Author Topic: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds  (Read 59990 times)

Offline Stew

• Council Member
Re: Coming Soon: Swim Two Birds
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2015, 08:11:21 PM »
On Friday, we had a telephone discussion with Giovanna Ried, District Manager of our Community Board.

Here's the bottom line.

Ms. Reid admitted that she failed to tell our law firm, on record as the Board's contact with us, that we were required to attend the October meeting of the Board's Economic Committee.

Ms. Reid took the position that her failure to advise our law firm of record of the meeting wasn't her problem, but rather ours.

In other words, Ms. Reid's position, and indeed the Board's, to the extent that she represents it, is that it will be at least seven months before the full Board deals with our application. She made it quite clear that she thinks that this is hunkey dory.

On the question of Board members anonymously attacking applicants on this and other fora, Ms. Reid effectively said that our Board has no problem with such attacks.

Just stunning.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:23:33 PM by Stew »

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2015, 08:39:09 AM »
Stew,

I find this beyond outrageous.

It seems you've gotten off on the wrong foot with CB3 and now things have become very personal.  Unfortunately, this lackluster bunch can, at their whim, negatively affect your business and livelihood.

Since NYC always claims to be small business friendly and seeks to encourage the development of same, I would contact Small Business Services and ask for their input.  Danny Dromm should also be able to be of assistance here.

Perhaps a petition from neighborhood residents?

Best wishes for a quick resolution!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »
This is ridiculous and I'm sorry you are going through it.

Per madalyn's suggestion to speak the the Dept. of Small Business Services - I am very friendly with someone who was one of the top dogs there until a couple of months ago when he moved to a different agency - and I just asked him for advice regarding your situation.

He said that the City has very little power over the CBs but that they can help if you are getting the runaround from any other city agencies. It sounds like your main problem at this point is the community board.  My friend gave me a contact name for you, with the caveat that there's probably not much he can do.  I will send it to you in a PM.

Offline Crabby_Appleton

• Citizen
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
Time for all of us to start attending community board meetings. I'll look at the calendar and make the ones I'm able to—they need some kind of accountability. Do you REALLY need their approval for the liquor license, though? Aren't they just suggestions to the state liquor board? They're really shockingly inept and nasty. I'm so sorry they're treating you this way.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2015, 01:39:47 PM »
Interesting article (mentioning Ms. Reid) from Queens Crap on the nefarious workings of our CB 3.   

http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-did-cb3-try-to-meet-in-secret-about.html

Good luck with this bunch.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2015, 03:02:27 PM »
I don't think you need their approval. This community board is a joke and yes people from the community need to be more active and demand accountability. They are suppose to be working for the community. I might even think of contacting neighborhood media to have them investigate how the community board responds to residents. Really disheartening. You do have the support of the community to help in any way we can.

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »
This is ridiculous and I'm sorry you are going through it.

Per madalyn's suggestion to speak the the Dept. of Small Business Services - I am very friendly with someone who was one of the top dogs there until a couple of months ago when he moved to a different agency - and I just asked him for advice regarding your situation.

He said that the City has very little power over the CBs but that they can help if you are getting the runaround from any other city agencies. It sounds like your main problem at this point is the community board.  My friend gave me a contact name for you, with the caveat that there's probably not much he can do.  I will send it to you in a PM.

Outrageous again!  How is it that this unresponsive, ragtag group of people can wield such power that no other City agency get intervene?   Can they really be responsive to nobody?  Who is it that they serve?

I don't even live in the area anymore but I feel Stew's (and others') pain and I feel like someone should organize a mass march to the meeting, like we had for 78th Playstreet and the proposed expansion on 37th Ave. between 84th & 85th Streets.

CB3 would be better off if the whole group were retired and replaced.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »
Stew, I can no longer recall--did you reach out to Danny Dromm?

Re: publicity about the problem in the Queens media, how about in the Times? I can discuss with my husband, who works in media strategy and PR. We do have some connections at the Times as well, but of course they need to be pitched in the right way and then it's up to fate and luck a bit whether or not they bite, think the topic has broad enough importance, etc.

I have not had time to read the "queenscrap" link yet. Certainly this seems not on the up and up. Do certain people get preferential treatment? Does one have to pay someone off? These are just the questions that are coming to mind. I just don't get it--it's because of liquor, is that the issue? Before the Indian chain you are replacing, there was another Indian restaurant there that did serve wine and beer.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »
This sounds now as though it is a legal matter...

If our community board has caused you to lose money, you have every right to sue.

The truth of the exact situation...what's precisely going on with our community board.... will clarify when it is exposed to the light... in either a court or arbitration case.

The truth will out.

And

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”
(Martin Luther King)

There must be lawyers on this site who can advise or help you.

Another idea is to take this story to the New York Times and other media outlets.

I imagine they would be interested in writing a comprehensive expose of Community Boards...for New Yorker readers...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:15:07 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
Stew,

A friend suggested that you reach out to the Borough President Melinda Katz' office, since the Borough Pres. appoints C.B. members.

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2015, 09:42:45 AM »
I also suggest you get http://jacksonheightspost.com/ involved. They get quite a bit of traffic from local residents and the political class.

Offline Warren

• Tourist
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
On Friday, we had a telephone discussion with Giovanna Ried, District Manager of our Community Board.

Here's the bottom line.

Ms. Reid admitted that she failed to tell our law firm, on record as the Board's contact with us, that we were required to attend the October meeting of the Board's Economic Committee.

Ms. Reid took the position that her failure to advise our law firm of record of the meeting wasn't her problem, but rather ours.

In other words, Ms. Reid's position, and indeed the Board's, to the extent that she represents it, is that it will be at least seven months before the full Board deals with our application. She made it quite clear that she thinks that this is hunkey dory.

On the question of Board members anonymously attacking applicants on this and other fora, Ms. Reid effectively said that our Board has no problem with such attacks.

Just stunning.

This seems to have gotten out of hand. I do not think suing the CB is feasible or productive.  Dromm could be helpful as could media exposure.  Your post above is not totally clear. Did Reid not tell you of the meeting itself or that you had to attend.  Seems a fine line but could be significant.

I suggest dropping the attempt to unmask the anonymous posters on this board. Don't conflate the two issues. Plus it's never going to happen.

Offline Ecowoodlandsprite

• Tourist
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »
Why can't you go to their meeting on December 9th? Is their agenda too long for that meeting?

http://www.cb3qn.nyc.gov/

I honestly don't know how this works, but I don't understand why it is necessary to wait 7 months.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2015, 09:26:35 AM »
Perhaps during that Dec 9th meeting, the press could cover what's really going on? Reporters interested in Jackson Heights have contacted this forum...You could reach out to them and be present at that meeting ...and they could do some investigative journalism. Remember that folks who do the wrong thing when confronted tend to show their true colors. Fearful of being found out.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »
If this delays your opening by seven months or more - something that would make many small businesses go belly up - this is pretty shocking. Especially if there's a no contrition or effort made on the part of CB to accommodate you do to their own mistakes.

If there is a way that the members of this forum can help you, please let us know.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »