or use a new designer trying to cut his/her teeth or an equally talented student who could use the experience? 

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »
Anyone with updated information??? Is this place still happening?

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
petster, the mods created a different thread a while ago for this topic. They got their liquor license a few weeks ago so it looks like they are on track.  Here's a link to the newer thread:

http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=14129.0

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »
Thanks. Yes. I'm aware. I guess what I wanted to say is every time I walk by I see nothing happening.

Offline Breezie

• Council Member
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2016, 07:38:13 AM »
Thanks. Yes. I'm aware. I guess what I wanted to say is every time I walk by I see nothing happening.

It does appear this way.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »
something was happening on thursday, when a crew was tinkering. either with signage, or on the roof.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
Yes.  They've seemed to remove the front awning.  I remember reading that they were going to restore the face to the original marble. Urban archeology. Should look nice.

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »
Updates?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »